Base building help/suggestions

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Fitnesswarrior

Base building help/suggestions

Post by Fitnesswarrior »

I'm training for a LE PFT and my current #'s are as follows with my goals next to it. I've decided to start off with base building (standard).

Push-ups - 25 (want 50+)
Sit-ups (1min) - 37 (want 55+)
300m Sprint - 70 seconds (need sub 50 seconds)
1.5 mile - 13:30 (want sub 10:30)
*Pull-ups - 5 (want 15+) - pull-ups aren't required

Endurance section I've already decided LSS runs.

Strength-Endurance is where my problem lies. KB mentions not to add exercises where you can't already do 15-20 reps. I was leaning toward using the Bodyweight Cluster (push-up, squats (assuming air squats?), pull-up, crunches, dips, back extension) but my pull-up and dips #'s are low. How should I address this issue? Also, could someone explain how to do back extensions? This is all very new to me so please bear with me and be patient.

For Weeks 5-8 I was leaning towards Fighter Template (BP, SQ, Bodyweight pullups, no deadlift). How exactly would I incorporate this into Base Building since Fighter is 6 weeks and BB is only 3 more weeks? I should mention I believe my strength is subpar in comparison to others. I'll address this issue when I get closer to finishing BB and begin both strength and conditioning programs. Is this the strength template I should go with to help reach my goals? Time is not a concern at the moment so there's no rush.

HIC - I'll switch up between #1-10 options for each session.

Another question, what is the proper way of doing a burpee since I've seen so many variations of it. Just the basic standard version.

Please tell me if I'm on the right track to meet my goals or if I should change or start with something else. I want to finalize my BB template soon so all advice and suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

J-Madd

Re: Base building help/suggestions

Post by J-Madd »

Fitnesswarrior wrote: my pull-up and dips #'s are low. How should I address this issue?
Instead of pull-ups you could do bodyweight rows (lie prone under a barbell on squat rack, and row yourself up until your chest touches the bar. You can vary the difficulty according to much bend you allow in your knees. Instead of traditional dips, try bend or chair dips. Also, if you need to add a couple dumbbell movements to cover these areas instead of bodyweight exercise, that won't be the end of the world.
Fitnesswarrior wrote: Also, could someone explain how to do back extensions?
This is usually done on a specialty bench. You can do it by lying perpendicular across a bench with your feed secured under a dumbbell rack or something else sturdy, Bend at the waist until you face nearly touch the floor, and then extend up until you are parallel to the floor. You will be pulling with your lower back and hamstrings.
Fitnesswarrior wrote: This is all very new to me so please bear with me and be patient.
No worries, this is what we are here for!
Fitnesswarrior wrote: Is this the strength template I should go with to help reach my goals? Time is not a concern at the moment so there's no rush.
. First, I believe you will just to the first three-week wave of a standard Fighter block for weeks 6-8 of BB. In the long run, you probably will want to move to Black+Operator for your continuation protocol, at least for a few blocks. That is when you will see the big progress in your strength. I you find that your just need more SE emphasis given your progress toward acing the PT test, then you could go with some thin like Fighter Bangkok.
Fitnesswarrior wrote: Another question, what is the proper way of doing a burpee since I've seen so many variations of it. Just the basic standard version.
There are a lot burpee purists out there who treat this exercise as if it should be judged with the rigorous standards of Olympic gymnastics. Don't get too caught up in all that. The basic version is simply the standard squat thrust with a push-up at the bottom and jump at the top. If you can't manage that right now, just scale it to what you an do. At this point I would rather see you bang out a bunch of squat thrusts than to gas out of a drill after only doing ten strict burpees. You can alway up the ante as your fitness progresses.

close_fox

Post by close_fox »

Fitnesswarrior wrote:I'm training for a LE PFT and my current #'s are as follows with my goals next to it. I've decided to start off with base building (standard).

Push-ups - 25 (want 50+)
Sit-ups (1min) - 37 (want 55+)
300m Sprint - 70 seconds (need sub 50 seconds)
1.5 mile - 13:30 (want sub 10:30)
*Pull-ups - 5 (want 15+) - pull-ups aren't required

Endurance section I've already decided LSS runs.

