How much E is too much?

MxS/SE/HIC/E
J-Madd

Re: How much E is too much?

Post by J-Madd »

Aelian wrote:Black Standard = 1 E every other week
Black Pro = 1 E every week. Suggested duration 60 minutes for professionals. But the book also says to adjust up or down as needed.

Base Building minimum = 30 mins. 45 minutes suggested if you want to up the ante.

If you're a recreational athlete that struggles with gaining strength, why in the world would you stray beyond the minimums after Base? Or even during Base? Work on your weaknesses first, and then return to E or whatever.

Alternatively, if you retain muscle fairly well (genetically predisposed, young, good recovery strategies/nutrition, or any other contributing factor), and have a hankering for E, why limit yourself?

Standard TB is a protocol for tactical professionals. Take a moment and think of that demographic; likely young, maybe naturally athletic or genetically inclined, with some substantial training history behind them (probably already experienced bootcamp or something similar).

This isn't to say TB isn't meant for everyone else. KB gives clear guidelines in the book for adjusting the program up and down for those that don't fit into that narrow demographic. He harps on it over and over, adjust the program for your needs, start with the basic level HICs, stick to the minimums for E etc etc. Double the E duration if you're an operator and so forth.

It comes down to knowing your goal. Why are you training? Who do you want to be after all's said and done? The huge powerlifter dude with decent cardio, or the wiry guy with extreme endurance? Or maybe you want to sit smack dab in the middle. Figure it out and adjust your TB protocol accordingly.
I think we should "sticky" that is post!

Train_Hard_Live_Easy

Post by Train_Hard_Live_Easy »

Aelian wrote: Standard TB is a protocol for tactical professionals. Take a moment and think of that demographic; likely young, maybe naturally athletic or genetically inclined, with some substantial training history behind them (probably already experienced bootcamp or something similar).

This isn't to say TB isn't meant for everyone else. KB gives clear guidelines in the book for adjusting the program up and down for those that don't fit into that narrow demographic. He harps on it over and over, adjust the program for your needs, start with the basic level HICs, stick to the minimums for E etc etc. Double the E duration if you're an operator and so forth.

It comes down to knowing your goal. Why are you training? Who do you want to be after all's said and done? The huge powerlifter dude with decent cardio, or the wiry guy with extreme endurance? Or maybe you want to sit smack dab in the middle. Figure it out and adjust your TB protocol accordingly.
Pure gold!

Keep the goal, the goal.

Bravissimo
Have a great one

Steve
Train Hard, Live Easy.
"What was hard to do, is sweet to remember" Seneca.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

How about huge powerlifter dude with extreme endurance? 8-)

Agreed with J-Madd, well said. Sums up the thread well.

Aelian

Post by Aelian »

Green2Blue wrote:How about huge powerlifter dude with extreme endurance? 8-)

Agreed with J-Madd, well said. Sums up the thread well.
I think people can get huge-er than they think even with some high end endurance. Not Ser Gregor Clegane huge, but pretty big nonetheless. Anecdotally I know a handful of humans that look like bears that run endurance events throughout the year. If the spirit is strong, and the calories are eaten-- it's very possible. TB is definitely the program that will get you there too.

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

Excellent thread.

Well said Aelian. TB was designed for a specific outcome (600lb deadlift, run a half marathon at any given time etc). That being said TB was also designed to deviate from that specific outcome. An athlete focused on strength and power is going to have a TB training year that looks vastly different from that of a TB reader taking 3 years to prepare for SAS Endurance phase.

xfitxm

Post by xfitxm »

DocOctagon wrote:Excellent thread.

Well said Aelian. TB was designed for a specific outcome (600lb deadlift, run a half marathon at any given time etc).
I often read this information. But is it possible to accomplish those 2 goals while on operator black?

Running a half marathon need more volume than 1 E session every other week. I think.

Am I wrong?

Is it more for the green protocol?

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

xfitxm wrote:

Well said Aelian. TB was designed for a specific outcome (600lb deadlift, run a half marathon at any given time etc).
I often read this information. But is it possible to accomplish those 2 goals while on operator black?

Running a half marathon need more volume than 1 E session every other week. I think.

Am I wrong?

It's absolutely possible.

Im6-7

Post by Im6-7 »

xfitxm wrote:

Am I wrong?

Is this a serious question? This is very do-able. Pre-TB I had a 475lb squat, and helped my girlfriend train for her first half with no issues at all. That was from just lifting 3 x week and running no more than 3 miles 2-3 x week. I was very consistent though, didn't miss runs and workouts.

Or do you mean will you have this ability after one or two blocks of TB? Endurance, like strength builds up over time. If you're starting at ground zero it's not going to happen after a block or two, start thinking in years. Consistently doing any running and lifting will get you there, TB just happens to be the most efficient way I've come across personally.

Obviously if you're a weak runner and it's an area you want to work on then go with Black Professional instead. It'll get you there a little faster. But If you've already got a decent aerobic base then even Black standard will easily get you there if you choose the running HICs all the time.

xfitxm

Post by xfitxm »

Im6-7 wrote:
xfitxm wrote:

Am I wrong?

Is this a serious question? This is very do-able. Pre-TB I had a 475lb squat, and helped my girlfriend train for her first half with no issues at all. That was from just lifting 3 x week and running no more than 3 miles 2-3 x week. I was very consistent though, didn't miss runs and workouts.

Or do you mean will you have this ability after one or two blocks of TB? Endurance, like strength builds up over time. If you're starting at ground zero it's not going to happen after a block or two, start thinking in years. Consistently doing any running and lifting will get you there, TB just happens to be the most efficient way I've come across personally.

Obviously if you're a weak runner and it's an area you want to work on then go with Black Professional instead. It'll get you there a little faster. But If you've already got a decent aerobic base then even Black standard will easily get you there if you choose the running HICs all the time.
Maybe my legs doesn’t have the endurance yet because a half is really longer than 3 miles.

Was she doing HIC or only running?

But that's what I'm struggling with. Knowing if I make progress with conditioning. Having a plan on progression.

It's easier with weight.

Im6-7

Post by Im6-7 »

xfitxm wrote:
Im6-7 wrote:
xfitxm wrote:
Maybe my legs doesn’t have the endurance yet because a half is really longer than 3 miles.

Was she doing HIC or only running?

But that's what I'm struggling with. Knowing if I make progress with conditioning. Having a plan on progression.

It's easier with weight.
I don't know man, I wasn't really paying attention to her training, I'd just go the occasional distance with her.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "thats what I'm struggling with". What are your goals, how consistent are you, and what's your sticking point exactly? TB pretty much lays it out for you step by step. If you've never spent much time running don't expect to be able to run a half in one or two blocks. How long did it take you to get to a double BW deadlift or 2x bench? Endurance is no different when it comes to acquiring the skill.

Running a half isn't too hard of a thing to train for--- a full marathon is a little more tricky & usually the event that needs a little extra specialized training.