Base Building Part Two

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Corax

Base Building Part Two

Post by Corax »

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to run my second BB block during the coming months. I've done it last year and trained with OP/Black for the rest of the year. I feel my aerobic conditioning could use an upgrade after a year.

Questions:

- I would like to enter an obstacle race in May. I've never done that and I can't help wondering whether one BB block is enough, because the book recommends Green for endurance races. I haven't touched green. Now, the endurance race is a one time thing only (yes, the girlfriend wants me to join her) and it's not THAT hard I believe (10k).
- I would obviously use running-based E sessions. I've read somewhere that KB recommends to ditch the HR monitor and go for longer E sessions if it's not your first BB block (or something along those lines). I'd like to use the HR monitor again to stay in the right zone, but maybe up the distances a bit. Say 45 minute runs and a longer one on Saturdays. Yay or nay? For people who have multiple BB blocks under their belt, how long are your E sessions? Do you still stick to the book's progression?

Thank you!

J-Madd

Re: Base Building Part Two

Post by J-Madd »

Corax wrote: - I would like to enter an obstacle race in May. I've never done that and I can't help wondering whether one BB block is enough, because the book recommends Green for endurance races. I haven't touched green. Now, the endurance race is a one time thing only (yes, the girlfriend wants me to join her) and it's not THAT hard I believe (10k).

Do a fun run on your Day 5 (Challenge Day), and you should be fine in terms of finishing an obstacle race.

- I would obviously use running-based E sessions. I've read somewhere that KB recommends to ditch the HR monitor and go for longer E sessions if it's not your first BB block (or something along those lines). I'd like to use the HR monitor again to stay in the right zone, but maybe up the distances a bit. Say 45 minute runs and a longer one on Saturdays. Yay or nay? For people who have multiple BB blocks under their belt, how long are your E sessions? Do you still stick to the book's progression?

I go a lot longer, but I like E work. If you are olde and/or want to keep every single last ounce of muscle, then you need to stick to the standard base building progressions. In your case, since you have an endurance goal (10K obstacle race), I would try to progress such that you can run a 10K casually.

Thank you!

Corax

Post by Corax »

Thanks, I was thinking about working up to a 10k as well. Shouldn't be that much of a problem, I've done more in the past.

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

Corax wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm planning to run my second BB block during the coming months. I've done it last year and trained with OP/Black for the rest of the year. I feel my aerobic conditioning could use an upgrade after a year.

Questions:

- I would like to enter an obstacle race in May. I've never done that and I can't help wondering whether one BB block is enough, because the book recommends Green for endurance races. I haven't touched green. Now, the endurance race is a one time thing only (yes, the girlfriend wants me to join her) and it's not THAT hard I believe (10k).

Thank you!
Base Building isn't really a training block if you think about it. It's a preparation phase. It's meant to elicit certain adaptations that you use as a jumping off point for Continuation. Continuation is the real training. You should never ever rely on Base alone. It has no speed work (by design) and is just one small step in a broader annual/semi-annual training plan.

If you're preparing for an OCR, then Green protocol should be your meat and potatoes. Ideally, Fighter Bangkok + Green. This is assuming you want a competitive time. You can easily get away with Black if you're sticking to the more basic OCRs like the easier Spartans, Tough Mudders etc.

With Base Building, keep the heartrate under control. Use a monitor. Don't worry about Funruns.

With Green, throw away the monitor and start adding speed/intervals to your longer E runs. Do lots and lots of Funruns during Green, varying the speeds and distances. Experiment with extended duration and longer distances.

Harness the power of specificity. Keep specificity in mind when you design your Base block, and keep it in mind when you design your Continuation block.

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

I do want to stress that even Black protocol (Professional) is sufficient for shorter OCRs. For a 10k, something like this after your Base block;

1 x 7-10k Funrun/week
1 x fast 5/week
1 x hills/meateater/BOO

Corax

Post by Corax »

That my problem, I would do the race in two months time so there's just enough time to do BB. If I had more time, I'd probably do it the way you suggest. Thanks for the reply!

StayGrey

Post by StayGrey »

Corax wrote:That my problem, I would do the race in two months time so there's just enough time to do BB. If I had more time, I'd probably do it the way you suggest. Thanks for the reply!
I think you're missing DocOc's point... Base by itself isn't suitable for race prep.
You'd be better off going straight to Green if you just have time for one or the other. Especially if you already have a BB under your belt and you've been keeping up on your conditioning somewhat. You'll need to work on your speed and pacing at the longer distances. Assuming you're concerned about your time and placing....if you're just looking for a finish then Base will be enough.....and honestly you'll probably still do better than most ;)

Corax

Post by Corax »

I should've emphasized that I'm not looking to finish first. I'll give it my all but I'm not concerned with competitive times.