Strength-Endurance is where my problem lies. KB mentions not to add exercises where you can't already do 15-20 reps. I was leaning toward using the Bodyweight Cluster (push-up, squats (assuming air squats?), pull-up, crunches, dips, back extension) but my pull-up and dips #'s are low. How should I address this issue? Also, could someone explain how to do back extensions? This is all very new to me so please bear with me and be patient.

For Weeks 5-8 I was leaning towards Fighter Template (BP, SQ, Bodyweight pullups, no deadlift). How exactly would I incorporate this into Base Building since Fighter is 6 weeks and BB is only 3 more weeks? I should mention I believe my strength is subpar in comparison to others. I'll address this issue when I get closer to finishing BB and begin both strength and conditioning programs. Is this the strength template I should go with to help reach my goals? Time is not a concern at the moment so there's no rush.

HIC - I'll switch up between #1-10 options for each session.

Another question, what is the proper way of doing a burpee since I've seen so many variations of it. Just the basic standard version.

Please tell me if I'm on the right track to meet my goals or if I should change or start with something else. I want to finalize my BB template soon so all advice and suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

How much time do you have before taking the PFT for record?
"You oughta know not to stand by the window. Somebody see you up there." Talking Heads. "Life During Wartime." Fear of Music, Sire, 1979.

Kinetic

Post by Kinetic »

I would go with Base using the Alpha circuits first, like this;

SE 3 x week (Alpha)
E 3 x week (mostly running)
Rest 1 x week

Transition to Black for Continuation with Fighter Bangkok, keep SE in the mix at least until your PFT's finished.

As far as your last 2-3 weeks for Base, don't worry too much about finishing up a weight training cycle. That portion of Base is meant to re-introduce you to weights, not be a meaningful max-strength block. So just end it after 2 weeks, or stretch it out to 3 if you want to round it off.

Fitnesswarrior

Post by Fitnesswarrior »

Thank you all for the responses thus far I truly appreciate it. I just wanted to iron out my SE part since I think I have the other sections down now.
Im thinking I'll use the Alpha circuit for SE: push-up, sit-up, back extension, air squats. Maybe chair dips. A concern of mine is neglecting pull ups. While its not counted on my PFT I'd still like to put up a decent number, but at the same time understand its at the lower end of my priorities.

Since BB SE is 5 weeks and alpha circuit template is for 3 weeks do I just stay with the 30 reps (as stated for week 3 in alpha) for weeks 4 and 5? Sorry to be so nitpicking I really want to make sure I set up my program correctly.

Once I finalize SE I'll post my final schedule to see what you all think.

@close_fox....I have approximately 1 year although I'm aiming for 6 months give or take.

K.B.
Site Admin

Post by K.B. »

Fitnesswarrior wrote:Thank you all for the responses thus far I truly appreciate it. I just wanted to iron out my SE part since I think I have the other sections down now.
Im thinking I'll use the Alpha circuit for SE: push-up, sit-up, back extension, air squats. Maybe chair dips. A concern of mine is neglecting pull ups. While its not counted on my PFT I'd still like to put up a decent number, but at the same time understand its at the lower end of my priorities.

Since BB SE is 5 weeks and alpha circuit template is for 3 weeks do I just stay with the 30 reps (as stated for week 3 in alpha) for weeks 4 and 5? Sorry to be so nitpicking I really want to make sure I set up my program correctly.

Once I finalize SE I'll post my final schedule to see what you all think.

@close_fox....I have approximately 1 year although I'm aiming for 6 months give or take.
Stay with 30 reps for weeks 4-5 as well. I strongly recommend keeping pull-ups or chins in your SE cluster. Cap them at 15 if you have a low max - don't go to 30 reps like the rest of your SE cluster. Break them up into mini-sets of 2-5 if you have to in order to complete each set.

Fitnesswarrior

Post by Fitnesswarrior »

Here is my finalized template. Please let me know if I should make any corrections or have any further suggestions. I hope its not confusing, but if so let me know and I'll clarify. I'm anxious to finally begin this journey.

