Ab training?

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Chris

Ab training?

Post by Chris »

Reading through the TB books, I don't see too much about ab training and I'm not really sure how it fits in or would be included. Is that something that would be done at the end of a strength session?

Thanks.

DocOctagon

Re: Ab training?

Post by DocOctagon »

Reread the "Core & Grip Finishers" Chapter in TB2.

You can use the Plank & Shank as a finisher anytime 2-3 times a week after strength or conditioning. Many of the HICs contain ab work, the GCs in particular. You can do a Full Core session once every couple weeks in place of HIC. Include an ab exercise in your SE cluster during Base. Lots and lots of options!

Personally I like to do a few sets of Ab Roller and hanging Toes-to-Bar every once in a while after my Operator work. You're getting a lot of indirect ab work through the regular TB protocols, so you don't need a whole lot on top of it all.

Chris

Post by Chris »

Thanks. I'll look up those sections and read them more carefully.

Mindboozer

Post by Mindboozer »

Personally, I try to do 2 of MicGill's Big 3 after MS, E, and HIC workouts. Helps me keep my back healthy. Bird dogs, Stir-the-pot, and side planks.

There's also this article: https://www.t-nation.com/training/build ... human-core

I would choose 1 or 2 to do after MS, E, or HIC sessions if you are interested in upping the core training. I find SE sessions leave my core pretty wiped out, so I don't do any finishers.

WallBilly

Post by WallBilly »

DocOctagon wrote:. . . . . You're getting a lot of indirect ab work through the regular TB protocols, so you don't need a whole lot on top of it all.
Agree with Doc. For the last 3 years, the only "ab" work I have done is low-bar back squats and deadlifts (some blocks). I'm turning 55 in March, and my core (including abs and back) has never been stronger or more pain-free.

Oh, and I don't miss the crunches or sit-ups one little bit . . . .

Stefan Olsson

Post by Stefan Olsson »

I´ve used Turkish Get-ups with great results. they work the entire core and stabilisators and at the same time works well as an assessment and corrective tool.
If a fight is inevitable, hit first.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

WallBilly wrote:
DocOctagon wrote:. . . . . You're getting a lot of indirect ab work through the regular TB protocols, so you don't need a whole lot on top of it all.
Agree with Doc. For the last 3 years, the only "ab" work I have done is low-bar back squats and deadlifts (some blocks). I'm turning 55 in March, and my core (including abs and back) has never been stronger or more pain-free.

Oh, and I don't miss the crunches or sit-ups one little bit . . . .
Agreed. Direct ab work is dessert. Barbell work is the main course.