J-Madd's Training Log

J-Madd

Re: J-Madd's Training Log

Post by J-Madd »

Thanks Grouchy! I'm feeling really well today. During yesterday's roll I tore the nail on my left big toe almost completely off. By this morning that situation was looking like a pretty nasty mess and my wife (wisely) convinced me to go to urgent care. The doc put me on an antibiotic for the toe, maybe that will kill the last vestiges of this bug too.

Here's today's workout:

Narrow BP: 225/5x3
WPU: 15/5x5
DL: 335/5x4
Airdyne 3-mile Time Trial: 8.23.26

The narrow BP felt great today on my shoulders. My toe was smarting this afternoon, so I decided that waling squats out would not be the best idea (though I could comfortably use a mid-foot position on the Airdyne). Thus, I let the squats go for the day.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

I find that bjj and the flu don't mix.

I am not sure what it is, but hard grappling with someone has a whole different effect on recovery and I just find I never recover when slightly sick. I can smash out endless HIC sessions with snot running down my face and coughing my lungs out and I will manage to kick the flu, but I do one bjj session with a mild sore throat and I wake up feeling like I have the bubonic plague.

Just something to consider, but everyone is different.

Random fact is I have no issues with boxing or similar. Haha now I am curious to work out exactly why.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Hey friends. I'm sorry I haven't posted much the last couple weeks. Trust me, it's not because of a dearth of training on my part. I've been training BJJ x 4/week the last few weeks, and It's taking me some time to sort out what my off-the-mat training is going to look like when I'm rolling that much. Right now, however, I'm seeing very big improvements in my "game," so I'm want to double down on the momentum.

Adski

Post by Adski »

Would fighter be an option if you're rolling that much?

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Adski wrote:Would fighter be an option if you're rolling that much?
Probably. My week might look like this:

Tuesday: Off
Wednesday: BJJ
Thursday: BJJ
Friday: Fighter (+optional conditioning)
Saturday: BJJ
Sunday: Fighter (+optional conditioning)
Monday: BJJ

Whether I put some conditioning on Friday or Saturday will depend on how much off-the-mat conditioning I think I need when I'm rolling 4x/week. This seems pretty plausible, but I want to take my time and see how well I recovery from this much BJJ training. So far, so good.

Adski

Post by Adski »

J-Madd wrote:
Adski wrote:Would fighter be an option if you're rolling that much?
Probably. My week might look like this:

Tuesday: Off
Wednesday: BJJ
Thursday: BJJ
Friday: Fighter (+optional conditioning)
Saturday: BJJ
Sunday: Fighter (+optional conditioning)
Monday: BJJ

Whether I put some conditioning on Friday or Saturday will depend on how much off-the-mat conditioning I think I need when I'm rolling 4x/week. This seems pretty plausible, but I want to take my time and see how well I recovery from this much BJJ training. So far, so good.
True, I've found with a bit of extra boxing and especially skating, I've found even just a Tabata 8 rounder on the airbike can be enough without taking too much of a toll.
Are you looking to compete a bit this year?

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Adski wrote: Are you looking to compete a bit this year?
Definitely, I had a tournament postponed on Dec. 17 because of the weather, which has been rescheduled for Feb. 11.

Adski

Post by Adski »

Sounds like you will be more than ready to roll by then with all the extra work! (Mind the pun).

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Adski wrote:Sounds like you will be more than ready to roll by then with all the extra work! (Mind the pun).
I love the pun. It's amazing how much better I am than back in December. I'll still likely get my ass kicked, but I'm going in with a better sense of what I'm doing.

Adski

Post by Adski »

I reckon you might surprise yourself with all the practice you're getting in!