New Wendler 5/3/1 program

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Barkadion

New Wendler 5/3/1 program

Post by Barkadion »

Interesting.. He is suggesting using TM as 85%, conditioning/cardio is a must, and ample diet. Accessories are optional. Recovery is a must.

"If you get fat when you train like this, it’s because you simply aren’t working hard enough to support the calories. You must EAT to recover. You must EAT to grow. "

https://jimwendler.com/blogs/jimwendler ... 1-for-size
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

xfitxm

Re: New Wendler 5/3/1 program

Post by xfitxm »

It looks a lot like Zulu with accessory but without the 4th day.

I'm curious about trying it, but never I'll be able to do 100 pullup nor dip :(

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

xfitxm wrote:It looks a lot like Zulu with accessory but without the 4th day.

I'm curious about trying it, but never I'll be able to do 100 pullup nor dip :(
Well, accessories are optional according to the Wendler's narrative..

nickgoldma

Post by nickgoldma »

Looks like a solid program. Not sure if I would do it because I had a challenging time progressing with some of his other work but I may give it another go. I sort of think that it would be interesting to cycle between a TB program and this program. Would anyone consider this?
Get after it!

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

nickgoldma wrote:Looks like a solid program. Not sure if I would do it because I had a challenging time progressing with some of his other work but I may give it another go. I sort of think that it would be interesting to cycle between a TB program and this program. Would anyone consider this?
Personally, I am happy with TB templates for now. I think I am all set for foreseeable future. But Wendle'r program is a good food for a good thought for sure!

Vagabond

Post by Vagabond »

That looks....challenging. I would probably have to live in the gym to finish one of those workouts with the 100 rep movements on top of everything else. And say goodbye to conditioning.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Vagabond wrote:That looks....challenging. I would probably have to live in the gym to finish one of those workouts with the 100 rep movements on top of everything else. And say goodbye to conditioning.
Not if you eat all those burgers and fries that are listed :lol:

xfitxm

Post by xfitxm »

Vagabond wrote:That looks....challenging. I would probably have to live in the gym to finish one of those workouts with the 100 rep movements on top of everything else. And say goodbye to conditioning.
Hahah Same thing for me.

Vagabond

Post by Vagabond »

The one thing I do like about this is that he's not shying away from multiple sets of heavy deadlifts.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

This is standard later Wendler fare, which means it's pretty awesome. Keep in mind that this is a get "swole" mass gain program. If you don't eat like you have a death wish, you are going to crash and burn on this program. It's a really great throw-back to Golden Era bodybuilding programs -- think John McCallum. If you want to get really big (and strong along the way) this is a great program.

That being said, for my money this program doesn't fit in to the scheme for an operational athlete. If you did this, your lifting will be a jealous mistress. You'er going to be sore. You will put a lot of time in the gym. He has you condition, but the conditioning is not an equal partner with the lifting. If you are a guy who needs to keep his weight down for physical standards, needs to be able to operator physically at work (even on 20 rep squat day) or in the ring/on the mat, and needs/wants to meet running standards this would not be a good way to go.