HIC Deloads

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Green2Blue

HIC Deloads

Post by Green2Blue »

The book recommends using deloaded HIC's every three weeks.

The trouble I have is it takes considerable effort to make most of my HIC's happen. Meaning, I have to drive 15-20 mins to the track, my hill, whathaveyou; then warmup, do pre-mobility, cool down, etc; then drive home. This is a fair amount of effort for half the work.

I could just do the HIC's I can do at home, like GC2, BYF, or Fobbit. But that's a similar problem where my work is only 5-10 minutes so it's easy for me to just skip it because what's the point?

I've been thinking of just doing a casual 5k for these, which is much less of an issue as I can just walk out my door and do it. It also would help grease the groove with running, and help give my feet and ankles some mileage (those are always what hold me back on distance runs). Any opinions on doing my conditioning deloads like this?

Do I need to get my heart rate ramped up? I guess I could always do a Fartlek-ish tempo run for my run at tempo pace for 2 mins then casual pace for 2 mins?

Just brainstorming here, and thought I'd ask opinions.

Barkadion

Re: HIC Deloads

Post by Barkadion »

I think the beauty if easy HIC that you can get creative with it. Any combination of burpees, jumping jacks, light push presses, shadow boxing, and lighter KB drills will do the trick. The fact that it is "easier" effort makes it great recovery tool from my experience. That is why I like that. Personally, I feel worse if I skip it completely.

My best experience (so far) with 3/6/9 weeks is something like:
M - OP
T - easy HIC
W - OP
Th - off
F - OP
S - FunRun/Fobbit mix under 30min.

Just IMHO ;)
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

close_fox

Post by close_fox »

Green2Blue wrote:The book recommends using deloaded HIC's every three weeks.

The trouble I have is it takes considerable effort to make most of my HIC's happen. Meaning, I have to drive 15-20 mins to the track, my hill, whathaveyou; then warmup, do pre-mobility, cool down, etc; then drive home. This is a fair amount of effort for half the work.

I could just do the HIC's I can do at home, like GC2, BYF, or Fobbit. But that's a similar problem where my work is only 5-10 minutes so it's easy for me to just skip it because what's the point?

I've been thinking of just doing a casual 5k for these, which is much less of an issue as I can just walk out my door and do it. It also would help grease the groove with running, and help give my feet and ankles some mileage (those are always what hold me back on distance runs). Any opinions on doing my conditioning deloads like this?

Do I need to get my heart rate ramped up? I guess I could always do a Fartlek-ish tempo run for my run at tempo pace for 2 mins then casual pace for 2 mins?

Just brainstorming here, and thought I'd ask opinions.

I have done these same time cost calculations at various times. Especially during my first few BB SE sessions, when the sessions barely constituted exercise. I went on blind faith then, and it has paid off. Here's how I handle the decease in perceived effort when my HICs are deloaded.

Trust the program. Don't scrub the deload HIC sessions. There's a reason it's "deload" and not "off." You can't push HIC hard every week, just like you can't do 95% weights every week. At least not indefinitely.

Keep the deload relevant. As far as doing different HICs during a deload week...I haven't tried it. I suppose it's far better than nothing. I can tell you, there are gains to be had from keeping the same HIC rotation while ratcheting the intensity up (as able) and down (when required physically and during deload weeks). For example, the 600m resets and "Standard Issue Stairs" I have been doing. I almost always see an improvement the week after a deload week. Either increased speed, faster recovery between reps, or both. Not to mention, the parameters are set...you don't need to guess what constitutes an effective deload. If you are normally working at 6x600m Resets with 5min rest, do 3 or 4 reps during a deload week. Maybe a little slower pace (or not). With or without extra rest.

Embrace the weight. As far as I can tell, the deload HIC weeks coincide with the heaviest lifting weeks (90-95%), regardless what strength template you are following. I just make that mental shift; the weight has priority during deload HIC week.

Fill the time. Finally, I don't necessarily spend any less time in the gym when I do a deload HIC. I use the time to increase mobility, prehab, and stretching.
"You oughta know not to stand by the window. Somebody see you up there." Talking Heads. "Life During Wartime." Fear of Music, Sire, 1979.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

Thanks for your input guys.

Decado

Post by Decado »

close_fox wrote: Trust the program. Don't scrub the deload HIC sessions. There's a reason it's "deload" and not "off." You can't push HIC hard every week, just like you can't do 95% weights every week. At least not indefinitely.

Keep the deload relevant. As far as doing different HICs during a deload week...I haven't tried it. I suppose it's far better than nothing. I can tell you, there are gains to be had from keeping the same HIC rotation while ratcheting the intensity up (as able) and down (when required physically and during deload weeks). For example, the 600m resets and "Standard Issue Stairs" I have been doing. I almost always see an improvement the week after a deload week. Either increased speed, faster recovery between reps, or both. Not to mention, the parameters are set...you don't need to guess what constitutes an effective deload. If you are normally working at 6x600m Resets with 5min rest, do 3 or 4 reps during a deload week. Maybe a little slower pace (or not). With or without extra rest.

Embrace the weight. As far as I can tell, the deload HIC weeks coincide with the heaviest lifting weeks (90-95%), regardless what strength template you are following. I just make that mental shift; the weight has priority during deload HIC week.

Fill the time. Finally, I don't necessarily spend any less time in the gym when I do a deload HIC. I use the time to increase mobility, prehab, and stretching.
This really nails it thanks. Sticky-worthy guidelines imo.

What I've been doing is if I know I'll have a stable schedule in the near future I'll cut rounds and intensity in half. If it's in the middle of a particularly hard training block I'll take an extra day or two off completely. If I know my training's going to be interrupted (upcoming vacation or family commitments) I'll ignore Easy Week and treat it like any other training week to compensate.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

So I figured it out. On days I work it's pretty easy to do hills, because my hill is right next to work. I'll just halve the number of reps. I did this yesterday. On days I don't work I'll just do the Fartlek Tempo, 2 mins on, 2 mins off for 20 mins; instead of the usual full 20 mins on.

TangoZero

Post by TangoZero »

Decado wrote:
close_fox wrote: Trust the program. Don't scrub the deload HIC sessions. There's a reason it's "deload" and not "off." You can't push HIC hard every week, just like you can't do 95% weights every week. At least not indefinitely.

This really nails it thanks. Sticky-worthy guidelines imo.

What I've been doing is if I know I'll have a stable schedule in the near future I'll cut rounds and intensity in half. If it's in the middle of a particularly hard training block I'll take an extra day or two off completely. If I know my training's going to be interrupted (upcoming vacation or family commitments) I'll ignore Easy Week and treat it like any other training week to compensate.

x 2, great summary @Close_Fox

I keep it real easy... Like a 10-15 minute LSS run, or slow 10-15 minute Fobbit. I don't do more than 2 conditioning sessions during Easy Week, and I don't always do the standard HICs in my rotation either. Like Close_Fox has mentioned I focus more on my lifting and try to do more sets than I normally would, especially deadlifts. With no hard conditioning to worry about I find I can really push the volume. From there it makes for a smooth transition to week 1 or 4 @ 75%rm.