Do heavy swings fatigue CNS?

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Rick Deckard

Do heavy swings fatigue CNS?

Post by Rick Deckard »

Would heavy kettlebell swings have the same CNS/fatiguing effects as deadlifts? Stressing the "heavy" part. For example I can barely swing the 48kg more than 3 or 4 times two handed. If I did multiple sets of this would it cause the same stress to the body as a deadlift workout? They both seem to work the same muscles, including the posterior chain.

Edited by lennarn: Changed the title to describe the topic better.

J-Madd

Re: Theoretical Question

Post by J-Madd »

I really have not idea, but I'm not afraid of a priori speculation so I'll aver a guess. I don't think swinging the Beast will have the same CNS effects as the the DL, even if your max swings are only 2-3. First, the swing is a dynamic movement, and the DL is much more of a grind. Second, the amount of weight you are moving a max double or triple DL is probably a lot more than 48KG.

Once gain, this is rank speculation!

Rick Deckard

Post by Rick Deckard »

J-Madd wrote:I really have not idea, but I'm not afraid of a priori speculation so I'll aver a guess. I don't think swinging the Beast will have the same CNS effects as the the DL, even if your max swings are only 2-3. First, the swing is a dynamic movement, and the DL is much more of a grind. Second, the amount of weight you are moving a max double or triple DL is probably a lot more than 48KG.

Thanks J-Madd! I ask because I tried the Beast (for the first time) as a cluster finisher...and felt a little off & listless the day after. Similar to the feeling I get the day after heavy deadlift training. It might not be related at all, plus I didn't get a great sleep the night before either....so I'm merely speculating.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

Rick Deckard wrote:
J-Madd wrote:I really have not idea, but I'm not afraid of a priori speculation so I'll aver a guess. I don't think swinging the Beast will have the same CNS effects as the the DL, even if your max swings are only 2-3. First, the swing is a dynamic movement, and the DL is much more of a grind. Second, the amount of weight you are moving a max double or triple DL is probably a lot more than 48KG.

Thanks J-Madd! I ask because I tried the Beast (for the first time) as a cluster finisher...and felt a little off & listless the day after. Similar to the feeling I get the day after heavy deadlift training. It might not be related at all, plus I didn't get a great sleep the night before either....so I'm merely speculating.
It's a similar movement pattern and you just said you used a heavier load.

I think the important thing here is you've observed how heavy swings might affect you. Now you can plan your training accordingly.