Strength first BB question

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Brett

Strength first BB question

Post by Brett »

Hi from a new guy. I'm looking for clarification. When substituting max strength for SE in the first five weeks of BB should I substitute only those days for each other rather than doing five weeks of the full week 6-8 schedule first then three weeks of week 1-5 schedule.
Not sure if the max strength sessions are antagonistic to the many E sessions in weeks 1-5.
Apologies for my ignorance but previously I have avoided strength/anaerobic work during aerobic/base building periods as advised by PhIl Maffetone, whose base building methods have worked for me in the past. He is strongly endurance focussed however.
I do realise that TB conditioning is all about multi faceted training but I want to avoid doing activities which are opposed to each other metabolically speaking, though I am keen to build strength.
Thanks and apologies again if I'm over complicating what is simple.
Training = work + rest

mikhou

Re: Strength first BB question

Post by mikhou »

Brett, I can only speak from personal experience, but I ran a 6-week BB phase back in February and into March and did strength first with Fighter using a cluster of BP/SQ/ WCU/DL(alternating). I did E work 3x/week and Max Strength work 2x/wk. After six weeks, I moved on into Continuation, but I have kept an hour long E session in my schedule at least every 2 weeks. Here's an interesting note about my Fighter experience during BB. I had just come off of an Op I/A cycle (squatting 3x every 8 days). When I moved to Fighter, my squat days felt just as good or better than on Op I/A. I'm still squatting 2x/week and I'm still progressing.

Bottom line is that I had no ill effects on my E work from doing the Strength First template, nor did I have any ill effects on my squats from doing that much E work.

mikhou

Brett

Post by Brett »

Thanks for your reply mikhou. I'm planning on using fighter/black as my continuation. Looks like I will just do the max strength instead of SE sessions and stick with the E work for the first five weeks of BB.
I'm starting from a fairly low base and turning 48 next month so I'm sure whatever I do will result in progress as long as I don't knock myself out. Slowly but surely is my motto.
Training = work + rest

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Brett wrote:Thanks for your reply mikhou. I'm planning on using fighter/black as my continuation. Looks like I will just do the max strength instead of SE sessions and stick with the E work for the first five weeks of BB.
I'm starting from a fairly low base and turning 48 next month so I'm sure whatever I do will result in progress as long as I don't knock myself out. Slowly but surely is my motto.
Mikhou is getting it right: five weeks of strength followed by three weeks of SE.

Brett

Post by Brett »

Yeah I thought I was reading it right but like to make sure. Thanks for the reply J-Madd. I'm enjoying reading ageless athlete too.
Training = work + rest