30 minute jog

VenomousCoffee

Re: VenomousCoffee's Training Log

Post by VenomousCoffee »

Friday 4/9
Grey Man Week 3

Saturday 4/10
Off

Switching back to OG Operator on Monday.

VenomousCoffee

Post by VenomousCoffee »

Sunday 4/11
Devil Trinity

Stefano

Post by Stefano »

Hi VenomousCoffee

I hope everything goes well and sorry if I bother you again.

I want to start, finally, a Grey Man Block: I have only one doubt about the S-clusters and I’d like to ask your opinion....

In order to have more frequency of the key lifts, what do you think about these S-Clusters?

On SQ/BP day I’m doing RDL/OHP/PU

On DL/OHP day I’m doing SQ/BP/PU

Do you think it’s a good idea, considering the low percentages of the supplementary lifts? I’d like to keep the frequency at 3xweek for all the lifts in the main cluster (SQ/BP/DL/OHP).

Thanks again for your help and all your precious advices!

VenomousCoffee

Post by VenomousCoffee »

Hey Stefano,

My first thought about your S's is that it really looks like a lot of work. What kind of weight will you be using? Because that looks like it's going to be very taxing on your joints and your CNS as well as your actual muscle. If your goal is to focus on the 'core lifts,' then that's great, but why not use one of the other templates, one of the four day ones? Scheduling reasons?

And also, are you going to be doing any conditioning work on the other days? If so, that would double my concerns about overwork.

I mean, if you are genetically gifted, you sleep a bunch (over 8 hours a night for sure) and your eating is absolutely on point, if it works it could be great. It just looks like you're assuming a best case scenario with everything.

And no worries on being a bother! I like talking about this stuff.

VenomousCoffee

Post by VenomousCoffee »

Monday 4/12
Operator Week 1

Doing SWAT cluster this time with 1 DL day a week.

Stefano

Post by Stefano »

Hi VenomousCoffee

Thanks a lot for your time! I try to give you some more information about my actual training and future plans:

- The 1rm I’ll be using for Grey Man are:
Back Squat 140kg (309lbs)
Bench Press 82kg (181lbs)
Overhead Press 56kg (124lbs)
Rack Pull 150kg (331kg, I can’t Deadlift from the floor because I train in an apartment in a flat...I’ll set the pins as low as I can)

- I have only 3 days/week to lift, so (considering I want to build some muscles) the only 3 days Template I read in MASS was Grey Man...another 3 days option could be Fighter HT but, as KB advice in the book, Grey Man is a more optimal template for my goals.

- Conditioning: I’ll follow the Green protocol described in MASS...so 1 or 2 sessions a week (I really like walking, so this is the option I’ll choose, really glad to find it in the book)...conditioning is not a priority, mass (and strength following) is my main goal.

- the reason for my S-cluster was: why not dedicate it to more work for the main lifts (a sort of Boring but Big from 5/3/1)? Considering I’ll strictly follow the percentages in GM template and the freedom KB describe in the book to compose the supplementary work...considering my low 1rm max, I thought it could be doable and permits me more practice/frequency with the main lifts.

I don’t know if, considering these information, my plan could be doable or you see any holes...

VenomousCoffee

Post by VenomousCoffee »

Tuesday 4/13
GC 6

Wednesday 4/14
Operator Week 1

VenomousCoffee

Post by VenomousCoffee »

Hey Stefano,

Your goals make sense. My experience has been that Grey Man is harder than it might look like. But, keep in mind that I was doing HICs alongside it and also that I'm old (45). Part of my hesitation with your S's is that it looks like a real strain on the shoulders.

With that in mind, I'd suggest the following:

Swapping front squats in for back squats on your S. Less total weight, plus I personally find I get better leg development from fronts.

Finding a way to avoid having both OHP and BP in your S's. At the very least, I'd use close grip bench rather than regular. Because in my opinion, if you run that for very long you are asking for shoulder problems.

Plus, you really really need to be on point with your food and sleep.

So, those are my thoughts. Be sure to listen to your body! And if you feel overdone, think about cutting your S's from 3 a day to 2.

Good luck! Let me know how it goes.