Mini Blocks for older/high milege atheletes

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Barkadion

Mini Blocks for older/high milege atheletes

Post by Barkadion »

I am borrowing the idea from G2B logs. G2B, I hope you wouldn't mind..

Here is few recommendation that were made by KB in G2B log

FOR

"older athletes and/or high mileage crosstraining athletes. Both tend to share similar training issues. By mileage I mean overall training volume, not specific to running."

KB's suggestions

- Max Strength x 3 weeks
- SE x 2-3 weeks
- Rest x 1 week

Or

- Max strength x 3 wks
- Rest x 1 wk
- SE x 3 wks

This kind of scheduling is a more orthodox approach to multi-domain fitness. As to the loading pattern for a shorter cycle - just follow the first or last 3 weeks of your chosen template. As long as you get a 70% to 90% range from start to finish you're good to go.

I am very interested in the idea. Do you guys have any thoughts, experience, or another ideas you can share/discuss?

It seems like a great approach to run 3 weeks of MS/HIC following by 1 week of SE/E on the regular basis. Basically, it allows you to keep mini BB throughout a year without compromising your MS and burning out. I am guessing that assistance work with 8-12 reps range can be qualified as SE in this case..

Well, I might be wrong..
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Green2Blue

Re: Mini Blocks for older/high milege atheletes

Post by Green2Blue »

Of course I don't mind. It's great info and if it helps someone else, great. We're all here to improve together.

K.B.
Site Admin

Post by K.B. »

Those comments are specific to G2B and his issues. So while it may help others in a similar situation - it's not blanket advice. Generally I lean more toward a 6 week/MXS + 3 week/OTHER set-up for the average bear. Especially if you haven't built up a high foundation of strength yet. It also heavily depends on how you prioritize fitness domains. An endurance athlete might do better with 3 week MXS blocks, whereas a recreational cross-training athlete is better served by 6-12 weeks MXS.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

K.B. wrote:Those comments are specific to G2B and his issues. So while it may help others in a similar situation - it's not blanket advice. Generally I lean more toward a 6 week/MXS + 3 week/OTHER set-up for the average bear. Especially if you haven't built up a high foundation of strength yet. It also heavily depends on how you prioritize fitness domains. An endurance athlete might do better with 3 week MXS blocks, whereas a recreational cross-training athlete is better served by 6-12 weeks MXS.
Thank you for the respond, KB. I read it as "OTHER" will depend on the personal goal/preference. Basically, that means stick to the standard TB template and allow some reasonable modifications/additions along the way.

Thanks again!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

I don't have experience with mixing in the "other" but the one thing I've noticed is that the older I get, the worse it is to take extended breaks from strength work. So for me at least, three/six weeks of strength then three weeks of something else probably isn't a good idea. Maybe it would work but I'm leery of trying it. What I am more likely to try, and may try this year, is slipping in some three or six week blocks of Fighter Bangkok, see how that works. That way can get in some SE but probably not lose much if anything on the strength.

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

TBPenguin wrote:I don't have experience with mixing in the "other" but the one thing I've noticed is that the older I get, the worse it is to take extended breaks from strength work. So for me at least, three/six weeks of strength then three weeks of something else probably isn't a good idea. Maybe it would work but I'm leery of trying it. What I am more likely to try, and may try this year, is slipping in some three or six week blocks of Fighter Bangkok, see how that works. That way can get in some SE but probably not lose much if anything on the strength.
I'll parrot some of KB; a lot of it depends on what kind of athlete you are or what category you fall in. Strictly going off this post it sounds like you're mostly into lifting and you do some conditioning on the side (could be wrong, just using this for discussion sake). I'd wager most people that come to TB from other lifting programs (like Westside or Texas Method) fall in this recreational strength-centric category. They're essentially lifters that want some decent cardio on the side, like the ability to pick up and run a half.

Whereas true multi-skilled athletes ("true" meaning in a strict sense, multiple fitness domains are held equal to each other or not, like an MMA fighter) don't hold strength training any higher than other aspects of training. An 8-12 week MMA fight camp is not going to be 12 weeks of maximal-strength barbell training, not even close. No one cares what your squat PR is. Instead it'll be structured similar to what KB's outlined, like mini-blocks where attributes are systematically trained based on priority. The first 3 weeks might be dedicated to maximal strength simultaneously with 4-6 weeks of base building style roadwork. Both overlap, but the maximal strength is phased out after week 3 while the roadwork continues. In place of max strength perhaps power or SE conversion is emphasized. After week 4 the roadwork/jogging is phased out and HIC or HIIT are introduced. Depending on the athlete's personal weaknesses more time might be spent on one attribute or another.

The example KB uses of an endurance athlete is another good one, it would be the polar opposite of your approach. The serious endurance athlete wouldn't be concerned at all about his 1rm or max strength in various lifts whereas he's probably religiously keeping track of his mileage and times the way you might with your lifting PRs. Strength is a little bit of icing on his cake, but it's not nearly as important. I bet you know exactly what your 1rms are at any given time on all your lifts. I'd wager you don't know what your current 6 mile time is or how fast you run a 400. Nothing wrong with that, different priorities for different folks.

TB is essentially do-it-yourself custom programming that covers a massive spectrum, therefore I think it's invaluable to know what category you fall in so you know what advice applies (or doesn't) to your situation.

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

DocOctagon wrote:I bet you know exactly what your 1rms are at any given time on all your lifts. I'd wager you don't know what your current 6 mile time is or how fast you run a 400. Nothing wrong with that, different priorities for different folks.

TB is essentially do-it-yourself custom programming that covers a massive spectrum, therefore I think it's invaluable to know what category you fall in so you know what advice applies (or doesn't) to your situation.
Hey Doc, great post, thanks for all that went into that. Overall I agree with you pretty much 100%, and the points on which I disagree aren't even really disagreements (I couldn't tell you my 1RMs or my running times) since you said you put it that way just for discussion. It's more that of all the domains, I have the hardest time regaining lost strength and that seems to be getting worse. I'm not much of an athlete (strength or otherwise) but can get back to mediocre well enough on the others. :lol: So I'll agree with you on pretty much everything, and add that maybe our adaptive abilities play a role in how we use or modify these programming structures.

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

TBPenguin wrote:
DocOctagon wrote:I bet you know exactly what your 1rms are at any given time on all your lifts. I'd wager you don't know what your current 6 mile time is or how fast you run a 400. Nothing wrong with that, different priorities for different folks.

Hey Doc, great post, thanks for all that went into that. Overall I agree with you pretty much 100%, and the points on which I disagree aren't even really disagreements (I couldn't tell you my 1RMs or my running times) since you said you put it that way just for discussion. It's more that of all the domains, I have the hardest time regaining lost strength and that seems to be getting worse. I'm not much of an athlete (strength or otherwise) but can get back to mediocre well enough on the others. :lol: So I'll agree with you on pretty much everything, and add that maybe our adaptive abilities play a role in how we use or modify these programming structures.
Absolutely. For your goals + situation (strength domain hardest to regain) your approach is 100% correct. It's not necessarily the answer across the board was the point I was trying to make during all my rambling.

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

DocOctagon wrote: Absolutely. For your goals + situation (strength domain hardest to regain) your approach is 100% correct. It's not necessarily the answer across the board was the point I was trying to make during all my rambling.
Doc I got your point and I appreciate it, you weren't rambling. I hope you will bonk me upside the head when I'm not thinking straight, so appreciate the inputs always.