Replacing OHP with KB snatch

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Tyr0331

Replacing OHP with KB snatch

Post by Tyr0331 »

Thinking about subbing in kettlebell snatches in place of OHP on my strength days. How would you guys program this as far as number of reps and sets?I know this would be unconventional in terms of the idea of a max strength day, but I think I would get more out of them and there really isn't time during the week to get them in other than my strength days

Fighter Bangkok template:

Day 1 SQ/KB snatch/WPU
Day 2 HIC
Day 3 HIC
Day 4 SQ/KB snatch/DL
Day 5 E
Day 6 SE(S&S)
Day 7 Rest

Thought about using the snatches as a finisher on my strength days when possible but I'm designating the GHDSU for a finisher if I have time and I would like to make sure I'm consistent on them
Last edited by Tyr0331 on Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J-Madd

Re: Replacing OHP with 1-arm KB snatch

Post by J-Madd »

Because most collections of KB's make big jumps in weight from one KB to the next, it is very difficult to program them using a percentage of 1RM. I played around quite a bit trying to come up with a way to incorporate the KB press into Operator. At the end of the day, I always came back to the ladder approach Pavel outlines in Enter the Kettlebelll. (I guess it's a classic for a reason!) Assuming you are using the snatch as a max strength exercise (not for SE) I would program your snatches using the same method. Work with a particular KB until you can get five "five rung" ladders, and then move up to the next heaviest.

I have done heavy snatches at the end of my strength days for three to five sets of three to five, but I think the ladder method is probably the better way to go.

Since you are doing Fighter, designate one day as your max effort snatch day and one day as an easier day. On the former, try to push to get a new ladder PR. On the easier day, keep your ladders one or two "rungs" lower than your best effort.

TangoZero

Post by TangoZero »

If you're going to use KBs you're probably going to be better off including them in a conditioning session or as a Finisher. Actually, the latest TB article might be a perfect fit for your sit:

http://www.tacticalbarbell.com/fobbits- ... ng-part-i/

If you want to snatch as part of your max-strength protocol, you're better off going the traditional route with a barbell. That way at least you can progress incrementally.

Tyr0331

Post by Tyr0331 »

J-Madd wrote:Because most collections of KB's make big jumps in weight from one KB to the next, it is very difficult to program them using a percentage of 1RM. I played around quite a bit trying to come up with a way to incorporate the KB press into Operator. At the end of the day, I always came back to the ladder approach Pavel outlines in Enter the Kettlebelll. (I guess it's a classic for a reason!) Assuming you are using the snatch as a max strength exercise (not for SE) I would program your snatches using the same method. Work with a particular KB until you can get five "five rung" ladders, and then move up to the next heaviest.

I have done heavy snatches at the end of my strength days for three to five sets of three to five, but I think the ladder method is probably the better way to go.

Since you are doing Fighter, designate one day as your max effort snatch day and one day as an easier day. On the former, try to push to get a new ladder PR. On the easier day, keep your ladders one or two "rungs" lower than your best effort.
I'm going to use that method. Thanks J-Madd

Tyr0331

Post by Tyr0331 »

TangoZero wrote:If you're going to use KBs you're probably going to be better off including them in a conditioning session or as a Finisher. Actually, the latest TB article might be a perfect fit for your sit:

http://www.tacticalbarbell.com/fobbits- ... ng-part-i/

If you want to snatch as part of your max-strength protocol, you're better off going the traditional route with a barbell. That way at least you can progress incrementally.
Been staying away from barbell snatches because I feel doing them and heavy deadlifts in the same day is counter productive. Just my thoughts on that. Although I've done thousands of reps on oly lifts, I've never had any kind of formal training on them, other than at my CF-Lv1 many years ago. That being said, I don't feel the risk vs. reward factor is there. Just my experience. I get way more out of powerlifting and kettlebell work. As far as using hem as a finisher, I could use J-Madd's recommendation but just take out OHP altogether and basically have a minimalist cluster of SQ/WPU/DL and in theory do the KB snatches last and call it a finisher. Maybe mix in my GHD work with them. Going to experiment. Like I said rest of my week is usually packed full of training. I'm trying to get away from 2x/days. Usually hiking during the day as it is