Getting fit for running shoes?

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Block20GoesBoom

Getting fit for running shoes?

Post by Block20GoesBoom »

So during this last HIC day I started to feel a discomfort in my left shin. It wasn't painful per say but I had a strong feeling that if I kept running it would start to be. I have felt this before when my running shoes were getting to be very old and my current kicks are over 2.5 years old. Im thinking about making a drive this weekend to go get fit for some running shoes that go along with my gait.

How do you guys feel about this? I've only heard good things about it and it should be helpful with the amount of conditioning I am introducing into my life.

Green2Blue

Re: Getting fit for running shoes?

Post by Green2Blue »

Do it. I struggle with finding a fitting shoe constantly, but don't have anywhere nearby that does this.

alottadav

Post by alottadav »

I'll 2nd the do it answer.

2.5 years is generally too long if you're logging any miles on shoes.

If the drive is manageable to get video'd and fit for shoes you should do it, and ask for a print out of the analysis that way you'll have it and can by shoes that match it online from here on.

WallBilly

Post by WallBilly »

If you go to a quality store that really caters to the running crowd, they will have trained staff. I did this about 3-4 years ago at a store in Ann Arbor, can't remember which one now, and I was a bit skeptical. I had read stories about some stores having you run on a treadmill for a while, they record it, and analyze your gait to recommend the right shoe. Many of them were charging for this service, but people who ran a lot (high school distance runners, for example), were swearing that it was worth the spend.

At this particular store, the dude asked me to take my shoes off and simply walk away from him for 20 steps and then walk back.

He immediately diagnosed me as a "mild over-pronator" and had 5 different brands of shoe for me to try on that fit that style.

I bought two of them, an Asics GT2000 and a Mizuno Wave Inspire 9. I figured I'd run in both of them and choose my favorite. Funny thing, they both worked, and they both felt great. Currently I own an Asics and a Mizuno but the Asics is the 3rd one since that test day, and the Mizuno (Inspire 11 by then) is the second.

Now I keep my eye on Amazon, and if one of those shoes comes up on a good deal, I buy it whether the current shoe is worn out or not. :D

Block20GoesBoom

Post by Block20GoesBoom »

Well I will be going tomorrow. Its only an hour and a half drive and I'm going to try to fit a round of golf in too. I found a store I really like already. I have read some awesome review and the general manager seems to trust her staff a lot.

kirkor

Post by kirkor »

I run in minimalist-type shoes (Fivefingers, Gloves, Minimus) and as long as you don't go too hard too soon, I think it's a great option.

Onebunk

Post by Onebunk »

Is there a good online resource for finding someplace to do this?

kirkor

Post by kirkor »

Onebunk wrote:Is there a good online resource for finding someplace to do this?
That's going to be tough because it really takes someone looking at your stride to see if your over- or under-pronating, etc.

WhoDey

Post by WhoDey »

Here's a link from Runners World that might prove useful in finding a local running store. I test drove it for my location and it listed all the local running stores.

http://www.runnersworld.com/store-finder