A hidden benefit of Base Building

MxS/SE/HIC/E
WallBilly

A hidden benefit of Base Building

Post by WallBilly »

Sure, it's great for getting the aerobic system back up to speed, and getting some SE torture in (5 movements x 3 sets x 50 reps = Arrgh!)

KB and J-Madd say it is also great for giving your CNS a break if you've been lifting heavy for a long time.

I found a new benefit this time, one year since last Base Building. I just got to Week 6, first MS workout was yesterday morning. You know what? A nagging inner-thigh soreness that was bugging me for 4 months on squats and ice hockey goaltending was completely gone. Taking the occasional week off from MS during the season did not do the trick, but 5 weeks of SE instead of MS did.

So add this to the benefits of occasional Base Building: It can give chronic injuries time to heal by not pushing the heavy weights around for a while.

But it's way better than taking a month or more off of lifting.

Barkadion

Re: A hidden benefit of Base Building

Post by Barkadion »

WallBilly wrote:Sure, it's great for getting the aerobic system back up to speed, and getting some SE torture in (5 movements x 3 sets x 50 reps = Arrgh!)

KB and J-Madd say it is also great for giving your CNS a break if you've been lifting heavy for a long time.

I found a new benefit this time, one year since last Base Building. I just got to Week 6, first MS workout was yesterday morning. You know what? A nagging inner-thigh soreness that was bugging me for 4 months on squats and ice hockey goaltending was completely gone. Taking the occasional week off from MS during the season did not do the trick, but 5 weeks of SE instead of MS did.

So add this to the benefits of occasional Base Building: It can give chronic injuries time to heal by not pushing the heavy weights around for a while.

WB, are you doing standard BB version?
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

WallBilly

Post by WallBilly »

Almost standard.

5 weeks of SE with 3 E/week (standard, except adjust the run times downward for old-farts - 30-45 minutes)

3 weeks of MS but I am not adding in HIC - feel the need to keep working on my E. Will add in HIC after BB.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

WallBilly wrote:Almost standard.

5 weeks of SE with 3 E/week (standard, except adjust the run times downward for old-farts - 30-45 minutes)

3 weeks of MS but I am not adding in HIC - feel the need to keep working on my E. Will add in HIC after BB.
I think I am going with keeping "E" for all weeks as well. LSS is a magic :D
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Your_Lunch

Post by Your_Lunch »

I've had a similar experience, with months of hip flexor soreness quickly disappearing after reintroducing a LSS run every OP week (ie Black/Pro). It really is magic!

Ten8

Post by Ten8 »

Same here. I thought I was imagining it but LSS is really straightening out my posture, strengthening my lower back and supporting muscles.

By far the biggest benefits for me have been mood and energy though.

Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Ten8 wrote:I thought I was imagining it but LSS is really straightening out my posture, strengthening my lower back and supporting muscles.
Not your imagination...I'm experiencing the same thing.

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

WallBilly wrote:Taking the occasional week off from MS during the season did not do the trick, but 5 weeks of SE instead of MS did.

Great insight. You get the CNS/rest you need without falling into de-training. As difficult as SE is, it never puts the strain on my body that MS does.