Genetic Lactate Threshold

MxS/SE/HIC/E
spemma

Genetic Lactate Threshold

Post by spemma »

I took the 23andme genetic tests a couple of years ago, and I used the results to upload to a company called Athletigen. It was free to do so, and Athletigen gave some results surrounding nutrition, athletics, and psychology.

The results were generally in line with what I experienced through my life in diet and exercise, but one item that was a surprise was low trainability of my lactate threshold. Here's an excerpt from my results:

"Your low trainability means that your lactate threshold levels may adapt slower to training compared to others. If a high lactate threshold is important to your fitness goals, adjust your training program to allow more time to reach your optimal levels."

With that in mind, I'm assuming for future training I should focus more effort on my lactate threshold? What HIC's would be best suited to do so? Fast 5's? Others?

Or could this really mean not much at all?

Aelian

Re: Genetic Lactate Threshold

Post by Aelian »

I wouldn't worry about it. Run TB in accordance with your goals and all will fall into place.

Fast 5s, 600 Resets, tempo runs, most HICs train lactate tolerance anyway (almost anything besides LISS) so really you're good to go regardless of what Continuation you go with.
Last edited by Aelian on Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aelian

Post by Aelian »

spemma wrote:I took the 23andme genetic tests a couple of years ago, and I used the results to upload to a company called Athletigen. It was free to do so, and Athletigen gave some results surrounding nutrition, athletics, and psychology.

The results were generally in line with what I experienced through my life in diet and exercise, but one item that was a surprise was low trainability of my lactate threshold. Here's an excerpt from my results:

"Your low trainability means that your lactate threshold levels may adapt slower to training compared to others. If a high lactate threshold is important to your fitness goals, adjust your training program to allow more time to reach your optimal levels."

With that in mind, I'm assuming for future training I should focus more effort on my lactate threshold? What HIC's would be best suited to do so? Fast 5's? Others?

Just curious, would you recommend 23 and how was your overall experience? Did you come away with any concrete recommendations in terms of supplements or nutritional strategies?

spemma

Post by spemma »

Aelian wrote:
spemma wrote:I took the 23andme genetic tests a couple of years ago, and I used the results to upload to a company called Athletigen. It was free to do so, and Athletigen gave some results surrounding nutrition, athletics, and psychology.

Just curious, would you recommend 23 and how was your overall experience? Did you come away with any concrete recommendations in terms of supplements or nutritional strategies?
first, thanks for the advice again.

second, yes i would recommend 23andme. the price isn't too bad, and there's a lot of interesting features on there. you get a full ancestry report, carrier status for 42 genetic diseases reports, genetic health risk reports, genetic traits (taste and smell, facial features, hair, physical characteristics, etc.), and wellness (response to certain diets, caffeine response, muscle composition, etc.).

23andme used to be able to tell you more, but the FDA cracked down on them and they had to pull back some of their reports. but they are reintroducing some of them, and there's new reports based on completed research every few months.

furthermore, once you get your DNA sequenced, you can interface with a number of other sports add-on sites. one of them is Athletigen, for which i learned about my lactate threshold. another company, Promethease, gives you a whole data dump spreadsheet of how your genetics line up with known genetic research. the spreadsheet is a bit difficult to navigate, but once you get the hang of it, there's a ton of info in there.

some of the stuff is self-evident. i always knew i was more of a sprinter than an endurance athlete. i knew that i'm not lactose intolerant, that i'm about an average weight and not predisposed to being overweight, etc. in a way, it can be somewhat underwhelming because you have a very good sense of yourself already.

but there are still some good revelations (e.g. lactate threshold), including the fact that i learned i am predisposed to gain more weight on a high saturated fat diet. that was interesting because i was full paleo for a couple years and did well weight wise...not performance wise though.

a bit all over the place here, but i would definitely recommend it. i got it two years ago and there's still new stuff coming out that gets me interested.