Base Building Heart Rate

MxS/SE/HIC/E
kasrkin27

Base Building Heart Rate

Post by kasrkin27 »

Hey guys a little background. I'm 32 years old, 6'5", ~240lbs and I haven't worked out in 7 years or so. I'm not getting any younger and a lot of people in my family have had heart attacks. I want to get back in shape and I'm interested in getting my heart healthy. I bought TB2 and S&S and I've decided to do a slightly modified basebuild. My plan is to do S&S 6 days a week on my lunch break and do LSS in the evenings 5 days a week, starting with 30m a session the first week, and progressing as laid out in the Basebuilding program in TB2. I'm currently in Week 1.

TB2 recommends doing LSS at 50-70% max heart rate to maximize cardiac hypertrophy. The issue I'm having is I'm so out of shape that I cannot jog at a slow enough pace without increasing my HR into the 85% range. Should I simply walk in the 50-70% range? Or is it ok to do my LSS sessions for basebuilding in the 85% range? For example, my max heart rate is 188 (220-32), so my 50-70% range is 94-131. However, jogging at 3.9mph (on a treadmill, which is painfully slow, its almost awkward jogging at that speed) usually has my heart rate from 145-160 depending on how long I've been jogging. I would say for the first 15 minutes its in the upper 140s, and then for the next 10 minutes its in the mid 150s, and the last 5 or 10 minutes of my session its in the low 160s.

I'm using a Fitbit Inspire HR to monitor my HR. I thought it might be off so after my first run I decided to track my heart rate for 15 seconds manually, multiply that by 4, and I got a very close number to what was showing on my fitbit, so I doubt its *too* inaccurate.

TL;DR: Jogging spikes my HR higher than the 50-70% threshold suggested in TB2. Should I just walk in the 50-70% max HR zone for my perscribed LSS sessions for basebuilding? Or is it ok to jog at 85% until I build up the stamina to jog at a similar pace in the 50-70% range?

godjira1

Re: Base Building Heart Rate

Post by godjira1 »

My 2 cents: walking is ok if it lets u get into the correct HR zone for aerobic adaptation. as you get fitter and drop some weight u will naturally need to speed up to a jog to get into the same hr zone.
It ain't what you don’t know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain’t so.

Adski

Post by Adski »

If you have access to a spin bike or some other non impact cardio equipment that could prove useful.

HR for LSS generally is 120-150bpm so if you’re in the 140’s that’s fine. Walking is also fine, work with what you have.

If you’ve been out for a while, your body may or may not respond well with diving into s&s. Personally I would recommend performing bb as written or at least performing your SE work involving something along the lines of push ups, an Ab exercise (leg raises, sit ups) light KB swings (geese the groove for s&s later on) squats and some form of row,(lying rows).

When you get to weeks 6-8 then look at using s&s for the 2 days a week to lead in to performing s&s regularly. You might also be interested in pavels latest book, the quick and the dead.

Trip

Post by Trip »

walk/jog
keep it under 130 BPM

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

You might benefit from reading this article:

http://tacticalbarbell.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=16&t=25
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Adski

Post by Adski »

Barkadion wrote:You might benefit from reading this article:

http://tacticalbarbell.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=16&t=25
x2 on considering this.

Ive run something similar for trainees returning back from injury on the way to building up towards upgrade before shifting back to regular PT.

OneOfManyRobs

Post by OneOfManyRobs »

Simple & Sinister is a solid program, I did it for a couple months before switching to TB. One thing to consider is that, when I tried combining it with the LSS BB, I found it was too much. I was exhausted after a week of doing both, especially as I was exclusively using the 24kg kettlebell. TGUs started getting pretty taxing at that weight.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy

kasrkin27

Post by kasrkin27 »

Thanks for the replies everyone. I've since returned to walking to stay within the 50-70% MHR. I've been tweaking the treadmill settings by adjusting the elevation and increasing the speed and when my heart rate passes the 70% threshold I reduce the incline. I've been doing my 30m sessions at around 125-130 BPM. My hope is after a few weeks I'll be able to jog at a very slow rate. I feel a different kind of work being done when I jog as opposed to when I walk. It's hard to feel that I'm doing the optimal thing for my heart health, but I will be disciplined and follow the protocol.

