J-Madd's Training Log

K.B.
Site Admin

Re: J-Madd's Training Log

Post by K.B. »

J-Madd wrote: I didn't "need" the deload week (it's preemptive)
Smart. Don't wait until you need it.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Indoor Power Intervals on an Airdyne x 7.

Holy crap, that was a lot tougher than I expected it to be. I'm very impressed with the Airdyne after my first attempt to use this tool. I stayed on the bike for my rest interval, but basically coasted. After the first sprint interval I seriously wanted to quit. I did alright with three minutes of rest, and the entire session (with a 5 min warm-up ride) came to 40 min. If you, like me, have injury/overuse issues that force you to moderate how much pounding you do on the hills/track, you will want to keep this workout in your toolbox.

tomcatflyer

Post by tomcatflyer »

This is a great log. Thanks for sharing. Frankly it inspires & excited me to a) explore all TB has to offer; and b) seek similar results down the road. Can I ask how long you've been training?

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

tomcatflyer wrote:This is a great log. Thanks for sharing. Frankly it inspires & excited me to a) explore all TB has to offer; and b) seek similar results down the road. Can I ask how long you've been training?
Thanks Tomcat! I appreciate those words, and I really do hope this log is helpful. I've been trying for about thirty years -- since I was in junior high school and I just turned 43. It's been pretty much a constant in my life. After I finished playing football in college I was a bit of wreck, so I didn't do much physically for a couple years, and after that it was only during my first year of teaching at a university that really fell away from training entirely. Otherwise I've always been involved in athletics or fitness. Maybe more to the point, it has been the last ten years that I've been focused more on across the spectrum fitness.

By the way, I'm enjoying watching you work toward the "Commander's Challenge." That's very worthy goal!

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

OP I/A, Block 1, Wave 2, 2/9
SQ: 300/5x6
WPU: 10/5x6
OHP: 135/5x6
1-H KB Swing: 88/70 - 30

I'm back on track. Everything felt very light and snappy. I got a little volume back in the SQ and OHP from what I missed on Monday. Getting 70 continuous 1-H swings with the "Bulldog" is a major bit of progress toward my goal of 100 continuos swings with that bell. I actually left a few in the tank on that first set! Notice that this is coming off a back-off week.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

BJJ practice. We did three 7 minute (one minute break) full speed matches at the end of practice. That was a great workout.

Here's some thoughts on my strategy for this and the next block. I'd actually be surprised if I couldn't squat 500lb on a reckless bar bet and three weeks to do a quick peaking cycle. Nevertheless, because I had been squatting for a year without a belt, I haven't been close to that sort of weight in a long time. I'm also not really worried about pushing much past that point at this stage of my life. Keeping in the 450-500 neighborhood is good enough for what I need right now. That's why I played super conservatively, and set a 400lb training max. I'm not going to test the SQ, but just force progress by 10lbs each block (assuming things continue to go well), so by next spring I'll hopefully be squatting some decent weights. One problem is that my current set of squat stands are only good up 390lb, so at some point in the not too distant future I might need to suffer the indignity of lifting in public gym or buy some new stands. :lol: I feel no need to be in a hurry.

I'm inclined to play more aggressively with the OHP and WPU, and it's on those lifts that I'm likely to see some solid progress. Thus, I plan to test them both after this three-week wave. I'll probably work up to a true 1RM on the WPU, and take a rep max with my bodyweight (195lb) on the OHP. At that point I will think more about the the BP vs. OHP issue for the long term.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

OP I/A Block 1, Wave 2, 3/9 (75%)
SQ: 300/5x5
WPU: 10/5x6
OHP: 135/5x5

I didn't do any extras, since I'm hoping to get an Apex or Fobbit in before my kids' swim meet in in the morning.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Apex/48KG x 15 (jog down, no rest, on my usual hill)

I sort of felt like crap when I started, but by about three rounds in I knew I was going to have a pretty good day on the hill.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

OP I/A, Block 1, Wave 2, 4/9 (80%)
SQ: 320/5x5
WPU: 20/5x5
OHP: 145/5x5
1-H KB Swing: 88/100 -- Continuous!

I thought it would take me a lot longer to get to 100 continuous swings with the Bulldog. When I got to 80 I felt like I had in the bag. However, those last 20 swings were pretty tough. There have been prettier swings, but I'm not doing this again next week!

StayGrey

Post by StayGrey »

J-Madd wrote:Apex/48KG x 15 (jog down, no rest, on my usual hill)

I sort of felt like crap when I started, but by about three rounds in I knew I was going to have a pretty good day on the hill.
Funny how that happens....

Btw, I just googled "bulldog kettlebell weight", nice goal you have there!