Progressing & percentages with fixed weights (kettlebells & bodyweight)

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Aiwacht

Progressing & percentages with fixed weights (kettlebells & bodyweight)

Post by Aiwacht »

OK, here is the programming question, in two parts that may share one answer:

a) As I get started, I'll be using kettlebells for weighted work exclusively. This really will only work as I am so deconditioned after the last two years, but I'll ride it out as far as it goes and then buy a barbell. My question is how to run the weights for Operator as percentages are not really viable with the fixed weights. I'll be using single bells and have 8, 12, 16, 20, 24, and 28Kg bells. Looking at a cluster of goblet squats/press/row + pushups.

b) The next question has to do with the same issue using upper body rows & pushups or rings.

My inclination is to use a sort of RPE within the rep ranges and just go from here. Any better ideas?

Lastly, my overall intention is to run a version of Operator-black while getting my body moving well again, and as the fall hits run the base building. Legs, lugs, and hips are not working well enough yet to start that without it compounding existing issues. After BB, back to Operator but I'll have a barbell available at that time.

Any thoughts, ideas, or tips appreciated!

Aidan

godjira1

Re: Progressing & percentages with fixed weights (kettlebells & bodyweight)

Post by godjira1 »

heya,

Because of the relatively big jump in weights for KB, the titrated progression approach for barbells are hard to implement.

Personally I use a Ladder ramp-up sets progression, which ends up being approximately the same rep scheme as the Fighter Pull-up Program. There are many variations of it (StrongFirst forums should give you plenty ideas but they generally work along the same lines).

Example:
12kg bell Clean & Press:
#1: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
#2: 2, 2, 3, 4, 5
#3: 2, 3, 3, 4, 5
#4: 2, 3, 4, 4, 5
#5: 2, 3, 4, 5, 5
#6: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Move up in weight, do total of 5 sets but aim for 3 reps max in first session
#7: 1, 2, 3, 1, 2.

YMMV but I used this approach for KB Clean & Presses and it did well for me.
It ain't what you don’t know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain’t so.

Aiwacht

Post by Aiwacht »

Thank you! I've done this with KBs in the past, hadn't considered it here!

Aidan
godjira1 wrote:heya,

Because of the relatively big jump in weights for KB, the titrated progression approach for barbells are hard to implement.

Personally I use a Ladder ramp-up sets progression, which ends up being approximately the same rep scheme as the Fighter Pull-up Program. There are many variations of it (StrongFirst forums should give you plenty ideas but they generally work along the same lines).

Example:
12kg bell Clean & Press:
#1: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
#2: 2, 2, 3, 4, 5
#3: 2, 3, 3, 4, 5
#4: 2, 3, 4, 4, 5
#5: 2, 3, 4, 5, 5
#6: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Move up in weight, do total of 5 sets but aim for 3 reps max in first session
#7: 1, 2, 3, 1, 2.

YMMV but I used this approach for KB Clean & Presses and it did well for me.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Heavy is subjective.

One of the best clusters I ever ran was fighter with 1 legged squats, bench press and weighted pullups.

I started with half 1 leg squats, worked on depth and eventually built up to 3x5 with a 24kg bell for my working sets, using the 32kg for my sets of 3. These were slow controlled squats and I maintained a double bodyweight back squat when swapped back to barbell work.

At the time I was suffering from heaps of back pain. The lower load allowed me to train around it and I put on a solid 5kg of muscle. All I did was progress from body weight squats through the kettlebell weights after every 3 weeks.I have 2x adjustable 32kg kettlebells and it worked really well.

You could do similar with the squats, sub in kettlebell overhead presses and use the kettlebells as weight for pullups with some rope.

Just another option for you to consider.

Aiwacht

Post by Aiwacht »

Thanks for your thoughts! This is pretty close to where I have landed. I Intend to run goblet squats until I max that bell, then switch to rack squats or pistols. Once I max the rows with the bells I'll switch to rings & then add weight, or pull-ups if my elbows allow it, which I have done in the past. One leg DLs work well for me, and I should be able to do pistols with some training. Pull-ups & Dips are doable with the rings. I'm thinking I'll run as far as I can with this setup & then perhaps get a trap bar, to see if that works better for me at this point that a straight bar. My back & hips started not liking much straight bar work in my mid 40's, at least squats & deads.

Thanks again for the ideas!

Maxrip13 wrote:Heavy is subjective.

One of the best clusters I ever ran was fighter with 1 legged squats, bench press and weighted pullups.

I started with half 1 leg squats, worked on depth and eventually built up to 3x5 with a 24kg bell for my working sets, using the 32kg for my sets of 3. These were slow controlled squats and I maintained a double bodyweight back squat when swapped back to barbell work.

At the time I was suffering from heaps of back pain. The lower load allowed me to train around it and I put on a solid 5kg of muscle. All I did was progress from body weight squats through the kettlebell weights after every 3 weeks.I have 2x adjustable 32kg kettlebells and it worked really well.

You could do similar with the squats, sub in kettlebell overhead presses and use the kettlebells as weight for pullups with some rope.

Just another option for you to consider.

Oscar

Post by Oscar »

You could consider doing a kettlebell program, instead of trying to adapt a barbell program to kettlebells. I think it would fit better. After you finish that program you can start Tactical Barbell with a barbell.

I'm currently running simple and Sinister. When I reach Simple goal I'll switch to TB most likely.

Just my 2 cents

StayGrey

Post by StayGrey »

You mentioned that you're deconditioned.... why not run Base Building with a kettlebell SE cluster?