The New Big 3 for Non-Powerlifters

MxS/SE/HIC/E
TBPenguin

Re: The New Big 3 for Non-Powerlifters

Post by TBPenguin »

Barkadion wrote:
Stefano wrote:
Barkadion wrote:I am running classic SQ/BP/WPU cluster with KB swings for HIC/GC. Works awesome for the moment..
Bark, do you mean KB swings are in your HIC/GC sessions, or do you mean your HIC/GC sessions are just KB swings?

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

TBPenguin wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
Stefano wrote:
Bark, do you mean KB swings are in your HIC/GC sessions, or do you mean your HIC/GC sessions are just KB swings?
Oh, my bad, sorry. Swing are in the conditioning sessions.

I am doing ME2 (swing and burpees) and GC6 (swings, burpees, air squats). I am using both KBs and T-loading pin to progress with the load. It is no joke :D
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Version1

Post by Version1 »

TBDL ,Z press,Barbell row for my cluster

Trx push ups/Rows
Bulgarian Split squats,plank for ME cluster

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Version1 wrote:TBDL ,Z press,Barbell row for my cluster

Trx push ups/Rows
Bulgarian Split squats,plank for ME cluster
Z-press.. No kidding. Are you sitting on the floor? Using bar or DB?

Version1

Post by Version1 »

Sat down ,legs spread
Dumbells
It's hell
But less CNS recovery than push press

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Version1 wrote:It's hell
You bet..

jzt

Post by jzt »

I started out using OHP, Chin Ups and TBDL as my cluster.

I switched to a slightly more complex cluster of OHP/Bench (alternating), Back Squat, Chin Ups and 1 set of DL per week. I made great strength gains, but it feels more like lifting just to get higher numbers, rather than lifting to get stronger.

I'm now back to the original cluster of OHP, Chins and TBDL and I love its simplicity and effectiveness. I think it should be coupled with assistance work for the core (AB Roller and Back Ext in my case) and some form of horizontal pressing (Weight Vest Push Ups here).

Regarding low handles vs high handles, it's a grey area. I'm nearly 6'1 and my ''high handles'' are barely 3 inches higher, it allows for a much more athletic position in my case. Some trap bars high handles are almost 10 inches higher, which is a bit ridiculous. I say so whatever gets you stronger while keeping you injury free. I find the extra 3 inches when using the low handles just isn't worth compromising my lower back.

wcu25rs

Post by wcu25rs »

bumping this to see if anyone has completed a cluster of the OP(TBDL, weighted dips and WCU/WPU) and how they liked it, progress, etc. Ive been dealing with a bulged disc for the last two months and am still rehabbing it. I had to quit during my 3rd week of my 3rd block of Op/Black, which was nearly two months ago and have done zero lifting since. Only in the last week have I started doing some light two handed and one handed carries(along with doing McGills Big 3 for the last month). Anyway, I am planning on starting a Fighter/Black block hopefully next week and this cluster really appeals to me because it seems to be less taxing on the back than a cluster involving squats, plus it's different and seems like it might be a fun way to change it up a bit. Also, since being out for a while and not benching, my forearms and wrists have quit hurting all the time, so I doubt I will be incorporating BP back into a cluster anytime soon. Just curious if anyone has any feedback on this cluster. FWIW, I would be finishing each strength session off with a some type of carry.

jzt

Post by jzt »

I'm always in the cycle of TBDL, OHP and Chin Ups then I think ''Why not add bench and squats, and return to conv deadlifts?'' And I always end up having some minor pain somewhere, not wanting to risk it and going back to TBDL, OHP and Chins. It's an endless cycle I'm trying to stop.

Honestly unless you compete in powerlifting and make a living from it (less than 0,0001% of the population) there is zero point in the ''Big 3''. TBDL, OHP and Chin Ups couple with some circuits involving ab work, goblet squats, ghrs, lunges, face pulls, dips/push up etcs is really all you need for strength.