J-Madd's Training Log

grouchyjarhead

Re: J-Madd's Training Log

Post by grouchyjarhead »

J-Madd wrote:Probably. My week might look like this:

Tuesday: Off
Wednesday: BJJ
Thursday: BJJ
Friday: Fighter (+optional conditioning)
Saturday: BJJ
Sunday: Fighter (+optional conditioning)
Monday: BJJ

Whether I put some conditioning on Friday or Saturday will depend on how much off-the-mat conditioning I think I need when I'm rolling 4x/week. This seems pretty plausible, but I want to take my time and see how well I recovery from this much BJJ training. So far, so good.
That looks like a pretty solid approach to me. If you're rolling a lot, probably just one easy steady state run every week or so would probably be all you need for optional conditioning.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

I thought I would post this Ode to THLE:

Airdyne x 3 miles
A1: KB snatch/55 x 10-9-8 . . . 1
A2: 8-Count Bodybuilder x 2-4-6 . . . 20
Airdyne x 3 miles
B1: Double KB Press/35's x 10-9-8 . . . 1
B2: 2-Count Flutter Kicks x 4-8-10 . . . 40
Airdyine x 3 miles

I'm still piecing together how I want to play things in terms of S&C while I'm rolling 4 days/week. I'm going to do a Fobbit experiment on Sunday incorporating some ideas from K. Black's latest article.

Train_Hard_Live_Easy

Post by Train_Hard_Live_Easy »

Brilliant.

Nice one, matey
Have a great one

Steve
Train Hard, Live Easy.
"What was hard to do, is sweet to remember" Seneca.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Here's my first attempt at a Fobbit Interval variation:

Airdyne x 3 min
WPU/20 x 3
Airdyne x 3 min
Double KB C&P/55's x 3
Airdyne x 3

I cycled through that series for 53 minutes. I really like this approach; it checks both the strength and endurance boxes for me in a way that is very recovery friendly. That solves from puzzles for me!

nickgoldma

Post by nickgoldma »

Which cluster are you using for Fighter, Jim?
Get after it!

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

J-Madd wrote:
Adski wrote:Would fighter be an option if you're rolling that much?
Probably. My week might look like this:

Whether I put some conditioning on Friday or Saturday will depend on how much off-the-mat conditioning I think I need when I'm rolling 4x/week. This seems pretty plausible, but I want to take my time and see how well I recovery from this much BJJ training. So far, so good.
I am heading this way in terms of BJJ training. I am looking at getting on the mat at the very minimum 2 x a week, but I plan to progress to 4 x a week. This will be fun to manage when I return to shift work in the coming weeks.

I have been having success with OP I/A and putting a specific amount of mat time as my focus.I make sure I get to class twice a week and one of these is 1 Hr No Gi straight into 1 Hr wrestling. My OP I/A sessions fit in around BJJ and I throw in a couple of recovery days when required.I have just been using BJJ/Wrestling as my conditioning, however my club is good and I get a minimum of 5x5 min rolls in unless I need to leave early for work.

I plan out my OP I/A sessions and I just tick them off around BJJ, work and life in general. Some weeks I do two max strength sessions and some weeks I am able to get in up to 4 sessions. The main thing that is consistent is the BJJ. I find this works much better for me than the traditional weekly schedule. This means that I can put my focus into BJJ and still progress on my strength. It also allows me to push hard and hang around after class if I have the time. I can then take some extra time off if needed to recover.

Just another option to throw out there for an experiment :)

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

nickgoldma wrote:Which cluster are you using for Fighter, Jim?
Nick -- I'm not actually using Fighter right now, but if I were my cluster would be SQ/BP/WPU/BBRow, with plenty of swings and the occasional DL.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Maxrip13 wrote:
J-Madd wrote:
Adski wrote:Would fighter be an option if you're rolling that much?
Probably. My week might look like this:

I am heading this way in terms of BJJ training. I am looking at getting on the mat at the very minimum 2 x a week, but I plan to progress to 4 x a week. This will be fun to manage when I return to shift work in the coming weeks.

I have been having success with OP I/A and putting a specific amount of mat time as my focus.I make sure I get to class twice a week and one of these is 1 Hr No Gi straight into 1 Hr wrestling. My OP I/A sessions fit in around BJJ and I throw in a couple of recovery days when required.I have just been using BJJ/Wrestling as my conditioning, however my club is good and I get a minimum of 5x5 min rolls in unless I need to leave early for work.

I plan out my OP I/A sessions and I just tick them off around BJJ, work and life in general. Some weeks I do two max strength sessions and some weeks I am able to get in up to 4 sessions. The main thing that is consistent is the BJJ. I find this works much better for me than the traditional weekly schedule. This means that I can put my focus into BJJ and still progress on my strength. It also allows me to push hard and hang around after class if I have the time. I can then take some extra time off if needed to recover.

Just another option to throw out there for an experiment :)
You have some great ideas here MaxRip! I've actually been thinking a lot lately about the fine line between Fighter and OP I/A. You could just run OP "max flex." Some weeks you get two sessions, some weeks you get three (maybe four!). If your primary goal is somewhere else, so what! You get some strength work in when you can.

nickgoldma

Post by nickgoldma »

J-Madd wrote:
nickgoldma wrote:Which cluster are you using for Fighter, Jim?
Nick -- I'm not actually using Fighter right now, but if I were my cluster would be SQ/BP/WPU/BBRow, with plenty of swings and the occasional DL.
Oh, I see! I must've misread something. Are you still running Zulu then or are you taking a break? I know you're using BJJ. Haven't been up to date on here.
Get after it!

Jkk89

Post by Jkk89 »

Hey J-Madd, question. Im running operator+Black non I/ia . When do you know when to go from 3x5 to for example 5x5 or higher. Just on how you feel. ? Read trough all of your logs but didn't find a answer. Like i understand in the book its more on how you feel that day. If you can do 1 more set etc. Thanx for help/tips and an awesome Log.