Fat loss

MxS/SE/HIC/E
PeterHealey

Fat loss

Post by PeterHealey »

Hi all, simple sustainable fat loss program. Any ideas? 54 years old, 5'-9" weighing approx 190lbs with possibly 20+ % body fat, most visible on my belly. Would like to get 'lean', sub 15% b/f would be nice. Currently 14 weeks into TB running Op/Black. Packed on some nice muscle and looking good everywhere apart from the belly. How do I lose it? Thanks in advance for the time you put into responding.
Pete

Tyr0331

Re: Fat loss

Post by Tyr0331 »

What's your diet like?

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

For some reason there's always a lot of controversy on this subject. That being said, If you can stick to it, I firmly stand by the belief that tracking calories and macronutrients is the most effective way of controlling body composition.

Use a calculator to estimate begging numbers. Track progress. Adjust accordingly.

I'm not saying there aren't other ways. I'm just saying this is the most effective way.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Green2Blue wrote:For some reason there's always a lot of controversy on this subject. That being said, If you can stick to it, I firmly stand by the belief that tracking calories and macronutrients is the most effective way of controlling body composition.

Use a calculator to estimate begging numbers. Track progress. Adjust accordingly.

I'm not saying there aren't other ways. I'm just saying this is the most effective way.
That is correct. I just want to add that personally, I found impossible to run TB with calorie deficit/maintenance. That drains me out quickly.
I am just curious if anyone has a different experience. But I am getting old anyway.. :lol:
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

PeterHealey

Post by PeterHealey »

Diet has been reasonably good for most of the time. Tried to maintain the suggested 1gram protein to b/w and then go from there. I eat very good foods in the form of lean meats, eggs, fish, broccoli, green beans. My carbs tend to be brown rice, Eziekiel bread (sprouted grain bread) and sweet potato Have used some measuring app (my fitness pal) for food but can get tedious. My job is sedentary so according to the calorie recommendations I should be hitting around only 2000 calories day for weight loss. I tend to rebel from the whole thing periodically and it all gets away from me for a couple days then I get back on the horse and try again. I can tend to undo whatever gains I make for a week in 2 days of mayhem. I feel like I'm answering my own question here and maybe need to just suck it up and be more consistent.
Pete
P.s I'm reminded of what K.B says in TB 3rd ed pg118 "Give yourself a year of CONSISTENT training and good eating habits"...."you will look like a ripped beast in time if you CONSISTENTLY follow the TB strength and conditioning protocols ". Takeaway= consistency.
P.P.s I realized I posted under the wrong board instead of the Nutrition/supplements section. Sorry.

xfitxm

Post by xfitxm »

PeterHealey wrote:Diet has been reasonably good for most of the time. Tried to maintain the suggested 1gram protein to b/w and then go from there. I eat very good foods in the form of lean meats, eggs, fish, broccoli, green beans. My carbs tend to be brown rice, Eziekiel bread (sprouted grain bread) and sweet potato Have used some measuring app (my fitness pal) for food but can get tedious. My job is sedentary so according to the calorie recommendations I should be hitting around only 2000 calories day for weight loss. I tend to rebel from the whole thing periodically and it all gets away from me for a couple days then I get back on the horse and try again. I can tend to undo whatever gains I make for a week in 2 days of mayhem. I feel like I'm answering my own question here and maybe need to just suck it up and be more consistent.
Pete
P.s I'm reminded of what K.B says in TB 3rd ed pg118 "Give yourself a year of CONSISTENT training and good eating habits"...."you will look like a ripped beast in time if you CONSISTENTLY follow the TB strength and conditioning protocols ". Takeaway= consistency.
P.P.s I realized I posted under the wrong board instead of the Nutrition/supplements section. Sorry.
When you gain weight after binging it's usually water. So not all the hard work is gone. Go back to you're good habits instead of continuing to binge and you'll be ok. In a year, a couple of days of not consistency won't ruin everything.

xfitxm

Post by xfitxm »

Barkadion wrote:
Green2Blue wrote:For some reason there's always a lot of controversy on this subject. That being said, If you can stick to it, I firmly stand by the belief that tracking calories and macronutrients is the most effective way of controlling body composition.

That is correct. I just want to add that personally, I found impossible to run TB with calorie deficit/maintenance. That drains me out quickly.
I am just curious if anyone has a different experience. But I am getting old anyway.. :lol:

Is it because your maintenance is higher than what the calculator told you?

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

xfitxm wrote:
Barkadion wrote:

Is it because your maintenance is higher than what the calculator told you?
Highly possible! But I've been on slow steady weight gain since I started TB. Is it all water? Don't think so. But most of it is due to carbs, creatine, and calories surplus. Frankly, I don't mind putting on some fat as long as my training go well. I just eat. Plenty.

But that's me...
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

PeterHealey wrote:Hi all, simple sustainable fat loss program. Any ideas? 54 years old, 5'-9" weighing approx 190lbs with possibly 20+ % body fat, most visible on my belly. Would like to get 'lean', sub 15% b/f would be nice. Currently 14 weeks into TB running Op/Black. Packed on some nice muscle and looking good everywhere apart from the belly. How do I lose it? Thanks in advance for the time you put into responding.
Pete
Pete, it's awesome hearing that you're packing on the muscle. But I'm a little surprised you're not losing fat as well to be honest.

Are you doing Black Standard or Black Professional? Also if you don't mind me asking, how consistent are your conditioning sessions and which sessions do you tend to choose? Finally how long have you been running Black + Op?

Generally speaking I've rarely seen anyone not start dropping weight (fat) doing compound lifts 3 x a week along with HIC'ng/E'ng 3 x. Even with a slightly sloppy diet.

PeterHealey

Post by PeterHealey »

Thanks for the input guys.
Doc I have been doing TB for 14 weeks now. Op/Black Professional. Very consistent for the past 14 weeks. I missed one HIC session in week 7 due to sickness. HIC's tend to lean towards the Fast 5's which also includes some hills. If weather gets in the way I have done the Meat Eater II. Playing around with KB swings after lifts and TGU's on my HIC days also. I have incorporated an E day every weekend. My E has been a mix of 7-mile ruck with 35-40# pack and if not ruck I'll run for about the same distance. I'm open to switching things up a little around the conditioning if needed but I'm really beginning to believe that consistency in diet is going to be the key.
Pete