Mass Protocol - Available NOW + TOC/FAQs

MxS/SE/HIC/E
YohanBC

Re: Mass Protocol - Available NOW + TOC/FAQs

Post by YohanBC »

Hello, I just bought the mass protocol book as it's exactly what I was looking for. Before I can read it, I have a few questions. I'm still a student now, I have 1 and a half year left to do in university, then I will become a police officer in France, my country. Now, I want gain muscle mass without losing functionality, that's why u ordered this book. But my questions are ;
I train in my apartment and I have a squat stand, a barbell, an adjustable bench, dumbbells and a dips/chin up station, will it be enough for the program?
Also, I train in boxing 2-3 times per week, will it be a problem?

Thanks!

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

YohanBC wrote:Hello, I just bought the mass protocol book as it's exactly what I was looking for. Before I can read it, I have a few questions. I'm still a student now, I have 1 and a half year left to do in university, then I will become a police officer in France, my country. Now, I want gain muscle mass without losing functionality, that's why u ordered this book. But my questions are ;
I train in my apartment and I have a squat stand, a barbell, an adjustable bench, dumbbells and a dips/chin up station, will it be enough for the program?
Also, I train in boxing 2-3 times per week, will it be a problem?

Thanks!
I don’t own the book yet. I would guess this is in the faq from other posts.

Tailor your cluster to your equipment and you will be fine.

Boxing wise you have 2 approaches:

Boxing is your conditioning and that is all.

Treat boxing and HIC/E differently.

You need to be more specific if you want a more specific answer.

Personally I treat sport seperate to conditioning and adjust my training accordingly. Current focus is BJJ and Easy LSS volume so my strength has taken a back seat.

VenomousCoffee

Post by VenomousCoffee »

On the boxing:

The conditioning work in the new book is a lot easier than in TB2. As in, they look really easy to me and I suck at it. And it says explicitly you can't use the sessions from TB2 for the new mass protocol.

I think that the best case scenario is that you have to eat a whole lot more food to make up for the boxing work.

Hellequin

Post by Hellequin »

K.B. wrote:
Hellequin wrote:I was looking forward to this book for so long! I just ordered it and have to wait now for at least 3 weeks (Switzerland). The cost of the shipping equals the costs of the book. Would love to additionally buy an electronic version what could be read if I am on the road and don't have the hardcopy with me.

Thank you for this KB!
Are you using Amazon.EU? The sale price is across the board - all Amazon markets.

I used Amazon from the States. I cancelled the order and reordered in EU. Already received it with free shipping! So it was totally my mistake.
After reading it I already started with Mass BB today. And during reading it and writing down my programs the first questions showed up:

1.) Base Building: Is it okey to do the SE and the E sessions on one day? I only have 3 day for the gym every week (active LEO, father, husband...) and also do martial arts once a week. So my plan is: Mon SE&E, Tue Martial Arts, Wed SE&E, Fri SE&E - will this be fine?

2.) Mass Template: It's a 4 day plan. Can I use it instead like Operator and substitute WPU with DL on the third day? (if not I will do Grey Man..)

3.) Specificity: Also 4 day plans - are there options for 3 days a week? Or just use those plans and to them in 8 or 9 days? It's not possible to go 4 times to the gym during 1 week.

--

I really enjoyed the book and read it in one turn. Going to reread it during christmas holiday. Thank you very much!

K.B.
Site Admin

Post by K.B. »

Hellequin wrote:
K.B. wrote:
Hellequin wrote:I was looking forward to this book for so long! I just ordered it and have to wait now for at least 3 weeks (Switzerland). The cost of the shipping equals the costs of the book. Would love to additionally buy an electronic version what could be read if I am on the road and don't have the hardcopy with me.

Thank you for this KB!
Are you using Amazon.EU? The sale price is across the board - all Amazon markets.

I used Amazon from the States. I cancelled the order and reordered in EU. Already received it with free shipping! So it was totally my mistake.
After reading it I already started with Mass BB today. And during reading it and writing down my programs the first questions showed up:

1.) Base Building: Is it okey to do the SE and the E sessions on one day? I only have 3 day for the gym every week (active LEO, father, husband...) and also do martial arts once a week. So my plan is: Mon SE&E, Tue Martial Arts, Wed SE&E, Fri SE&E - will this be fine?

2.) Mass Template: It's a 4 day plan. Can I use it instead like Operator and substitute WPU with DL on the third day? (if not I will do Grey Man..)

3.) Specificity: Also 4 day plans - are there options for 3 days a week? Or just use those plans and to them in 8 or 9 days? It's not possible to go 4 times to the gym during 1 week.

--

I really enjoyed the book and read it in one turn. Going to reread it during christmas holiday. Thank you very much!
1. No issues. Base Building doesn't play a prominent a role for mass cycles so you can even cut the E down to 20 mins or twice a week. Self-evaluate before making any changes of course, based on your operational needs and ability. Also, martial arts counts as an E.

2. Yes. But you might want to drop the squats instead - up to you. Individual work capacity varies.

3. You can squeeze it into an ABA-BAB three day model. Another option is to go with Specificity Alpha and do only one day MS and two days H. If you do drop down to three, increasing the number of H sets when your schedule allows it will help buffer the loss of that 4th day.

These changes aren't optimal, but that's life - sometimes a bit of a trade-off is necessary.

matt76

Post by matt76 »

Hi all.

Thanks for the book KB. It was a great read and I'm looking forward (like many others) to giving OMS a run. I've convinced some of my mates into buying TB1 and II, but I expect that this book will be the best introduction to the overall approach going forward, and the one that I'd be most likely to recommend to anyone starting out. It's comprehensive enough without being overwhelming.

Incidentally, Amazon US shipped to Aus. remarkably fast.

Just one question after my first read through:

- When running mass protocol, are there any adjustments / factors that should be considered for a reasonably fit ( and not overweight) 40 y.o plus trainee (generally speaking)?

Thanks,

Matt.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

matt76 wrote:Hi all.

Thanks for the book KB. It was a great read and I'm looking forward (like many others) to giving OMS a run. I've convinced some of my mates into buying TB1 and II, but I expect that this book will be the best introduction to the overall approach going forward, and the one that I'd be most likely to recommend to anyone starting out. It's comprehensive enough without being overwhelming.

- When running mass protocol, are there any adjustments / factors that should be considered for a reasonably fit ( and not overweight) 40 y.o plus trainee (generally speaking)?

Thanks,

Matt.
Great question! I’d add: When running OMS - to the question - Not just Mass..
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

matt76

Post by matt76 »

Barkadion wrote:
matt76 wrote:Hi all.

Thanks,

Matt.
Great question! I’d add: When running OMS - to the question - Not just Mass..

Thanks Bark -that's a great addition.

Regards,

Matt.

VenomousCoffee

Post by VenomousCoffee »

Related, is Grey Man supposed to be for the olds? The name seems to say yes, but I didn't see it in the text. If there is an explanation of the name in the text, I'd appreciate a point in the right direction.

Book is a good, worthwhile read even though I don't really need to build more muscle. I do think OMS seems like a great addition and should have gotten a more prominent spot.

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

VenomousCoffee wrote:Related, is Grey Man supposed to be for the olds? The name seems to say yes, but I didn't see it in the text. If there is an explanation of the name in the text, I'd appreciate a point in the right direction.
I think Grey Man is a covert operative.

Of the four generals, GM is the one we'd be most likely to screw up so is probably not as ideal as the others for the over-40 club, IMO.