Deadlift question

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Barkadion

Re: Deadlift question

Post by Barkadion »

Jefferson wrote:It also depends on how much you deadlift. There is a huge difference between pulling 3x5 @315 vs 495+. I can only deadlift heavy a few times a month without it affecting my other activities. Heavy deadlifts also require an extra hour or so of sleep for a few days. But I include deadlifts as part of conditioning and feel fine. One of my favorites is:

10 rounds
225x10 deadlift
25 cal airdyne

I really focus on accelerating the bar as fast as possible, as if I was pulling much heavier.
It looks like version of Fobbits/Fun runs. So, you are cycling through DL/AD for 10rds? I like that!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Jefferson

Post by Jefferson »

Yep. I deadlift 225x10 then immediately hop on the Airdyne and crank out 25 cals as hard as possible (35-40 seconds), recover for a minute or two, then repeat. This feels very much like having your soul crushed by a 220lb BJJ black belt. It doesn't feel injurious, but it forces you to dig deep. Done in 40 minutes or so.

Weekends I try and do a long team based/partner workout with multiple components that are more similar to fun runs. The exercise selection is based on 1) what I've been doing during the week 2) arranging the load and order to maintain high skill activities for a 2-3 hour period while building general work capacity and mental toughness.

Last weeks was:

4 rounds
Climb 7 boulder routes up to V5
CMB swing to overhead 35#
CMB walking renegade row 20#
CMB TGU 50#
10 kettlebell swing 40kg
Run 1 mile

Weekend before:

7 rounds
Row 500m (1:50 or below)
Deadlift 225x10
10 renegade row
10 kettlebell swing 40kg
Overhead dumbbell walk 100 meters
Climb 5 routes up to V5
Play a round of the board game operation (forced down regulation)
Barkadion wrote:
Jefferson wrote:It also depends on how much you deadlift. There is a huge difference
between pulling 3x5 @315 vs 495+. I can only deadlift heavy a few times a month without it affecting my other activities. Heavy deadlifts also require an extra hour or so of sleep for a few days. But I include deadlifts as part of conditioning and feel fine. One of my favorites is:

10 rounds
225x10 deadlift
25 cal airdyne

I really focus on accelerating the bar as fast as possible, as if I was pulling much heavier.
It looks like version of Fobbits/Fun runs. So, you are cycling through DL/AD for 10rds? I like that!

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Jefferson wrote:Yep. I deadlift 225x10 then immediately hop on the Airdyne and crank out 25 cals as hard as possible (35-40 seconds), recover for a minute or two, then repeat. This feels very much like having your soul crushed by a 220lb BJJ black belt. It doesn't feel injurious, but it forces you to dig deep. Done in 40 minutes or so.

Weekends I try and do a long team based/partner workout with multiple components that are more similar to fun runs. The exercise selection is based on 1) what I've been doing during the week 2) arranging the load and order to maintain high skill activities for a 2-3 hour period while building general work capacity and mental toughness.

Last weeks was:

4 rounds
Climb 7 boulder routes up to V5
CMB swing to overhead 35#
CMB walking renegade row 20#
CMB TGU 50#
10 kettlebell swing 40kg
Run 1 mile

Weekend before:

7 rounds
Row 500m (1:50 or below)
Deadlift 225x10
10 renegade row
10 kettlebell swing 40kg
Overhead dumbbell walk 100 meters
Climb 5 routes up to V5
Play a round of the board game operation (forced down regulation)
I like that a lot!
Jefferson wrote:Yep. I deadlift 225x10 then immediately hop on the Airdyne and crank out 25 cals as hard as possible (35-40 seconds), recover for a minute or two, then repeat.
Do you recover by slow AD cycling?

Jefferson

Post by Jefferson »

[/quote]

Do you recover by slow AD cycling?[/quote]

I get off the bike immediately and shadow box, walk around, shake out my arms, and practice a few deadlift set ups to make sure my deadlifts are on point. If I recover on the airdyne I'll get lazy and a little too loose. I like to feel fully engaged before deadlifts.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Jefferson wrote:
Do you recover by slow AD cycling?[/quote]

I get off the bike immediately and shadow box, walk around, shake out my arms, and practice a few deadlift set ups to make sure my deadlifts are on point. If I recover on the airdyne I'll get lazy and a little too loose. I like to feel fully engaged before deadlifts.[/quote]

That's intense for 40min. I am thinking of trying that with my next block. Thank you.

Jefferson

Post by Jefferson »

I may start recording a training log, but until then here is another way to add deadlifts in a short workout.

The trick to getting this done efficiently is warming up during setup.

Row 250, deadlift 135
Row 250, deadlift 225

Then;
5 rounds
250m row
315x5 deadlift

Was super busy so had to squeeze in a quick workout. Finished in 12:05.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Jefferson wrote:I may start recording a training log, but until then here is another way to add deadlifts in a short workout.

The trick to getting this done efficiently is warming up during setup.

Row 250, deadlift 135
Row 250, deadlift 225

Then;
5 rounds
250m row
315x5 deadlift

Was super busy so had to squeeze in a quick workout. Finished in 12:05.
My thinking is that you can "replace" swings with "light" DL for HIC sessions. I might give it a go if my next cluster is SQ/BP/WPU. So, I still have some DL with HIC..

Will be very interested in reading your logs!