Fighter+black+mma

MxS/SE/HIC/E
ectional

Fighter+black+mma

Post by ectional »

So I was looking at the fighter +black continuation protocol and started thinking on what days would the actual martial arts go on. Since they're high intensity in nature it would make sense to place them on HIC days. Or HIC and SE when doing martial arts thrice a week. Would get the lifting done and would leave one day for general endurance. Or is fighter + black just meant to be without any martial arts training?

DocOctagon

Re: Fighter+black+mma

Post by DocOctagon »

The conditioning protocols are minimums. MMA counts as HIC or E. So as long as you hit 3 conditioning sessions per week (between MMA & HIC), you can call it a day. Or you can add more HICs throughout the week if you have the time, energy, or need.

ectional

Post by ectional »

Thanks for the reply, that's along the lines I was thinking. Just wanted some confirmation from the more experienced ones.

spemma

Post by spemma »

i typically do BJJ 2-3/week, for many years now. my gas tank was subpar, badly in need of E. my gas tank was fine for BJJ, but horrible for running/conditioning.

i don't personally think that MMA or BJJ hits E well. i would drop a HIC or two in place of MMA, but i would make sure to get in those E sessions.

my $0.02

WallBilly

Post by WallBilly »

spemma wrote:i typically do BJJ 2-3/week, for many years now. my gas tank was subpar, badly in need of E. my gas tank was fine for BJJ, but horrible for running/conditioning.

i don't personally think that MMA or BJJ hits E well. i would drop a HIC or two in place of MMA, but i would make sure to get in those E sessions.

my $0.02
+1

But for me, substitute ice hockey goaltending for MMA/BJJ. Starting running after the hockey season (with no "intentional" E workouts) feels like going back to Square 1 . . . . painful.

BlackPyjamas

Post by BlackPyjamas »

WallBilly wrote:
spemma wrote:i typically do BJJ 2-3/week, for many years now. my gas tank was subpar, badly in need of E. my gas tank was fine for BJJ, but horrible for running/conditioning.

my $0.02
+1

But for me, substitute ice hockey goaltending for MMA/BJJ. Starting running after the hockey season (with no "intentional" E workouts) feels like going back to Square 1 . . . . painful.
Where MMA is concerned I really think it depends on how the class is run. Generally speaking If it's a combat sport with a striking/ boxing/Muay Thai component then it's probably going to easily be a HIC/E.

Personally though, if I wanted to level up my cardio for MMA I'd do it one of two ways.

1. Take a month off classes and run Base Building using nothing but roadwork, triples (with MMA drills), pads. Lots of MMA drills can be fit into E or LSS. Wear a HR monitor and shadow box for 30 mins + for example.

2. Go Thai style and do roadwork every morning, MMA classes at a separate time of day. Obviously this one only works if your schedule and work-life balance permits.

This is if cardio's an issue and you don't get enough during class of course.

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

BlackPyjamas wrote:
WallBilly wrote:

my $0.02
+1

Where MMA is concerned I really think it depends on how the class is run. Generally speaking If it's a combat sport with a striking/ boxing/Muay Thai component then it's probably going to easily be a HIC/E.

Personally though, if I wanted to level up my cardio for MMA I'd do it one of two ways.

1. Take a month off classes and run Base Building using nothing but roadwork, triples (with MMA drills), pads. Lots of MMA drills can be fit into E or LSS. Wear a HR monitor and shadow box for 30 mins + for example.

2. Go Thai style and do roadwork every morning, MMA classes at a separate time of day. Obviously this one only works if your schedule and work-life balance permits.

This is if cardio's an issue and you don't get enough during class of course.
Good points. Also the law of specificity applies. Tailor your conditioning sessions to match your primary activity.