Building endurance+Football

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Coconut

Building endurance+Football

Post by Coconut »

I'm a highschool junior hoping to pursue an NROTC Marine Option Scholarship my senior year. As part of the process I'm going to have to take and get a competitive score on the Marine PFT this fall (pullups, crunches, 3 mile run). I'm fine on the pullups and crunches but I struggle with longer distance running (7.5 minute mile, 28 minute 3 mile).

The problem is I'm a football player, so I'm not sure how to incorporate endurance training with my schedule of football conditioning 3-4x a week. Should I do the endurance workouts from Base Building and then switch to Green protocol (again just the endurance workouts)? What do you guys think?

DocOctagon

Re: Building endurance+Football

Post by DocOctagon »

The way I see it you should try and get a Base Building block in. Not necessarily the SE circuits...but the LISS/ aerobic runs.

Do you have 4-6 weeks "off season"? If so work in 3-6 LISS runs every week and stay within the heart rate guidelines for that period of time.

If you don't have an off-season or you're short on time, you might have to double up with your football training. Add in a morning or after-practice LISS 3-5 times a week, keep it up for around 6 weeks.
LISS shouldn't take a lot out of you if you're doing it correctly and staying in the 130-150 zone.

After your 6 weeks of LISS running's up, move on to Black for Continuation. Stick to 3 mile tempo runs and hills for HIC.

Coconut

Post by Coconut »

DocOctagon wrote:The way I see it you should try and get a Base Building block in. Not necessarily the SE circuits...but the LISS/ aerobic runs.

Do you have 4-6 weeks "off season"? If so work in 3-6 LISS runs every week and stay within the heart rate guidelines for that period of time.

If you don't have an off-season or you're short on time, you might have to double up with your football training. Add in a morning or after-practice LISS 3-5 times a week, keep it up for around 6 weeks.
LISS shouldn't take a lot out of you if you're doing it correctly and staying in the 130-150 zone.

After your 6 weeks of LISS running's up, move on to Black for Continuation. Stick to 3 mile tempo runs and hills for HIC.

The only real "off season" we have is December and 2 weeks in July, so I'll start adding LISS 3-5x a week in the morning then before moving on to Black. Do you think I should follow the Base Building template for that? Start with 30 minutes and work up to 60?

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

What position do you play in football?

Also, keep in mind that you can rarely serve two masters effectively. You might have to decide at some point whether the ROTC opportunity is simply more important to you than football. I'm not saying you will have to quite football, but you might need to compromise football for the sake of ROTC, especially if you play a position that requires you to keep a lot of mass, etc.

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

Coconut wrote:
DocOctagon wrote:The way I see it you should try and get a Base Building block in. Not necessarily the SE circuits...but the LISS/ aerobic runs.

The only real "off season" we have is December and 2 weeks in July, so I'll start adding LISS 3-5x a week in the morning then before moving on to Black. Do you think I should follow the Base Building template for that? Start with 30 minutes and work up to 60?
Yes, I think that's a good way to go. It'll give you some structure. Main thing is to keep your LISS low intensity, I can't stress this enough. Get yourself a heartrate monitor if you don't already have one.

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

J-Madd wrote:What position do you play in football?

Also, keep in mind that you can rarely serve two masters effectively. You might have to decide at some point whether the ROTC opportunity is simply more important to you than football. I'm not saying you will have to quite football, but you might need to compromise football for the sake of ROTC, especially if you play a position that requires you to keep a lot of mass, etc.
I would agree here. It might suck to cut back on football, but a $180,000 scholarship doesn't come around often...