Training around Elbow Tendonitis

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Josh

Training around Elbow Tendonitis

Post by Josh »

Question: Has anybody had elbow tendonitis issues doing a Starting Strength style novice progression and then found that they were able to fix their elbow problems by switching to a periodized program like tactical Barbell?

I recently finished up a go at Starting Strength Linear progression. I have been battling elbow tendonitis intermittently through the process. My elbow would bother me, so I would drop the weight in order to dial in my form, which would cause the pain to stop. As I progressed linearly, the pain would come back when I reached a certain point in the progression. I had a couple of training sessions with a coach to make sure my form was correct. I got my squat up to 240x5, but had to reset a couple times due to elbow issues. Each time my elbow started hurting around 235.

The SS model is based on lifting maximal weight to force adaptation, something I can't seem to do without form breakdown.
I recently bought and read through The Tactical Barbell books and am going to try a couple of cycles of Operator, hoping the periodization will allow me to keeping squatting and benching injury-free.

I would appreciate any experience people have had with this issue, or switching programs from Starting Strength to Tactical Barbell.

Thanks

StayGrey

Re: Training around Elbow Tendonitis

Post by StayGrey »

This isn't medical advice, just sharing my own experience. I can't speak to elbow tendonitis exactly, but I had a similar issue with my knees when I was squatting with linear progression. I started getting "clicky" knees and my legs just felt frail and shaky on squat day like I was on the verge of tendon or joint problems. After switching to Operator it was like I was issued a new set of legs. Clicking and shakiness resolved and I have much greater control over the loads. I really do think waving the weights is healthier and more productive in the long run.

Green2Blue

Re: Training around Elbow Tendonitis

Post by Green2Blue »

Medial or lateral? (Golfers or tennis?)