Max day

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Tyr0331

Max day

Post by Tyr0331 »

I am starting operator plan on using a cluster of back squat/bench/weighted pull up with deads on day 3. So I need to max out on all these.. Would you guys recomm be maxing out all of them same day or split them up two and two?

BlackPyjamas

Re: Max day

Post by BlackPyjamas »

Tyr0331 wrote:I am starting operator plan on using a cluster of back squat/bench/weighted pull up with deads on day 3. So I need to max out on all these.. Would you guys recomm be maxing out all of them same day or split them up two and two?

Either or. Some people like splitting it up over two days, others like doing it all at once. If you test over more than one day, well rested etc then you're testing under ideal circumstances. Most of the time we don't train under ideal circumstances (long shift, hard cardio day before, fatigue etc) so testing all on the same day acts as a bit of auto-regulation.

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

If this is your first max test, then I would do it all on one day. But then again, I would also use a training max and then use forced progression. So even if you don't hit your absolute max on whatever exercise that you test last, it doesn't matter because your goal (with a training max and forced progression) is to start conservatively and progress over time.

Tyr0331

Post by Tyr0331 »

Ended up hitting all of them in one session. I've used forced progression in programs before just didn't know it had an actual term. I plan on taking my percentages of my actual maxes for the first block to see how it goes. Then I will determine after 6 weeks how/where I need to apply the forced progression if any, and also decide if I want to use the training max for my percentages.