J-Madd's Training Log

J-Madd

Re: J-Madd's Training Log

Post by J-Madd »

I went to a BJJ open mat this morning. I was planning just to have a light roll. Not so much, but it was very fun!

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

600 meter resets x 6

Every time I do these I am overcome with hatred for K. Black and regret that I ever read his books. :twisted:

I felt good to go on 3 min breaks throughout. If I went to 4 min breaks, I probably could've produced a couple more quality reps. Nevertheless I kept to the standard issue this time out, since I've really pushed everything hard for the last several days. Now begins back-off week!

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

I did these last week and said the same thing on my log. These are a beast! (And I used to be a distance runner.) Very beneficial, though.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

mikhou wrote:I did these last week and said the same thing on my log. These are a beast! (And I used to be a distance runner.) Very beneficial, though.
Ha! Imagine what it's like for a recovering meathead like me to do these! :lol:

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Progressive Grip Circuit x 3
Quarterdeck Core x 5

This was just a little something to keep loose during my back-off. I started out with 35lb DB on the grip circuit, but by the third round I was down to 15lb DBs. This was an exercise in humility. It's a lot harder than it sounds. For QC I didn't add a vest and kept to minimums. The point was to get to a touch of movement.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

I went to a lunch hour BJJ class. It was great session. I'm starting to get itchy to get back to the barbells next week.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

J-Madd wrote:I went to a lunch hour BJJ class. It was great session. I'm starting to get itchy to get back to the barbells next week.
May I ask how do you feel your deload week so far? It looks that it comes down to 1 accessory strength session + 1 conditioning session. How do you feel about that? Does it help to recover from OP?
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Barkadion wrote:
J-Madd wrote:I went to a lunch hour BJJ class. It was great session. I'm starting to get itchy to get back to the barbells next week.
May I ask how do you feel your deload week so far? It looks that it comes down to 1 accessory strength session + 1 conditioning session. How do you feel about that? Does it help to recover from OP?
That's more or less how I planned it -- basically a grip/core session and GC/SE session. Since I'm still going to BJJ classes this week I cut out the GC/SE session. I'm probably going to LSS tomorrow or Saturday, because I haven't checked that box for a few weeks.

I like how this sort of back off is going. If I were on the end of a hard charging twelve-week block during which I was pushing the edge the whole way, then I would have a lot less activity. Now, however, I'm implementing a "3 on - 1 off - 3 on - 1 off" plan. I didn't "need" the deload week (it's preemptive), so a little more activity is fine.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

J-Madd wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
That's more or less how I planned it -- basically a grip/core session and GC/SE session. Since I'm still going to BJJ classes this week I cut out the GC/SE session. I'm probably going to LSS tomorrow or Saturday, because I haven't checked that box for a few weeks.

I like how this sort of back off is going. If I were on the end of a hard charging twelve-week block during which I was pushing the edge the whole way, then I would have a lot less activity. Now, however, I'm implementing a "3 on - 1 off - 3 on - 1 off" plan. I didn't "need" the deload week (it's preemptive), so a little more activity is fine.
Thank you! 3 to 1 seems to be good strategy.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Barkadion wrote: Thank you! 3 to 1 seems to be good strategy.
I think K. Black mentioned it first in the "Over 40 Club." Remember too that the origins 531 schedule with 3-1.