Working sets

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Tyr0331

Working sets

Post by Tyr0331 »

How do you guys decide on how many working sets to go with for any given strength session. For example on fighter first week is 3-5 sets for 5 reps per lift at 75%. Today I hit back squats followed by bench followed by weighted pull ups. I started off by hitting some light weight reps of whatever lift I was on for about 10 reps. Then went into a 55%,65% then for the 75% working sets I did 4 sets which felt about right to where I was getting smoked. Doing that same protocol for all three lifts, my grip felt burned out on the weighted pull ups. So my main questions are do you go off feel? Do your sets change on a daily basis?

Tyr0331

Re: Working sets

Post by Tyr0331 »

Also, on a side note, I miscalculated my max percentages on my back squat and was doing 30 extra pounds on the working sets and could be why I felt smoked after 4 sets, didn't notice until all sets were completed. Hope it doesn't affect things too much, seeing as this is my base building block.

Would it be worth it to start the block over to make sure everything is on par?

Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

Depends on a few things, what I did the day before-- and what I have planned for the day after.

If I know I've got Apex Hills the next day I stick to the lower end for squats and WPUs, but usually leave bench at 4-5. Nothing scientific, mostly I attempt to stay fresh by feel.

I found I really had to break away from the "getting smoked" mindset. Operator template is very efficient even if you lift light and low rep, you're hitting each lift for at least 9 sets a week....compare that to more traditional programs that have you do only 3-6 sets/week per lift. Even if you screw up monumentally and go super-light with the minimums your strength will go up just fro the sheer frequency.

I guess I would sum it up as greasing the groove when it comes to Operator. Quit while you're still fresh, don't go anywhere near "smoked" territory.

Blackmetalbunny

Post by Blackmetalbunny »

Tyr0331 wrote:Also, on a side note, I miscalculated my max percentages on my back squat and was doing 30 extra pounds on the working sets and could be why I felt smoked after 4 sets, didn't notice until all sets were completed. Hope it doesn't affect things too much, seeing as this is my base building block.

Would it be worth it to start the block over to make sure everything is on par?
The intensity might be a good reason. I've worked up to 5X5 on all my lifts. On the 70% and 75% weeks, I go up to 6 X 5, and while I feel drained after the sets, I don't feel wrecked after resting for a while. There are a few things I do:

1. I always monitor how I feel on the 70% and 75% week, it should be feel substantial without wrecking you.

2. Feeling smoked by set 3? Maybe you need to rest more between sets?

3. When you tested your maxes, did you hype yourself up, use pre-workout, use ammonia, blast fast and racing music? If you increased your max numbers by way of some mental or physiological stimulants, that max weight might be too heavy for you to manage in the blocks.

Point 3 is a personal point i picked up from Solving the Paleo Equation by Garrett Smith and Matt Stone. The book discourages the habit of amping or pumping yourself up before a lift. In fact, they advocate "effortless lifting" - your lifts shouldn't require you to mentally stimulate yourself, and to end your session if you're having to grit your teeth, grind your reps, use smelling salts, blast heavy metal etc. There might be lots of disagreements to this, but it has worked well for me so far.

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

Tyr0331 wrote:How do you guys decide on how many working sets to go with for any given strength session. For example on fighter first week is 3-5 sets for 5 reps per lift at 75%. Today I hit back squats followed by bench followed by weighted pull ups. I started off by hitting some light weight reps of whatever lift I was on for about 10 reps. Then went into a 55%,65% then for the 75% working sets I did 4 sets which felt about right to where I was getting smoked. Doing that same protocol for all three lifts, my grip felt burned out on the weighted pull ups. So my main questions are do you go off feel? Do your sets change on a daily basis?
You also might consider doing a set of Squats then rest your 2-5min and then do a set of WPU rest 2-5min and then back to the squats.

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

Balaclava wrote: Quit while you're still fresh, don't go anywhere near "smoked" territory.
This. Re-read the intro sections of the book, this is perfect. If you aren't good at judging, then if you feel some reps getting slower then that should probably be your last set.

We all screw up workouts. There is no reason to restart a program for a screwed up workout. Don't worry about it.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Blackmetalbunny wrote: 3. When you tested your maxes, did you hype yourself up, use pre-workout, use ammonia, blast fast and racing music? If you increased your max numbers by way of some mental or physiological stimulants, that max weight might be too heavy for you to manage in the blocks.

Point 3 is a personal point i picked up from Solving the Paleo Equation by Garrett Smith and Matt Stone. The book discourages the habit of amping or pumping yourself up before a lift. In fact, they advocate "effortless lifting" - your lifts shouldn't require you to mentally stimulate yourself, and to end your session if you're having to grit your teeth, grind your reps, use smelling salts, blast heavy metal etc. There might be lots of disagreements to this, but it has worked well for me so far.
This point has become very big for me the last few years. At the very least, if I stoke myself up when I test, I have to adjust my training max to account for the fact that I'm not going to be able to get that "psyched" over every Operator workout.

By the way, I agree with what the rest of the gang has to say to the original poster -- don't junk your entire block over one botched workout, and when doing TB (especially Operator), you shouldn't be pushing to be the point of being "smoked." Try to leave the gym wanting more. The system works by attrition over time, not short term intensity.

Tyr0331

Post by Tyr0331 »

Cool thanks for the input everyone. It's going to be hard for me to break that mentality of leaving the gym wanting more. Since I started hitting the gym consistently about eight years ago matter what I'm training for I always destroy myself unless it's active recovery. More for my mental health than anything. Going to adjust my numbers for tomorrow and hit it again. Had two good E sessions in between.

Saracen

Post by Saracen »

Tyr0331 wrote:Cool thanks for the input everyone. It's going to be hard for me to break that mentality of leaving the gym wanting more. Since I started hitting the gym consistently about eight years ago matter what I'm training for I always destroy myself unless it's active recovery. More for my mental health than anything. Going to adjust my numbers for tomorrow and hit it again. Had two good E sessions in between.
I understand the self-destruction for mental health completely and believe it has it's place and purpose. You can still do this on your HIC days. Just try not to let the more intense sessions interfere with your max-strength days.

Blackmetalbunny

Post by Blackmetalbunny »

Tyr0331 wrote:Since I started hitting the gym consistently about eight years ago matter what I'm training for I always destroy myself unless it's active recovery.
If you're having difficulty in walking away from the gym feeling fresh, and feel that some of your weights aren't particularly challenging (<i> particularly on your volume week</i>), have you considered or tried paused reps, elevator reps, or even considered slowing your eccentric, pausing at the bottom and then slow concentrics? Paused sets are a good way of making you want to not lift any more for that session.

I know that when it comes to purely max strength, it's really all about how much you can lift, but there are other benefits to areas such as your tendon strength and muscle control that can be had from these rep schemes which increase your TUT. These rep schemes won't make you lift heavier weights, but it can also aid in the development of strength endurance at the same time - and you'll see benefit even if you only implement it on your last set - and they will strain you.