MxS/SE/HIC/E
Version1

Re: Trap Bar DL (HH) vs Conventional Deadlift

Post by Version1 »

I tbdl if my workout is same day as bjj,saves back for class

mseanmc

Post by mseanmc »

I have been using TBDL in my Gray Man Mass Protocol block as a squat replacement. After a history of low back issues, having no lateral meniscus in my left knee, low mobility in my right ankle due to injury in my teens and little mobility in my right wrist due to a botched surgery and subsequent infections, traditional squatting doesn’t work terribly well for me. I pair tbdl with bench press as the main movement on “A” days and use OHP and RDL as the main lifts on “B” days. I use 3 different accessory lifts for A and B days, one of which is Romanian split squats. I do not incorporate a traditional barbell deadlift in my routine. I am built to pull with long arms and do not have a problem executing the movement. I just feel like I get what I need using the tbdl with the rest of my programming. If you believe you are getting what you need and you aren’t building up imbalances, stick with what works for you.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

No mention of the Jefferson deadlift?

This conversation is a little funny because the subject is old news in strongman. We do side-handle (trap bar, frame, car deadlift), barbell, thick bar (axle), from a wide variety of heights, and even on a lever (car deadlift). We just work on whichever one we have coming up in competition.

The answer for everyone here? Do whichever one you prefer. The difference in your outcome will be unnoticeable. Even better would be to rotate between them. If I had to choose one for the rest of my life, it would be the frame (trap bar).

03rockeater

Post by 03rockeater »

For some reason I've always thought of the TBDL as huge quad exercise. Years ago I would straight bar dead lift on a regular basis but when I tried to get back into it recently I found it really difficult to do (a combination of lower back problems and poor hip mobility).

For those that do TBDL AND back squat as part of your TB cluster, do you have any problems with this combination? Again, keep in mind that I always saw TBDL as a "modified squat" and thought it was a leg exercise.....but I think I've been wrong this whole time.

I want to get back into DL but don't want to over train. Maybe on the days I incorporate TBDL I can cut back on the sets of squats I do?? Still in BB right now so I have a while to think this one out...

wcu25rs

Post by wcu25rs »

03rockeater wrote:For some reason I've always thought of the TBDL as huge quad exercise. Years ago I would straight bar dead lift on a regular basis but when I tried to get back into it recently I found it really difficult to do (a combination of lower back problems and poor hip mobility).

For those that do TBDL AND back squat as part of your TB cluster, do you have any problems with this combination? Again, keep in mind that I always saw TBDL as a "modified squat" and thought it was a leg exercise.....but I think I've been wrong this whole time.

I want to get back into DL but don't want to over train. Maybe on the days I incorporate TBDL I can cut back on the sets of squats I do?? Still in BB right now so I have a while to think this one out...
I just finished up doing a 12 week Op block that had back squats and TBDL's in it(I used the deadlift once a week for 3 working sets approach). I never found it to overlap too much as far as making the dead feel heavier after doing squats. However, on the day that I did my deads, I just did 3 sets of squats. Never found it to be detrimental.

03rockeater

Post by 03rockeater »

wcu25rs wrote:
03rockeater wrote:For some reason I've always thought of the TBDL as huge quad exercise. Years ago I would straight bar dead lift on a regular basis but when I tried to get back into it recently I found it really difficult to do (a combination of lower back problems and poor hip mobility).

I just finished up doing a 12 week Op block that had back squats and TBDL's in it(I used the deadlift once a week for 3 working sets approach). I never found it to overlap too much as far as making the dead feel heavier after doing squats. However, on the day that I did my deads, I just did 3 sets of squats. Never found it to be detrimental.

Thanks, I think I'll go with this same approach

jzt

Post by jzt »

The TBDL really is a deadlift more than a squat. That being said, it hits the quads, hamstrings, glutes, lower back, traps and forearms. I find it best to use a minimalist cluster (OHP, WCUs, TBDL) and then add whatever is missing through SE circuits as assistance (Push Ups, Dips, KB Swings, KB Squats, AB work, etc.)

wcu25rs

Post by wcu25rs »

was doing some extra reading on TBDL's and found this t-nation article. I knew most of what it was talking about, but what really surprised me is the info under "More Power". Anyway, some of what I read in my browsing of different information, I'm totally on board with making the TBDL the mainstay for me instead of Conventional. At 36, Ive reached that point where I'm favoring lower risk for injury and longevity over maximal strength. My last block of Op with the TrapBar was with the low handles. This next block, I'm gonna switch to high handles and see how it goes.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/trap-bar-deadlift

jzt

Post by jzt »

wcu25rs wrote:was doing some extra reading on TBDL's and found this t-nation article. I knew most of what it was talking about, but what really surprised me is the info under "More Power". Anyway, some of what I read in my browsing of different information, I'm totally on board with making the TBDL the mainstay for me instead of Conventional. At 36, Ive reached that point where I'm favoring lower risk for injury and longevity over maximal strength. My last block of Op with the TrapBar was with the low handles. This next block, I'm gonna switch to high handles and see how it goes.

I prefer the high handles when using the TBDL. I also do conv deadlifts in waves, but the whole point of the TBDL is to be slightly more upright. I have found low handle TBDL to be more strenous on my lower back than a conventional deadlift.

High handle TBDL > Low handle TBDL

wcu25rs

Post by wcu25rs »

jzt wrote:
wcu25rs wrote:was doing some extra reading on TBDL's and found this t-nation article. I knew most of what it was talking about, but what really surprised me is the info under "More Power". Anyway, some of what I read in my browsing of different information, I'm totally on board with making the TBDL the mainstay for me instead of Conventional. At 36, Ive reached that point where I'm favoring lower risk for injury and longevity over maximal strength. My last block of Op with the TrapBar was with the low handles. This next block, I'm gonna switch to high handles and see how it goes.

I prefer the high handles when using the TBDL. I also do conv deadlifts in waves, but the whole point of the TBDL is to be slightly more upright. I have found low handle TBDL to be more strenous on my lower back than a conventional deadlift.

High handle TBDL > Low handle TBDL

when i first experimented with the TBDL i didnt like high handle at all. To me, low handle felt more like a conventional DL, but with less stress on the low back. However, after reading that article, I'm gonna give high handle a full block and see how it goes.