Reading List

The Lounge
J-Madd

Re: Reading List

Post by J-Madd »

I obviously do a lot of reading for my job, but I'm not going to go down that rabbit hole!

I do like to read a lot of true crime books on the side, and recently I read Master Thieves by Stephen Kurkijan. It's about the Gardner Heist, which is the biggest art theft in history (they got a Vermeer and a Rembrandt, along with several other pieces, valued in the $100-millions) and it still stands unsolved for over twenty-five years. If you like true crime, this is a pretty good read.

I also just finished Errol Morris's Believing is Seeing, which is a collection of essays (by a documentary film maker) on whether photography is an inherently deceptive medium. This is off the path of my usual material, but I found this book fascinating. If you have any interest in photography, art, or media, this book is worth the read.

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

J-Madd wrote:I obviously do a lot of reading for my job, but I'm not going to go down that rabbit hole!

I do like to read a lot of true crime books on the side, and recently I read Master Thieves by Stephen Kurkijan. It's about the Gardner Heist, which is the biggest art theft in history (they got a Vermeer and a Rembrandt, along with several other pieces, valued in the $100-millions) and it still stands unsolved for over twenty-five years. If you like true crime, this is a pretty good read.

I also just finished Errol Morris's Believing is Seeing, which is a collection of essays (by a documentary film maker) on whether photography is an inherently deceptive medium. This is off the path of my usual material, but I found this book fascinating. If you have any interest in photography, art, or media, this book is worth the read.
J-Madd, you are barking up my tree. I love true crime and photographery. I'll for sure be checking out Master Thieves.

mtguy1976

Post by mtguy1976 »

Speaking of true crime, I really like The Ice Man: Confessions of a Mafia Contract Killer

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

I've recently developed a fascination for the D.B. Cooper case. Are there any definitive books or documentaries you all would recommend to get started with?

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

DocOctagon wrote:I've recently developed a fascination for the D.B. Cooper case. Are there any definitive books or documentaries you all would recommend to get started with?
I've never read anything detailed about the D.B. Cooper case, but that would be a fascinating event to research. I'm heading over to Amazon to see what's out there!

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

mtguy1976 wrote:Speaking of true crime, I really like The Ice Man: Confessions of a Mafia Contract Killer
I remember reading that when I was in college. That guy was demented. I'll always remember him burning someones feet with a road flare.

TangoZero

Post by TangoZero »

Tym87 wrote:
mtguy1976 wrote:Speaking of true crime, I really like The Ice Man: Confessions of a Mafia Contract Killer
I remember reading that when I was in college. That guy was demented. I'll always remember him burning someones feet with a road flare.
There's a Netflix movie (documentary?) on this guy. Haven't seen it yet, but wonder if it's any good.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Doing some reading on meditation.

- "The Relaxation Response" by Herbert Benson - done.
- "Mindfulness in plain English" by Henepola Gunaratana - reading now.

Next on the list:
- "Transcendence: Healing and Transformation Through Transcendental Meditation" by Norman E Rosenthal
- "Buddha in Blue Jeans" by Tai Sheridan.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

Barkadion wrote:Doing some reading on meditation.

Next on the list:
- "Transcendence: Healing and Transformation Through Transcendental Meditation" by Norman E Rosenthal
So Audible had Urban Monk for $2 a few days ago and I got it. Haven't got past the intro yet, but do you have experience with this? I just started Moon Walking with Einstein, it's about improving your memory, I definitely want to start working some of that into my life.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Tym87 wrote:
Barkadion wrote:Doing some reading on meditation.

Next on the list:

So Audible had Urban Monk for $2 a few days ago and I got it. Haven't got past the intro yet, but do you have experience with this? I just started Moon Walking with Einstein, it's about improving your memory, I definitely want to start working some of that into my life.
Do I have experience with meditation? I'm complete newbie if it comes to the practice. Whatever I have read/learned in the past is purely theoretical.

I'm trying to get into it now. Making my baby steps.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky