2 minute rule

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Knollkopp

2 minute rule

Post by Knollkopp »

A short question about the 2 min rule:

As far as I understood the book the rule is for minimizing hypertrophy while maximizing strength gains.
Hypertrophy isn't a main goal of mine but it wouldn't be any problem if i gain weight. So would it minimize the strength gains if I do the exercises of op in a circle (sq, bench, wpu) with >2 min restbetween the same exercises but a shorter rest between the first and the second and so on?

I'm short on time for my strength training so this would be a great deal if it's fine with the rule.

03rockeater

Re: 2 minute rule

Post by 03rockeater »

Negative.

Check out the Q&A section of the book. It talks about how you can do a circuit (jump from bench to squat to deadlift and back to bench again), but you must wait 2 minutes between sets and of course, 2 minutes between exercises if doing a circuit.

It has been a long time since I trained for hypertrophy, but I can tell you that when I was doing strength training, I did put on a decent amount of muscle even though I wasn't trying. Lifting for just mass was a lot different and nowadays isn't practical for me because of the muscle soreness and extreme fatigue following a workout. I think you will still put on muscle if you follow TB precisely (assuming you are eating correctly), and your strength gains will be great. For adding some muscle it seems like most people would say:

-Stick with the minimum of 2 minutes between sets

-Do the maximum allowed sets for each exercise (if you have to do 3-5 sets, go with 5).

*Edit* spelling mistakes and added some comments

K.B.
Site Admin

Post by K.B. »

Stick to the two minute rule as per Rockeater. Three if you have the time. It's not just about minimizing hypertrophy, it's about maximizing strength.

Hypertrophy is more about higher overall volume, higher rep count, and nutrition. Operator with 4-5 sets + appropriate nutrition can trigger a LOT of hypertrophy.

VenomousCoffee

Post by VenomousCoffee »

I can definitely tell you that if you take a weight that's intended for you to do on squats for 5x5 with 3-5 minutes between sets (for example), and you try to do that with 1 minute between sets, you are going to wipe out at some point. You'd have to really drop the weight, which means you're missing out on the strength gains.

Knollkopp

Post by Knollkopp »

Thank you for your answers!
It's really not about hypertrophy but about the time spent in the weightroom. But I'll stick to the two minutes ;)

Pdlodge

Post by Pdlodge »

Regarding time in the weight room, this morning's workout (which was operator week 1) took only 23 minutes. I like it.

03rockeater

Post by 03rockeater »

Pdlodge wrote:Regarding time in the weight room, this morning's workout (which was operator week 1) took only 23 minutes. I like it.
That's real fast....but I bet you got a lot of good quality work in.

A tid bit for Knollkopp :

I've found that most of my "wasted time" in the gym comes down to doing too many warm up sets and also, not having my barbell preloaded before switching to squat or something. For warm-up sets I was waiting two minutes between sets but I don't think that is needed ..I'll save the two minutes for the regular prescribed lifts

Are you training at home or a gym?

Pdlodge

Post by Pdlodge »

03rockeater wrote:
Pdlodge wrote:Regarding time in the weight room, this morning's workout (which was operator week 1) took only 23 minutes. I like it.
That's real fast....but I bet you got a lot of good quality work in.
I just did the minimum, 3 sets of each exercise and only two minutes rest. Using a training max so the weights aren't that heavy