Fighter/Bangkok Question

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Ten8

Fighter/Bangkok Question

Post by Ten8 »

Hey guys, quick question about SE day for Bangkok template...

Is there an ideal time during the week to do the SE day? Near the end, beginning, middle? If needs be can I do it the SE as a finisher (occasionally) after a Fighter weights session?

Thanks!

K.B.
Site Admin

Re: Fighter/Bangkok Question

Post by K.B. »

Ten8 wrote:Hey guys, quick question about SE day for Bangkok template...

Is there an ideal time during the week to do the SE day? Near the end, beginning, middle? If needs be can I do it the SE as a finisher (occasionally) after a Fighter weights session?

Thanks!
Any day is fine as long as it's not the day directly before a maximal-strength session. Another option is to divide your SE cluster in half and perform one half after each Fighter session. Take that even further if you want to prioritize SE by creating a larger SE cluster along with a more minimalist Fighter cluster.

Example:

Fighter Cluster - SQ/BP
SE Cluster - KB Swings/Push-ups/Goblet Squats/Pull-Ups/Dips/Sit-ups

Fighter#1
SQ/BP x 3 sets
+
KB Swings/Push-Ups/Goblet Squats

Fighter#2
SQ/BP x 3 sets
+
Pull-ups/Dips/Sit-ups

Want to get even more minimalist with the max-strength? Go with a Fighter cluster of just a press and DL:

Fighter Cluster - BP/DL.

Using the DL gives you the ability to customize. You can DL once a week - that makes one of your Fighter sessions Bench/press only. Frees up a lot of time and energy for SE. You can DL twice a week for one work set only. Or you can DL both Fighter sessions for multiple sets. Finally you can do all of the above from week to week. Make sure to adjust your SE cluster accordingly to take into account the lack of squats. Goblet, Front Squats, Pistols, Weighted pistols, air squats or regular barbell squats can all be used in SE fashion.

Ten8

Post by Ten8 »

K.B. wrote:

Thanks!
Any day is fine as long as it's not the day directly before a maximal-strength session. Another option is to divide your SE cluster in half and perform one half after each Fighter session. Take that even further if you want to prioritize SE by creating a larger SE cluster along with a more minimalist Fighter cluster.

Example:

Fighter Cluster - SQ/BP

Fighter#1
SQ/BP x 3 sets
+

Fighter#2
SQ/BP x 3 sets
+
Pull-ups/Dips/Sit-ups

Want to get even more minimalist with the max-strength? Go with a Fighter cluster of just a press and DL:

Fighter Cluster - BP/DL.

Using the DL gives you the ability to customize. You can DL once a week - that makes one of your Fighter sessions Bench/press only. Frees up a lot of time and energy for SE. You can DL twice a week for one work set only. Or you can DL both Fighter sessions for multiple sets. Finally you can do all of the above from week to week. Make sure to adjust your SE cluster accordingly to take into account the lack of squats. Goblet, Front Squats, Pistols, Weighted pistols, air squats or regular barbell squats can all be used in SE fashion.

This is awesome, thanks! Taking a temporary break from Op to prep for annuals...and this really helps.

K.B.
Site Admin

Post by K.B. »

Ten8 wrote:
K.B. wrote:

Thanks!

Example:

Fighter Cluster - SQ/BP

Fighter#1
SQ/BP x 3 sets
+

Fighter#2
SQ/BP x 3 sets
+
Pull-ups/Dips/Sit-ups

Fighter Cluster - BP/DL.

This is awesome, thanks! Taking a temporary break from Op to prep for annuals...and this really helps.
If you're just training a handful of SE exercises for PFT or qualification (3-4 tops) - then another option is to repeat that cluster:

SE Cluster - Push-ups/Pull-ups/Sit-ups
Fighter Cluster - Bench Press/Squat

Fighter Session#1
BP/SQ
+
push-ups/pull-ups/sit-ups

Fighter Session#2
BP/SQ
+

SE Day #1
Push-ups
Pull-ups
sit-ups
.....maybe a couple more exercises

With this set-up you get three SE sessions a week with the exercises you'll be tested on.
Max-strength work is always done first. I'm using BP/SQ as an example, but any approved cluster would work like OHP/DL, or BP/FSQ etc.

This method works best when you keep the max-strength work minimal. Work capacity varies, but that means no more than 2 exercises for most people.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

K.B. wrote:
Ten8 wrote:
K.B. wrote:

Example:

Fighter Cluster - SQ/BP

Fighter#1
SQ/BP x 3 sets
+

Fighter#2
SQ/BP x 3 sets
+
Pull-ups/Dips/Sit-ups

Fighter Cluster - BP/DL.

If you're just training a handful of SE exercises for PFT or qualification (3-4 tops) - then another option is to repeat that cluster:

Fighter Session#1
BP/SQ
+

Fighter Session#2
BP/SQ
+

SE Day #1
Push-ups
Pull-ups
sit-ups

With this set-up you get three SE sessions a week with the exercises you'll be tested on.
Max-strength work is always done first. I'm using BP/SQ as an example, but any approved cluster would work like OHP/DL, or BP/FSQ etc.

This method works best when you keep the max-strength work minimal. Work capacity varies, but that means no more than 2 exercises for most people.
I might misread it but... It looks like a great way of programming compounds with accessories... Awesome.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

Barkadion wrote:
K.B. wrote:
Ten8 wrote:

Fighter Session#1
BP/SQ
+

Fighter Session#2
BP/SQ
+

SE Day #1
Push-ups
Pull-ups
sit-ups

I might misread it but... It looks like a great way of programming compounds with accessories... Awesome.
To me this looks like it's for when SE is prioritized. There's just enough MS to maintain and support SE growth. Bear in mind SE will affect future MS sessions and interfere with "freshness". If MS is higher priority>SE, then I wouldn't take this approach.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

DocOctagon wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
K.B. wrote:

Fighter Session#1
BP/SQ
+

Fighter Session#2
BP/SQ
+

SE Day #1
Push-ups
Pull-ups
sit-ups

To me this looks like it's for when SE is prioritized. There's just enough MS to maintain and support SE growth. Bear in mind SE will affect future MS sessions and interfere with "freshness". If MS is higher priority>SE, then I wouldn't take this approach.
Right... makes sense. Thanks DO.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

spemma

Post by spemma »

K.B. wrote: If you're just training a handful of SE exercises for PFT or qualification (3-4 tops) - then another option is to repeat that cluster:

Fighter Session#1
BP/SQ
+

Fighter Session#2
BP/SQ
+

SE Day #1
Push-ups
Pull-ups
sit-ups

This is exactly what I was just wondering about and this fits what I want to do perfect. Thank you!