Running operator, missing reps on day 3 of lifts

MxS/SE/HIC/E
29bearcat

Running operator, missing reps on day 3 of lifts

Post by 29bearcat »

I have run the same bench numbers for the past few cycles on TB operator (90% TM). Last cycle all 3 TM stayed the same. This cycle the squat and rows weight was added.

For instance, I am on my 85% week. I have do a 5 x 5 with 225lbs. I can hit the reps on Monday, usually struggle a bit on the 2nd day and usually fail on the 3rd. I missed a rep today on my 5th set (resting 4-5 min between sets). I am not sure if it is conditioning or what. Food it usually on point, but sleep is always a wild card with my job. Is it a too ambitious 1 rep max estimate? I have hit all my other reps in other weeks pretty solidly. I am nearing 45 y.o. so recovery isn't what it once was.

Also, has anyone tried following the Operator template but splitting it up in heavy day, light day and medium day for a week. i.e. 1st workout 90%, 2nd workout 70%, 3rd workout 80%. Then next week 95%, 75% & 85%.

I have a few weeks before vacation and I can't get in an entire 6 week cycle so I am thinking I may experiment with it. Any thoughts?

jzt

Re: Running operator, missing reps on day 3 of lifts

Post by jzt »

First of all, if youre missing reps, your go to option shouldnt be to modify the program.

Three things stand out:

1) You dont have to do 5 x 5, in fact I only do the minimum amount of sets myself, which is 3 for the week youre at. Think of it as total sets per week and not per workout. 3 days of 3x5 clean sets is always better than going for 5x5 and having the performance as the week goes by, as well as missing reps.

2) Sleep is crucial. It should be a priority. Nap when you can, set an alarm to go to sleep. I work up to 80 hours some weeks and i still manage good sleep, so theres no excuses.

3) Your TM shouldnt stay the same cycle after cycle, either retest the 1RMs or force progresssion.

Adski

Post by Adski »

Another problem could be that with operator, 85% is 3-5x3 reps not 5 reps.

VenomousCoffee

Post by VenomousCoffee »

^^ :lol: Always pays to double check the grid!

Setting that aside, a few things come to mind. If you're missing reps, my first recommendation would be to use the minimum sets for each lift. Second would be to use a training max/ drop 10% off the lifts. Simultaneously, I'd really tighten up my diet and sleep. Understood about work and/or family causing problems (those things come first of course), but getting enough sleep is crucial.

I would advise against making major alterations to the program. Better to go to one of the other programs (Fighter or Zulu) your next block, imo.

Finally, I'm 43. Getting older is a benefit in some ways, as I feel like my goals and the ways I go after them are smarter now than they used to be. But you can't just run yourself into the ground and immediately recover from it, either.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

49 y.o. and here is my 2c:

1. There is no shame in lowering your TM to ~ 80% if it makes sense. Build from there. You might want to get AA book and look into different training modalities including my favorite - OWT template.

2. I increase my RI to 5min sometimes if needed. It does simple magic for squat and DL.

3. Don't hesitate to take extra days off if needed.

4. I eat above maintenance all the time. It costs me few extra lb but performance is more important.

5. Recovery is important. Personally, meditation helps me a lot. Generally, any type of energy work is great. Just simple 10 min of quite breathing on daily basis can make a difference.

Cheers.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

jzt

Post by jzt »

Adski wrote:Another problem could be that with operator, 85% is 3-5x3 reps not 5 reps.

Good catch!

Adski

Post by Adski »

jzt wrote:
Adski wrote:Another problem could be that with operator, 85% is 3-5x3 reps not 5 reps.

Good catch!
I didn’t mean to come across as negative at all, it definitely does pay to double check, I’ve had a couple of sessions where I’ve either forgotten the weight for the day, or the reps.....and things felt a little heavy.

At the OP, if it’s more than just the percentage/rep issue perhaps using a more conservative T max could be an option.

29bearcat

Post by 29bearcat »

Sleep is a wildcard because I work for a large city FD. 3-5 after midnight on a shift is more the norm than the exception.

I am confused, because in TB2 it has week 5 table states 3 x 5/85%. Is it different in TB3? I have read it, but I don't own that version of the book. The only 3 rep is the 90% week.

I have run operator for about 2 years. Not changing the program, but I have been looking into heavy-light-medium sets. There are days I come off of shift that I am fatigued and think this could help. I am finishing my 6 week block. Like I said, I am going on vacation in a few weeks. I won't have access to a squat rack, bench etc. So I thought it would be fun to experiment for THOSE 2 weeks. I will still use the same TM, weights and rep schedule etc. Just go heavy-light-medium to see how it works. If I did this, I would still do the exact same weight and sets as operator, just in a different sequence. Normally I just usually do 75% and 80% if I can not do at least a 3 week mini cycle because of vacation.

Resting is a good point. I have a tendency not to take a week off unless I am forced to. I just notice I mostly fail on the 85% week. I did lower my TM to 85% on squats and deadlifts, and kept push and pull at 90% TM. I would like to get 2 more years of good strength gains before I transition into the old war horse. I have read AA/own it. I like it, just not quite ready for it.

VenomousCoffee

Post by VenomousCoffee »

Bear, I just PM'ed you the current Operator details. Didn't want to post them in the wild.

29bearcat

Post by 29bearcat »

VenomousCoffee wrote:Bear, I just PM'ed you the current Operator details. Didn't want to post them in the wild.
I have been working off TB2 all this time. I never caught the different rep schedule for week 5 when I read it. Makes sense why the 5x5 @ 85% was usually the sticking point. I always thought it should be 3-5/x 4.

Since I am going to be relaxing a bit here in a week, I think I will re-read the 3rd edition to see what else I missed.

Thanks
Last edited by 29bearcat on Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.