Preparing for PFT - Help

MxS/SE/HIC/E
supernova

Preparing for PFT - Help

Post by supernova »

I have a similar question to what another user posted, however I have close to about 8 months to prepare. Briefly stated, I'm preparing for a PFT consisting of max sit-ups in 1 minute, 300m sprint, max pushups (untimed), and 1.5 mile run. Current results are as follows: 45 sit-ups, 1 minute (300m sprint), 31 pushups, 13:30 (1.5m run). I've just begun fully training again after recovering from my injury, but my numbers weren't significantly better beforehand.
I'd just like some advice on exactly what I should do as I want to make sure I'm targeting solely these events and giving myself the best opportunity to maximize these numbers.
I'm on my 2nd week of BB (SE first) and plan on using Black Professional for continuation.

For BB my SE consists of pushups, sit-ups, air squats. Should I add more?
I've noticed I barely am able to complete the first set of 30 pushups and struggle during sets 2 and 3. Even when I was doing tons of pushups for weeks before, I always tended to struggle. Not sure if its mental but it feels like its getting harder rather than easier. Is it a general rule I should be able to complete the first set of SE exercises without having to rest and resume?

I know I'm all over the place, but to reiterate could you provide specific guidance on what exercises I should incorporate in my SE and HIC clusters as well as if Black Professional will suffice? Thanks.

spemma

Re: Preparing for PFT - Help

Post by spemma »

there are those that will be better qualified to answer than me, since i asked a similar question. with that said, i did have passing scores on the events, so i may have some street cred with regards to my answers.

on the HIC's, the Fast 5's and 600m resets appear to be working well. the fast 5's are helping mentally for the 1.5 mile, and the 600m resets appear as if they will benefit my 300m sprint ability. i'm taking another practice PFT this weekend, so we will see.

sounds like you are in real need of strength work to get those pushup numbers up. to that end, i would think that bench press should be a necessary component when you hit the strength work.

think about your technique too. for sit ups, you should be basically falling to the ground. no need to waste energy lowering yourself down in a controlled manner. similar story with push ups - let your body drop and only tighten at the very bottom, then use your energy/strength/SE to push up only.

my $0.02.

supernova

Post by supernova »

spemma wrote:there are those that will be better qualified to answer than me, since i asked a similar question. with that said, i did have passing scores on the events, so i may have some street cred with regards to my answers.

on the HIC's, the Fast 5's and 600m resets appear to be working well. the fast 5's are helping mentally for the 1.5 mile, and the 600m resets appear as if they will benefit my 300m sprint ability. i'm taking another practice PFT this weekend, so we will see.

sounds like you are in real need of strength work to get those pushup numbers up. to that end, i would think that bench press should be a necessary component when you hit the strength work.

think about your technique too. for sit ups, you should be basically falling to the ground. no need to waste energy lowering yourself down in a controlled manner. similar story with push ups - let your body drop and only tighten at the very bottom, then use your energy/strength/SE to push up only.

my $0.02.
Thank you spemma that helps a lot. I'll be sure to implement them into my HIC workouts. It's always great to hear from a fellow trainee. I feel comfortable with sit-ups although I can improve, but the other 3 events are a killer for me at the moment. I think Black Professional for continuation would work, but waiting on someone who can confirm this. Good luck in the process.

Aelian

Post by Aelian »

There are numerous detailed threads about PFT prep throughout the forum. In fact there's an extensive 2-3 pager two threads below this one.

Do a little research. Read the threads on the forum and have a look at the training logs. Several people are logging PFT SPECIFIC prep journals. Put a little work into it yourself rather than waiting to be spoon fed. After you browse the forum, put together a concise plan and ask for a critique. Be specific and clear with your questions and don't treat this place like your personal trainer.

And yes, Black Professional is perfect for Continuation for PFT prep. You'll find out exactly what HICs and Es people like to use with a little digging/effort.

supernova

Post by supernova »

My initial search didn't yield much info, but I dug deeper into my search and was able to gather some more info pertaining to my questions. I'll lay out my plan and hopefully it will get the "stamp of approval." Again I want to make sure I target my specific events to afford myself the opportunity to max those numbers.

BB
SE Cluster: Push-ups, sit-ups, air squats (Are these 3 exercises sufficient or should I add more? Is the standard sets x reps fine or should I use Alpha Circuits?
HIC: As spemma suggested ill alternate Fast5 and 600m resets.
E: LSS Runs

Max Strength: I'll use Fighter with BP, Squat, Bodyweight pull-ups (my max is only about 3)

- I'm prob overthinking this, but I'm a little worried about weeks 6-8 since there is no SE.

Continuation: Black Professional + Fighter Bangkok
HIC: Should I primarily stick to Fast5 and 600m resets? I was thinking of sprinkling in Oxygen Debt 101, Speed-Endurance Ladders. I was also considering hill workouts since KB mentions how great they are, however I live around fairly flat terrain. If highly suggested I could drive some miles away to use the nearest hill.

Fighter Bangkok: Would doing only 1 SE a week suffice? Again I'm prob overanalyzing it since the strength work would help increase the numbers.

Thanks for your guys' patience with me and invaluable help.

Aelian

Post by Aelian »

supernova wrote:My initial search didn't yield much info, but I dug deeper into my search and was able to gather some more info pertaining to my questions. I'll lay out my plan and hopefully it will get the "stamp of approval." Again I want to make sure I target my specific events to afford myself the opportunity to max those numbers.

