A fun and alternative to farmer walks

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Stefan Olsson

A fun and alternative to farmer walks

Post by Stefan Olsson »

Farmer are awesome, but there are many ways to challenge and do your loaded carries. Dan John gives a great example that I use from time to time. The "Cook Drill" from Gray Cook. Pick a kettlebell and take it for a walk :)
Standing, hold a kettlebell in the rack.

Now press the kettlebell straight overhead and walk (waiter walk). Your arm should be completely straight, and your shoulder "packed" (pull it down and away from your ear).

If you feel your arm start to wobble or your core starts to shift, then you’ve lost integrity. When that happens, bring the weight back to the rack position. Hold the kettlebell in the rack position and continue to walk until you feel yourself losing integrity again. At that point, release the weight to your side so you’re holding it like a suitcase. Once you can’t hold the kettlebell in that position, switch hands and start from the beginning.
The rack position is always killing me! :D
If a fight is inevitable, hit first.

Barkadion

Re: A fun and alternative to farmer walks

Post by Barkadion »

Overhead carries are awesome for shoulder health. My favorite is 1-arm Bottoms-Up Kettlebell Carry. Makes you cry with sweet tears :lol:
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

kirkor

Re: A fun and alternative to farmer walks

Post by kirkor »

Cool variation especially for when someone doesn't have something to load heavy for farmer walks.