Different carries

MxS/SE/HIC/E
ectional

Different carries

Post by ectional »

How many of you have implemented different carries into your workouts? Farmers walks, overhead carries, waiter hold carries and so on. Where do they make the most sense? As finishers or combine them and also use them as a conditioning workouts?

Maxrip13

Re: Different carries

Post by Maxrip13 »

I like to use them as core work and finishers at the end of weigh training sessions.

My favourite core/finishers are the following:

1. One Arm Kettlebell Overhead carry for time/distance Alt L,R
2. Kettlebell rack carry (clean/rack position) for time distance
3. Kettlebell farmers walk for time/distance
Rest or continuous
x 3-5 rounds

I like time as an option as it stops me from rushing the carries to make the session easier as I add rounds. It's also a good gym option and will mess with your mind at 2 +Mins like a plank.
The 1 arm over head carry is brilliant and will really help with shoulder stabilisation or at least it does for me.
The kettlebell rack carry starts of easy but will become more difficult as you get into the later rounds. It will restrict your breathing with heavy kettle bells later. (Search Mil athlete, Atomic athlete for videos if you arent sure what I mean)
The farmers walk needs no explanation.

I also like to do a similar thing with my sandbag (42kg/92lb)

Sandbag Overhead carry for time/distance
Sandbag Shoulder carry for time/distance Alt L,R
Sandbag Bearhug carry for time/distance
Rest or continuous
x 3-5 rounds

With the Sandbag if you really want a hard session you could set a timer for a set time. Each time the timer beeps, say every 30 secs, you swap carry versions through the above options and never put the sandbag down. The shoulder carry is in the middle and an easier variation sandwiched between the other options.This is similar to some selection exercises were you are required to carry items and never put them down. Obviously this particular option is the sort of finisher you use sparingly.

godjira1

Post by godjira1 »

KB carries: Overhead, Rack and Suitcase. Sandbell/Sandbag carry: Shoulder, Bearhug.

I use them primarily as finishers. It's especially great if you are training with a partner, then you just take turns. I prefer to do them for distance (we have a handy 25m sprint area in the gym so 2 back/forths = 100m).

I have also done carries to failure before but that is a big mind game then. While I am sure they have a conditioning effect, it is a tough experience to program.
It ain't what you don’t know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain’t so.

Adski

Post by Adski »

It depends. If you have a goal for a loaded carry it can pay to use it as a separate mini workout or as a finisher.

If it’s the primary goal you have in mind it will push to do it when you are more fresh, this could mean that it could be used as your first exercise in a session.

I’d maintenance is the goal the first two I mentioned it having it in a conditioning session will work with up to a moderate load.

Personally I tend to mix them in as a finisher, this is usually dependent on work/life affecting time, I do prefer to do farmers carries/sandbag carries as finishers, most other grip work I prefer as a mini workout separate to the primary. This could be before or after depending on what I have on for the main session for the day.