BB
SE Cluster: Push-ups, sit-ups, air squats (Are these 3 exercises sufficient or should I add more? Is the standard sets x reps fine or should I use Alpha Circuits?
HIC: As spemma suggested ill alternate Fast5 and 600m resets.
E: LSS Runs

Max Strength: I'll use Fighter with BP, Squat, Bodyweight pull-ups (my max is only about 3)

- I'm prob overthinking this, but I'm a little worried about weeks 6-8 since there is no SE.

HIC: Should I primarily stick to Fast5 and 600m resets? I was thinking of sprinkling in Oxygen Debt 101, Speed-Endurance Ladders. I was also considering hill workouts since KB mentions how great they are, however I live around fairly flat terrain. If highly suggested I could drive some miles away to use the nearest hill.

Fighter Bangkok: Would doing only 1 SE a week suffice? Again I'm prob overanalyzing it since the strength work would help increase the numbers.

Thanks for your guys' patience with me and invaluable help.
See, much easier to deal with posts like this when the questions are laid out clearly.

I like your SE cluster for your goals. I would add pull-ups or chins. Doing high rep chins/PUs SE style can be a little much, so one practice around here is to cap your chins at 20 reps instead of 30 or 50 like your other SE exercises. In your case you could cap the pull-ups at 10 since your max is 3 right now. My personal preference is Alpha circuits 3 x week. You get 3 x week of SE, and 3 x week of running/LISS. I like the more frequent-but-lower-rep approach to SE. That's just me though.

The general consensus is to do one LISS, one middle distance tempo run, and one session of speedwork. Any of the workouts you mentioned are fine for speedwork, and in fact I would recommend you DON'T restrict yourself to 600m resets. 600m resets are over-rated imo when used solely at the expense of the other track workouts. The middle distance tempo run is very important. It's important you treat it as a tempo run and not LISS, i.e. put some effort into it, don't jog it. It shouldn't be comfortable. That's where people fuck up with tempo runs, they make them barely faster than their LISS. I'll repeat, tempo runs (like Fast-5) should NOT be comfortable.

Your Fighter cluster is fine. Use a training max. Add in push-ups and sit-ups as a finisher after your fighter strength work. Nothing crazy, just 2-3 sets of 20-30. This will help keep your BW stuff "grooved". So you'll be getting push-ups, sit-ups and pull-ups 3 times a week all the way through.

This is my two cents, hopefully others will chime in with some good advice.

close_fox

Post by close_fox »

supernova wrote: BB
SE Cluster: Push-ups, sit-ups, air squats (Are these 3 exercises sufficient or should I add more?

Don't. You won't lose anything. Do some light sets of push-ups and sit-ups during your E runs to keep your PFT exercises greased. I would add TRX rows to your cluster. That will allow you to progress a pulling movement along with your push-ups (equivalent reps). I bet you a beer it would increase your current 3 max to at least 5, without doing any pull-ups. Another approach would be to do pull-ups as Aelian said. Either way is fine, just pick one. Think about doing KB/DB swings too. That would give you a well rounded cluster of five exercises.

Not worth driving to a hill IMO. Choose a track-based running HIC, stick with it, and make progress. Don't get too wrapped up in analyzing one HIC against another. Choose one and run fast.

"You oughta know not to stand by the window. Somebody see you up there." Talking Heads. "Life During Wartime." Fear of Music, Sire, 1979.

supernova

Post by supernova »

Can't thank you guys enough for the input. Just have a few things I want to iron out.

For Dumbbell Swings, what is the rule of thumb for the weight to be used?

@Aelian did you mean add SE finisher to Fighter during BB or during Fighter + Bangkok for continuation?

I'm stuck on the fence between using alpha circuit or the standard for SE during BB. I foresee difficulty during the 2nd week finishing the first set of 3x30 without breaking them down into "mini sets" if using the 5 exercises in my cluster. If I go the alpha circuit route, would I alternate each day between E and SE or just add an SE to day 5 since that's a rest day? If just subbing SE into the 5th day, I'm assuming its fine to do 2 SE days back to back? Sorry about getting so detailed just want to make sure I'm doing all this right.

close_fox

Post by close_fox »

supernova wrote:Can't thank you guys enough for the input. Just have a few things I want to iron out.

For Dumbbell Swings, what is the rule of thumb for the weight to be used?

I'm gonna challenge you to find this info in the texts. Re-read TB2, Part II, Endurance Session #8 "SE Circuits" and TB, Strength Endurance, SE Circuits, Load. It's there.

I'm stuck on the fence between using alpha circuit or the standard for SE during BB. I foresee difficulty during the 2nd week finishing the first set of 3x30 without breaking them down into "mini sets" if using the 5 exercises in my cluster. This answer is also in the TB2 section I asked you to re-read above.

If I go the alpha circuit route, would I alternate each day between E and SE or just add an SE to day 5 since that's a rest day? If just subbing SE into the 5th day, I'm assuming its fine to do 2 SE days back to back? Sorry about getting so detailed just want to make sure I'm doing all this right.

I think you are trying to combine two separate and distinct approaches. One approach is to alternate 3x Alpha SE circuits with 3xE (LSS). The other approach, the BB template in TB2, has 2xSE and 3xE. The BB template's SE circuits are higher volume, less frequent. Alpha circuits are lower volume, more frequent. I personally like the BB template approach because it rebuilt my ability to run comfortably on consecutive days.

You are a good candidate for the "do this" TB2's 17 week LE program (as was I). I suggest you turn your brain off and just follow it.
"You oughta know not to stand by the window. Somebody see you up there." Talking Heads. "Life During Wartime." Fear of Music, Sire, 1979.