Extending BB by a month?

MxS/SE/HIC/E
B71

Extending BB by a month?

Post by B71 »

I am finishing my current strength-first Base Building (BBSF) block at the end of August. From there, I plan to start an OP + Black continuation block. However, in September, I'm going on a month-long military course (classroom/academic stuff) away from home and gym access is not guaranteed. I need an alternate plan in case I have no gym in September.

If I have no gym, I plan to extend the last three weeks of my BBSF block thru September (i.e. lots of HIC, SE (Alpha or Tango), and E sessions). Once I get home in October, I can start my continuation block.

+ Male, 46 y.o., 5'10.5", 205-ish lbs
+ Est 1RM: Bench 250 / Squat 335 / Deadlift 350
+ No pressing operational fitness needs: I drive a desk.
+ I want to improve (1) my work capacity and (2) my strength relative to BW. (I recognize I may need to put strength work on hold for September.)

Is extending BBSF by a month too aggressive? Do I risk burning out?

Aelian

Re: Extending BB by a month?

Post by Aelian »

B71 wrote:I am finishing my current strength-first Base Building (BBSF) block at the end of August. From there, I plan to start an OP + Black continuation block. However, in September, I'm going on a month-long military course (classroom/academic stuff) away from home and gym access is not guaranteed. I need an alternate plan in case I have no gym in September.

If I have no gym, I plan to extend the last three weeks of my BBSF block thru September (i.e. lots of HIC, SE (Alpha or Tango), and E sessions). Once I get home in October, I can start my continuation block.

+ Male, 46 y.o., 5'10.5", 205-ish lbs
+ Est 1RM: Bench 250 / Squat 335 / Deadlift 350
+ No pressing operational fitness needs: I drive a desk.
+ I want to improve (1) my work capacity and (2) my strength relative to BW. (I recognize I may need to put strength work on hold for September.)

Is extending BBSF by a month too aggressive? Do I risk burning out?
If I'm reading this right you did a Strength-First bb block, which you'll be finishing up by September. So you did your max-strength work already and now you should be doing or close to doing the SE portion. And you're asking if come September you can extend base-building for a month with SE and E (no max-strength because of unavailable equipment).

The answer is yes, not a problem at all. Just remember to follow the guidelines; heartrate restrictions, E 3-5 x week etc.
You could also use the time to play around with an SE Only/Green protocol for a month.

B71

Post by B71 »

Aelian wrote:If I'm reading this right you did a Strength-First bb block, which you'll be finishing up by September. So you did your max-strength work already and now you should be doing or close to doing the SE portion.
Yes.
And you're asking if come September you can extend base-building for a month with SE and E (no max-strength because of unavailable equipment).
Yes, but... I was considering continuing those last 3 weeks of BBSF (2 HIC + 2 SE + 1 E/week) for all of September, not restarting a standard BB (with 3*E + 2*SE/week). I'm wondering if that would be too intense for 7 straight weeks.

Aelian

Post by Aelian »

B71 wrote:
Aelian wrote:If I'm reading this right you did a Strength-First bb block, which you'll be finishing up by September. So you did your max-strength work already and now you should be doing or close to doing the SE portion.
Yes.
And you're asking if come September you can extend base-building for a month with SE and E (no max-strength because of unavailable equipment).
Yes, but... I was considering continuing those last 3 weeks of BBSF (2 HIC + 2 SE + 1 E/week) for all of September, not restarting a standard BB (with 3*E + 2*SE/week). I'm wondering if that would be too intense for 7 straight weeks.
So SE + Black? Yeah no issues there, that's one of the protocols. Just choose your HICs wisely, stay away from the bodyweight intensive HICs like the GCs.

TangoZero

Post by TangoZero »

Aelian wrote:
B71 wrote:
Yes.
So SE + Black? Yeah no issues there, that's one of the protocols. Just choose your HICs wisely, stay away from the bodyweight intensive HICs like the GCs.

x2. Additionally I'd recommend sticking with Alpha for your SE. Bravo along with high intensity training is a killer and hard to sustain long term.