Rowing workouts by Kenneth Jay as HIC and E

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Regnskur

Rowing workouts by Kenneth Jay as HIC and E

Post by Regnskur »

Hi, I was wondering what peoples thoughts are on the use these programs as forms of HIC. Kenneth Jay is the writer of the book "The Cardio Code", which I believe some people on here might have read. Personally I found the book interesting, but the programming section felt quite lacking in comparison to the rest of the book, and in the end I still feel quite unsure on how to actually use the information in the book in a practical way.

Kenneth has some free workouts available on his website though. Currently I am using the Indoor Power Resets on a rower as the main HIC in my Operator+Black block. I'm considering if it might be a good idea to switch to using some of these programs instead, as I like the greater attention on regular testing my 2000m row/V02 max as a mean to gauge progress, which feels somewhat similar to testing my 1RM for the strength portion of my programming.

Any thought on this? Would these workouts be an effective way of increasing general cardiovascular performance to a high level?

http://www.cardiocode.dk/getting_started/downloads/

Maxrip13

Re: Rowing workouts by Kenneth Jay as HIC and E

Post by Maxrip13 »

Regnskur wrote:Hi, I was wondering what peoples thoughts are on the use these programs as forms of HIC. Kenneth Jay is the writer of the book "The Cardio Code", which I believe some people on here might have read. Personally I found the book interesting, but the programming section felt quite lacking in comparison to the rest of the book, and in the end I still feel quite unsure on how to actually use the information in the book in a practical way.

Kenneth has some free workouts available on his website though. Currently I am using the Indoor Power Resets on a rower as the main HIC in my Operator+Black block. I'm considering if it might be a good idea to switch to using some of these programs instead, as I like the greater attention on regular testing my 2000m row/V02 max as a mean to gauge progress, which feels somewhat similar to testing my 1RM for the strength portion of my programming.

Any thought on this? Would these workouts be an effective way of increasing general cardiovascular performance to a high level?

http://www.cardiocode.dk/getting_started/downloads/

Can I ask why you have chosen or want to use rowing as your testing? Are you a rower or do you have injuries that limit running or other forms of HIC ?

I have seen it in the past were a lot of people turn the rower into there main form of conditioning and while it great for someone who just wants to look good or actually rows, I think you need to vary it a bit more.

I have no experience with Cardio code, but from what I can see it sounds very similar to Viking Warrior conditioning a book of his I own and a program I have followed in the past. He used snatches in that and the goal was V02 max improvement again.

Long story short , my personal opinion is that if you are not a rower or have a medical condition that stops you running, that you are better off using rowing as a back up session when weather gets in the way. I believe this applies to rowing as a benchmark of training effectiveness also.

I will say this though, those 2 min power intervals of rowing are a brilliant session to throw in regularly and will improve conditioning along with some running type training. I also love to do hard repeated 500s for between 5-10 rounds with a min rest. I believe that is a workout that comes on all concept 2 rowers. These are a killer if you actually go 95% and push hard.

I don't really like the 2000m row as a V02 Max test, as it becomes all about getting better at rowing and not so much about a real improvement.
If you do more rowing conditioning work, it will appear that your Vo2 max is improving. This is probably just due to rowing more.
The best way to use that as a test would be to never row and only use it to gauge that progression from an indirect effect of your other training.

Hopefully that makes sense.