FIGHTER TEMPLATE AND TB 2

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Conor78

FIGHTER TEMPLATE AND TB 2

Post by Conor78 »

I have read both TB strength 3rd edition and TB conditioning and I also have Robin Enamit infinite as well. I have been using S and S by Pavel, Double KB routines and a lot of D Johns material for approx 2 years. I like the flexibility that TB gives in terms of aerobic development. I have previously focused on strength and hypertrophy but always felt conscious that my conditioning was suffering
I have tested my 1rm as prep for fighter template and I am planning to do this on Tuesday and Friday woth BP. SQ W Chin up and DL once a week. Should I use Base building now in conjunction with fighter run it for 8 weeks and then retest?

Tyr0331

Re: FIGHTER TEMPLATE AND TB 2

Post by Tyr0331 »

I had the same question since strength runs in six weeks blocks but BB is eight weeks. Probsbly wouldn't hurt to go full 12 on BB

K.B.
Site Admin

Post by K.B. »

Not sure if I understand the question 100%. Are you two asking if BB should be extended beyond 8 weeks because Fighter is done in 6 week blocks?

Conor78

Post by Conor78 »

Cheers
Was thinking that I might need to do that. I've read both books back to back in two days do I've probably overloaded myself. 2 days a week suits for weight training as that's all I can realistically commit to. I have kb, punch bags pull up bar at the house so I can do conditioning at the house. I'm not military etc just want a programme that keeps me well rounded in terms of fitness. TB Strength and TB 2 are the only books you would need. I wish I had read them years ago...

Conor78

Post by Conor78 »

I might have missed it in the books but I was looking the best way to combine the TB fighter programme with the conditioning programme . In TB2 it's stressed that you should undertake the full base building programme. The fighter template last 6 weeks and then retest the bb lasts 8. Should I just extend the fighter template to 8 weeks?
Thanks

K.B.
Site Admin

Post by K.B. »

Conor78 wrote:Cheers
Was thinking that I might need to do that. I've read both books back to back in two days do I've probably overloaded myself. 2 days a week suits for weight training as that's all I can realistically commit to. I have kb, punch bags pull up bar at the house so I can do conditioning at the house. I'm not military etc just want a programme that keeps me well rounded in terms of fitness. TB Strength and TB 2 are the only books you would need. I wish I had read them years ago...
Keep in mind, Base Building is a set of concepts, not a minute-for-minute protocol. The template in the book is an example of a standard approach. As long as you follow the hard rules (minimums + principles) you'll successfully get the benefits of Base regardless of how you customize it. Ok, so you have a few options if you're running it strength-first with Fighter:

1. Just stop after 8 weeks regardless of where you are with Fighter template. Take a few days, retest, begin Continuation.
2. Round it out to 9 weeks (6 week Fighter block + 3 week Fighter block - retest in between optional).
3. Run a full 12 weeks of Base. 12 weeks is a good length of time to focus on Base if you really want to hammer your aerobic capacity.

I don't like retesting at all during Base with a strength-first approach. During periods of high aerobic volume, your maximal-strength gains will slow down. So take on the mindset of maintaining your strength while you grow your aerobic system instead (during Base).

Conor78

Post by Conor78 »

Thanks K.B for the reply.. I hear what you are saying regarding the principles..it's been a while since I have worked on my aerobic capacity. I think I was deluded for a long them thinking a few swings and get ups would make me bulletproof. I started the fighter template last week bit I didn't but TB2 till today so I'll re adjust accordingly. I am pretty good with nutrition. 6 2 and about
218 lbs. A lot of what is mentioned in the book I can relate to. Did tons of hiit with kb and still couldn't shift a bit of belly fat. Both books are fantastic by the way... I have enough conditioning for two lifetimes

K.B.
Site Admin

Post by K.B. »

Conor78 wrote:Thanks K.B for the reply.. I hear what you are saying regarding the principles..it's been a while since I have worked on my aerobic capacity. I think I was deluded for a long them thinking a few swings and get ups would make me bulletproof. I started the fighter template last week bit I didn't but TB2 till today so I'll re adjust accordingly. I am pretty good with nutrition. 6 2 and about
218 lbs. A lot of what is mentioned in the book I can relate to. Did tons of hiit with kb and still couldn't shift a bit of belly fat. Both books are fantastic by the way... I have enough conditioning for two lifetimes
Kettlebells/swings are a great tool, but like any other tool they're not universal. They're a good fit for certain parts of the program (HIC/SE/GC), but not others. Good luck and looking fwd to seeing you chart your progress!

Tyr0331

Post by Tyr0331 »

K.B. wrote:
Keep in mind, Base Building is a set of concepts, not a minute-for-minute protocol. The template in the book is an example of a standard approach. As long as you follow the hard rules (minimums + principles) you'll successfully get the benefits of Base regardless of how you customize it. Ok, so you have a few options if you're running it strength-first with Fighter:

1. Just stop after 8 weeks regardless of where you are with Fighter template. Take a few days, retest, begin Continuation.
2. Round it out to 9 weeks (6 week Fighter block + 3 week Fighter block - retest in between optional).
3. Run a full 12 weeks of Base. 12 weeks is a good length of time to focus on Base if you really want to hammer your aerobic capacity.

I don't like retesting at all during Base with a strength-first approach. During periods of high aerobic volume, your maximal-strength gains will slow down. So take on the mindset of maintaining your strength while you grow your aerobic system instead (during Base).
Not trying to hijack this post but was wondering on why you would continue with the fighter strength template after 6 weeks during BB? It's my understanding that if you run the BB strength first option that at five weeks you switch to SE in place of the S sessions to finish off the eight week BB.

TangoZero

Post by TangoZero »

Tyr0331 wrote:
K.B. wrote:

Not trying to hijack this post but was wondering on why you would continue with the fighter strength template after 6 weeks during BB? It's my understanding that if you run the BB strength first option that at five weeks you switch to SE in place of the S sessions to finish off the eight week BB.
SE is not a mandatory, unless you're a pro (MIL/LEO). I believe that's mentioned in either 1 or 2, can't remember.