Running operator, missing reps on day 3 of lifts

MxS/SE/HIC/E
jzt

Re: Running operator, missing reps on day 3 of lifts

Post by jzt »

29bearcat wrote:
VenomousCoffee wrote:Bear, I just PM'ed you the current Operator details. Didn't want to post them in the wild.
Thanks, I have been working off TB2 all this time. I never caught the different rep schedule for week 5 when I read it. Makes sense why the 5x5 @ 85% was usually the sticking point. I always thought it should be 3-5/x 4.
I think that should solve all your issues. Keep in mind, you don't have to do the maximum amount of sets and reps. Something you could try to avoid plateauing would be to run a Block for 6 weeks with the minimum sets/reps, then rerun the Block with the same weights, but this time increasing the volume (going from 3 sets to 4 or 5). It would really allow you to get accustomed to the weights imo.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

29bearcat wrote:
VenomousCoffee wrote:Bear, I just PM'ed you the current Operator details. Didn't want to post them in the wild.
I have been working off TB2 all this time. I never caught the different rep schedule for week 5 when I read it. Makes sense why the 5x5 @ 85% was usually the sticking point. I always thought it should be 3-5/x 4.

Since I am going to be relaxing a bit here in a week, I think I will re-read the 3rd edition to see what else I missed.

Thanks

Sounds like you ended up with an answer.
Just another option regarding your heavy light medium idea, you can always use total sets instead.
Session 1 5x5
Session 2 4x5
Session 3 3x5

I am a shift worker also (Law Enforcement) and I keep the volume down on my strength sessions. I rarely go over 3 sets, but when I do try to push the volume I use the above on my days I can push hard.

close_fox

Post by close_fox »

Maxrip13 wrote:
Sounds like you ended up with an answer.
Just another option regarding your heavy light medium idea, you can always use total sets instead.
Session 1 5x5
Session 2 4x5
Session 3 3x5

I am a shift worker also (Law Enforcement) and I keep the volume down on my strength sessions. I rarely go over 3 sets, but when I do try to push the volume I use the above on my days I can push hard.
This is outstanding advice. Example of how there's room to adjust within the program.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I want to explicitly flag that the Op I/A template in Tactical Barbell (3rd ed., the strength book) replaces the Op I/A template found in Tactical Barbell II (the conditioning book).
"You oughta know not to stand by the window. Somebody see you up there." Talking Heads. "Life During Wartime." Fear of Music, Sire, 1979.

VenomousCoffee

Post by VenomousCoffee »

I think this thread is a good example of the benefits of editing both books into one complete edition, at least for Kindle.

(I say this as a big champion of TB, of course. I've recommended it to several friends.)