Monday - Strength
Front Squat 60kg x 5x5
Bench Press 70kg x 5x5
Pull-ups Bw+10kg x 5x5
RI: 3:00

Endurance
Stationary bike - 30min/Maff-forumla

Notes
Couldn't fit the last E session last week so moved it until today. Only had my Pl shoes so I did some cycling. The weights got bumped up for this week. Struggled a bit on the pull-ups, other than that it all felt great!
Can I ask you question, mate? What is Maff?
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Stefan Olsson

Re: A Norseman's Journey

Post by Stefan Olsson »

Barkadion wrote:
Stefan Olsson wrote: Endurance

Its a formula by Dr Phil Maffetone, who argues that the bulk of endurance training (runners primarily i think) should be done in a certain heart rate zone. The standard formula is 180-your age, (180 minus your age). In my case 180-33 = 147. Then there are some charts to specify it to you, if you are well trained, coming off an injury etc to tailor it better. And the formula can be even more precise if you use your actual maximum heart rate and subtract your age.

For many this seems like to slow to give effect but as you get better you will be able to run faster at the same heart rate. I used this for my sessions leading up to the half marathons last year with great results! If you don't have a heart rate clock, the talk-test as described in TBII works just as good in my opinion! :)
Last edited by Stefan Olsson on Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If a fight is inevitable, hit first.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Stefan Olsson wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
Stefan Olsson wrote: Endurance

Its a formula by Dr Phil Maffetone, who argues that the bulk of endurance training (runners primarily i think) should be done in a certain heart rate zone. The standard formula is 180-your age, (180 minus your age). In my case 180-33 = 147. Then there are some charts to specify it to you, if you are well trained, coming off an injury etc to tailor it better. And the formula can be even more precise if you use your actual maximum heart rate and subtract your age.

For many this seems like to slow to give effect but as you get better you will be able to run faster at the same heart rate. I used this for my sessions leading up to the half marathons last year with great results!
Interesting! I will look more into that. Thank you for the information!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Train_Hard_Live_Easy

Post by Train_Hard_Live_Easy »

Barkadion wrote:
Stefan Olsson wrote:
Barkadion wrote:

For many this seems like to slow to give effect but as you get better you will be able to run faster at the same heart rate. I used this for my sessions leading up to the half marathons last year with great results!
It's one I use in my training - came across it through Andrew Read's Running Strong book the other year and have used it since..... although it will seem mightily slow at first, same as Stefan, I have fabulous results from it.
Have a great one

Steve
Train Hard, Live Easy.
"What was hard to do, is sweet to remember" Seneca.

Stefan Olsson

Post by Stefan Olsson »

Train_Hard_Live_Easy wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
Stefan Olsson wrote:

It's one I use in my training - came across it through Andrew Read's Running Strong book the other year and have used it since..... although it will seem mightily slow at first, same as Stefan, I have fabulous results from it.
Hey, thanks for chiming in! :)

Glad you´ve found maffetone to well for you! Speaking of A. Read. He most certainly was one of the guys who got me into kettlebells! Great writer and sportsman.

Stefan Olsson

Post by Stefan Olsson »

Block 1 - Base Building - Week 2

Tuesday - Endurance
LSS x 40min / Maff-formula

Notes
Amazing night run in -10°C/14°F! Body felt great!

Stefan Olsson

Post by Stefan Olsson »

Wednesday - Endurance
LSS x 35min / Maff-formula

Notes
Icy roads, but went well.

Stefan Olsson

Post by Stefan Olsson »

Thursday - Strength
Front Squat 60kg x 5x5
Bench Press 70kg x 5x5
Pull-ups Bw+10kg x 5x5

Notes
Squats are easy, bench is feeling better and the pull-ups went well!

Stefan Olsson

Post by Stefan Olsson »

Sunday - Endurance
LSS x 45min / Maff-formula

Notes
Every session so far have been way below my current level. Starting to get back to normal distances next week.

Stefan Olsson

Post by Stefan Olsson »

Block 1 - Base Building - Week 3

Monday - Strength
Front Squat 67,5kg x 5x3
Bench Press 77,5kg x 5x3
Pull-ups Bw+22,5kg x 5x3

Notes
Getting more accustomed to the weights. Did all reps paused for bench. Pull-ups were really hard, just made all the reps by a small margin. I guess the Pull-ups are some sort of PR! :)