DUP

MxS/SE/HIC/E
xfitxm

DUP

Post by xfitxm »

As anyone ever tried DUP?
http://www.theptdc.com/2014/06/build-be ... -programs/

As seen in the article I can see for operator that instead of doing a week at 70, a week at 80 and a week at 90 someone would do 1 day at 70 one day at 80 and one day at 90 and repeat. It would be less difficult for the 3rd week.

I'm really not sure I want to try it, I just wanted to think out loud.

grouchyjarhead

Re: DUP

Post by grouchyjarhead »

DUP was actually found to be inferior to block periodization for maximal strength. Mass gains were pretty similar though. I'll look for the study.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

xfitxm wrote:As anyone ever tried DUP?

As seen in the article I can see for operator that instead of doing a week at 70, a week at 80 and a week at 90 someone would do 1 day at 70 one day at 80 and one day at 90 and repeat. It would be less difficult for the 3rd week.

It's basically the old heavy/light/ Medium Bill Starr 5x5.
Go hard (90% +) go light to recover (60-70%) and finish off with the meat and potatoes sets (80-85%).Repeat until stagnation.

The idea is to progress to those harder weeks and make the harder week feel easier over time and then bump up the weight.
With the ramp up through the week, that 90% will always feel hard for you.

TAc barbell is slower but the strength seems to hang around more by really owning those weights over the 3 week period.

BlackPyjamas

Post by BlackPyjamas »

Maxrip13 wrote:
xfitxm wrote:As anyone ever tried DUP?

It's basically the old heavy/light/ Medium Bill Starr 5x5.
Go hard (90% +) go light to recover (60-70%) and finish off with the meat and potatoes sets (80-85%).Repeat until stagnation.

The idea is to progress to those harder weeks and make the harder week feel easier over time and then bump up the weight.

TAc barbell is slower but the strength seems to hang around more by really owning those weights over the 3 week period.
My experience exactly. I'd plateau very fast on the quicker progressions. With Tac Barbell style progression I still don't feel like I'm anywhere near a hard stall. "Owning the weight" sums it up perfectly. It's like you create a new baseline level of strength every cycle by using the same weight 3x week.

Saracen

Post by Saracen »

Maxrip13 wrote:
Now that you mention it, this is bang-on. Doing DUP in the past, my 90% workouts involved a lot of psyching up and a high probability that I wouldn't be able to complete my reps.... With TB it doesn't enter my mind that I might fail at 90%.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Saracen wrote:
Maxrip13 wrote:
Now that you mention it, this is bang-on. Doing DUP in the past, my 90% workouts involved a lot of psyching up and a high probability that I wouldn't be able to complete my reps.... With TB it doesn't enter my mind that I might fail at 90%.
I find the same. I get better results on other programs that I have followed short term strength and conditioning wise, but I am constantly exhausted and beat up. I get about 6 weeks in and little niggles become big ones. Tac barbell allows me to slowly build my strength and do some hard conditioning on the side.

I can go for a surf or without it being the end of the world for me training wise.