Weeks 1- 5
Day 1 - SE
Day 2 - E
Day 3 - SE
Day 4 - E
Day 5 - SE
Day 6 - E
Day 7 - Rest

SE Exercises - Push-ups, Sit-ups, Back Extensions, Squats, Pull-ups, Chair-Dips
- Substitute BB Template SE sessions with Alpha Circuit #'s for sets x reps
- Just to be clear everything should be bodyweight right and for squats I do air squats?

E Sessions - LSS Runs

Weeks 6-8
Day 1 - Fighter
Day 2 - HIC #1-10
Day 3 - Recovery
Day 4 - Fighter
Day 5 - HIC #1-10
Day 6 - E
Day 7 - Rest

For HIC I'd like to use the session that includes hill sprints, but unfortunately I don't have any hills close by. I know I would progress much faster, but I'll have to make due with the other options. I'm thinking I may have to resort to the treadmill option more frequently as the weather is starting to change. I'll be sure to do do them on an incline setting.

Again, thank you all for your input and help. I now have a much clearer picture of what to do. If this looks good, I'll try reporting in to update on my progress.

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

Fitnesswarrior wrote:For HIC I'd like to use the session that includes hill sprints, but unfortunately I don't have any hills close by.
I'm in the same boat. There are literally no hill options for me so I just use 400 meter sprints in place of hills and 200 meter sprints in place of short hills.

close_fox

Post by close_fox »

You have time to get there, and you are already working. Good.

As you already know, you have to build up your base of fitness. It seems to me the 17 week sample program in TB2 would be ideal for your situation, but I'll leave that specific programming to the experts.

I do have more than my share of experience taking and passing PFTs, including the one you are training for. Once you have built your base of fitness, there is no substitute for practicing the actual PFT. Don't assume TB (or any program) will completely translate to the PFT. You can probably pass as a byproduct of being "in really good shape." However, unless you are a freak athlete, it will be difficult to get a great score without specific preparation. Not to mention, practicing the PFT will do wonders for your self confidence on test day.

I encourage you to look into strategy for running the 300m. There's plenty of online material to read on this. Few people can all out sprint for 300m. Especially after burning your hip flexors with sit-ups and maxing push-ups to boot. I divided the 300 into 3x100...1 build speed, 2 "float"...stride out and maintain momentum, 3 full sprint. You are running fast the whole time, but using these subtle phases will help keep you from gassing out at 225 or 250m.
"You oughta know not to stand by the window. Somebody see you up there." Talking Heads. "Life During Wartime." Fear of Music, Sire, 1979.

StayGrey

Post by StayGrey »

close_fox wrote:You have time to get there, and you are already working. Good.

As you already know, you have to build up your base of fitness. It seems to me the 17 week sample program in TB2 would be ideal for your situation, but I'll leave that specific programming to the experts.

I do have more than my share of experience taking and passing PFTs, including the one you are training for. Once you have built your base of fitness, there is no substitute for practicing the actual PFT. Don't assume TB (or any program) will completely translate to the PFT. You can probably pass as a byproduct of being "in really good shape." However, unless you are a freak athlete, it will be difficult to get a great score without specific preparation. Not to mention, practicing the PFT will do wonders for your self confidence on test day.

I encourage you to look into strategy for running the 300m. There's plenty of online material to read on this. Few people can all out sprint for 300m. Especially after burning your hip flexors with sit-ups and maxing push-ups to boot. I divided the 300 into 3x100...1 build speed, 2 "float"...stride out and maintain momentum, 3 full sprint. You are running fast the whole time, but using these subtle phases will help keep you from gassing out at 225 or 250m.

Great advice. A short period of specificity after building up general physical qualities is always a good idea, even if it's only 2-4 weeks. Also don't count on performing your best numbers on test day. The fatigue and stress will usually effect your numbers negatively. You don't rise to the occasion, you fall to the level of your training....so don't aim for just the minimums (which a surprising number of people in the LE community tend to do). Train for high numbers with the mindset that they might drop a little on test day.