I still plan to do S&S 6 days a week and LSS 5 days a week. I'm still in my first week of doing it and I'm using a 16kg kettlebell. For swings it seems incredibly light, but for TGU it is challenging. Its a good challenge though. Still very wobbly on TGU so I am spending more time working on the form and doing the shoe test, but I get a few reps in with the 16kg bell. I plan on staying with the 16kg weight until I "own the weight" with both swings and TGU's, at which point I'll begin to slowly incorporate the 24kg bell.

I've noticed that S&S isn't much of a SE activity. On one hand, I do think swings and TGU's are very beneficial as a "base building" exercise, but I believe the trade-off here is that I'm not getting much SE work in. So I'm not sure if I can legitimately say I'm following the base building program that's in TB2. Even so, I think my first goal is to achieve "Simple". After that, I'll probably do a 6 week base build where I'll focus on E, SE, and HIC sessions and slowly bring in the strength exercises.

I'm torn because part of me says "just do the pre-basebuild, then the basebuild, then the black program" but then another part of me believes that S&S is an optimal GPP program that will give me a ironed out posterior chain, extremely stable shoulders, and a solid core. I feel like if I focus on S&S first, I'll have a superior foundation on which to basebuild and do the black program. Am I overthinking it?

Thoughts?

wcu25rs

Post by wcu25rs »

kasrkin27 wrote:Thanks for the replies everyone. I've since returned to walking to stay within the 50-70% MHR. I've been tweaking the treadmill settings by adjusting the elevation and increasing the speed and when my heart rate passes the 70% threshold I reduce the incline. I've been doing my 30m sessions at around 125-130 BPM. My hope is after a few weeks I'll be able to jog at a very slow rate. I feel a different kind of work being done when I jog as opposed to when I walk. It's hard to feel that I'm doing the optimal thing for my heart health, but I will be disciplined and follow the protocol.

I still plan to do S&S 6 days a week and LSS 5 days a week. I'm still in my first week of doing it and I'm using a 16kg kettlebell. For swings it seems incredibly light, but for TGU it is challenging. Its a good challenge though. Still very wobbly on TGU so I am spending more time working on the form and doing the shoe test, but I get a few reps in with the 16kg bell. I plan on staying with the 16kg weight until I "own the weight" with both swings and TGU's, at which point I'll begin to slowly incorporate the 24kg bell.

I've noticed that S&S isn't much of a SE activity. On one hand, I do think swings and TGU's are very beneficial as a "base building" exercise, but I believe the trade-off here is that I'm not getting much SE work in. So I'm not sure if I can legitimately say I'm following the base building program that's in TB2. Even so, I think my first goal is to achieve "Simple". After that, I'll probably do a 6 week base build where I'll focus on E, SE, and HIC sessions and slowly bring in the strength exercises.

I'm torn because part of me says "just do the pre-basebuild, then the basebuild, then the black program" but then another part of me believes that S&S is an optimal GPP program that will give me a ironed out posterior chain, extremely stable shoulders, and a solid core. I feel like if I focus on S&S first, I'll have a superior foundation on which to basebuild and do the black program. Am I overthinking it?

Thoughts?
I just bought S&S to either do it as a full program later on, or to use as a finisher after my strength days, so I get wanting to do it, but I feel like trying to do two full programs simultaneously is gonna have adverse effects and is not really fair to the programs themselves, you're more than likely gonna decrease their effectiveness. I've completed BB twice, once with the Strength First template and once regular. It's an absolutely fantastic program and I would strongly urge you to follow it as written to maximize its benefits. Then maybe search around here and see how people have fit S&S into their continuations. Even Pavel says in the book that it can be fit into existing programs doing S&S 2 or 3 days a week. I think I've read people using S&S in BB but just for the SE workouts which is just a couple days a week.