Combining Op and Mass (for accessories)

MxS/SE/HIC/E
KayBee

Combining Op and Mass (for accessories)

Post by KayBee »

I had been looking at using Operator as teh core of a template but only focusing on one main lfit per day. The other lifts for the day would then use the sets and rep structure from the Mass template.

As an example:

Day 1:
Main Lift: Bench Press @ 70%
Secondary Lifts Squat and OHP at Mass template set and rep structure.

So all 3 lifts would occur each day, but only one lift would be done at Operator intensity.

This would then allow for some additional Third Tier finishing lifts to be added.

Structure wise, in some ways it's a bit 5/3/1 ish, a bit T1/T2/T3 ish (insert favorite tier system lifting program name).

I am thinking of becoming n=1 and trying it.

I know it's not the program, but I'd be keen to hear any thoughts or adjustments you'd consider making.

jzt

Re: Combining Op and Mass (for accessories)

Post by jzt »

So your three lifts are a Push, another Push and a leg movement.

Where is the logic in that? The issue with all powerlifting routines is the lack of pulls. Example of clusters (LOWER, PUSH, PULL):

Trap DL, Bench, Chin Ups

Squat, Press, Pull Ups

Deadlift, Dips, Rows

etc.

KayBee

Post by KayBee »

The pull comes about via 4th day which is Deadlift only

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Why do you want do use operator for one lift and mass for the others? You also mentioned a fourth day so not really operator.

You are doing a bastardised mass, operator, Zulu template on a rotating schedule

You would also be combining that with the old heavy, medium, light system popularised by bill starr and similar.

What’s the aim and why do you want to do it?

What does it give you over just using one of the other templates?

Aiwacht

Post by Aiwacht »

So are you really thinking of a small-cluster GZCL while rotating which exercise you treated as MS & which ones as MT? That could totally work, but it's not really much like TB anymore. Nothing at all wrong with it in my eyes, I like it. No harm in the experiment.

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

KayBee wrote:
I know it's not the program, but I'd be keen to hear any thoughts or adjustments you'd consider making.
If you have a history of writing programs for yourself which give you your intended results, then OK, my one suggestion will be below. But if you do not have that history then you should simply know, going into whatever you wrote for yourself, that in not following the proven in favor of something unproven, odds are you will get worse results. That can be OK, you will be lifting for years, not all of it will produce measurable gains, and for you to take a few weeks to experiment is no big deal.

So my one suggestion is that you do not consider the DL, especially once every few workouts, as anywhere near adequate for upper back work. For a few weeks experiment you can get away with almost anything, but at least know when you are leaving something out.

Actually I have a second suggestion. Answer Maxgrip's questions, the answers might make it easier for us to offer ideas, or for you to see a better way to get whatever it is you are after.

jzt

Post by jzt »

KayBee wrote:The pull comes about via 4th day which is Deadlift only
Deadlift isnt a pull movement in the sense that it works your back. Its a hamstring/glutes/lower back with some erectors and traps. Even then, 1 "pull" out of 4 days?

I strongly recommend you either stick to a known cluster, known template and integrate weighted pull ups or chin ups.

KayBee

Post by KayBee »

integrate weighted pull ups or chin ups.
Chins, pull ups, face pulls , band pull aparts and RC work I am very regular with (not all at once but some form of combination). I don't count them as my main programming as I see they are part of my shoulder and posture heath so I just do them, kind o flike core, I don't count it as part of my workout, I just do it.

Why program is this manner ?

The tier/brick systems are effective in my opinion and this is somewhat of a step towards heading more in that direction.

KayBee

Post by KayBee »

Where is the logic in that? The issue with all powerlifting routines is the lack of pulls
Interestingly the bench ,squat, ohp cluster is one from one of the TB books.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

KayBee wrote:
integrate weighted pull ups or chin ups.
Chins, pull ups, face pulls , band pull aparts and RC work I am very regular with (not all at once but some form of combination). I don't count them as my main programming as I see they are part of my shoulder and posture heath so I just do them, kind o flike core, I don't count it as part of my workout, I just do it.

Why program is this manner ?

The tier/brick systems are effective in my opinion and this is somewhat of a step towards heading more in that direction.
The idea behind the programming in the main TB books is high frequency, moderate volume training that allows you to fit strength work in around conditioning, tactical work and sports.

The extra volume you appear to be chasing is picked up through your sport or conditioning.

Have you considered doing OP I/A?
I usually only do 3 sets of squats, but will push my upper work for 4-5 rounds if I feel like it. Your lift percentage would stay the same, but you could manipulate volume instead.

You don’t have to do TB. Give your idea a go. I don’t really know enough to comment more.