HIC in bunker gear

MxS/SE/HIC/E
cws1992

HIC in bunker gear

Post by cws1992 »

Any other firefighters on here who do HIC in bunker gear? I'm looking to incorporate tire flips, sledgehammer, kettlebell swings, etc into HIC, while in bunker gear.

Anyone have suggestions on how to program my idea, I'm thinking something along the lines of this.

Tire Flip x 5
Kettlebell Swings x 10-20
Sledgehammer x 1 minute
Rest x 1 minute
Repeat
For 20 minutes

Maxrip13

Re: HIC in bunker gear

Post by Maxrip13 »

I do my conditioning in boots and a weight vest occasionally but i use it in a sport specific way. Eg sprints and carries as LEO. I used boots and my work pack for rucking in the past also.

I would recommend non explosive work to prevent the added weight/limited movement causing injuries.

Think sled/dummy drags etc instead of sledgehammer swings and tire flips.
Use these as a finisher for time.

Just my personal opinion.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

I think it's a good idea to move around in your gear once in a while to get used to it. I'll do a sub-max effort sprint once in a while when I'm on duty just to familiarize myself with how it feels and to make sure I'm not losing gear. In DT I usually have everyone train in gear for the same reasons.

However, I think the chances of injury and the restrictions in movement make regularly working out in full gear not ideal. But I'm a cop, not a hose dragger ;), so it might be different for you.

Wfd144

Post by Wfd144 »

I occasionally do a couple of different workouts in my bunker gear. I do it more as a diagnostic to check for improvement. I would rather push hard without the encumbrance of the gear. I do incorporate a weighted vest as as often as I can. That way I can work with the extra weight without the buildup of body heat. I'll do a workout with gear once a month or so to see if times improve and to "get comfortable being uncomfortable"