Need to switch squats.

MxS/SE/HIC/E
ivan178

Need to switch squats.

Post by ivan178 »

Hello! I had an ACL tear 4-5 years ago.

I tried to do front squats, and I managed to do them 4-5 months, but I'm starting to feel like if I'll end up breaking my knee if I keep doing them.
I have long legs + short torso, plus poor dorsiflexion/hip flexion (I keep trying to improve the flexion)

My cluster consist in.
WPU
Front squats
Military press
Which I'm doing 3x per week (Maybe would be an idea to switch to fighter and do it 2x per week?)

Any suggestion on what I could do instead of front squats (I don't think back squats won't kill my knee).
I can't really think in another exercise that could do the trick... (Maybe deadlift?)

I'm 23, 187cm and 77kg, if that does helps.
Thanks!

WallBilly

Re: Need to switch squats.

Post by WallBilly »

I would not give up on back squats without trying them. They have improved my knee health, and I have a bad ACL as well.

Just make sure you do them right. Look at some Mark Rippetoe videos on youtube or startingstrength.com

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Trap bar DL can be your choice..
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

K.B.
Site Admin

Post by K.B. »

WallBilly wrote:I would not give up on back squats without trying them. They have improved my knee health, and I have a bad ACL as well.

Just make sure you do them right. Look at some Mark Rippetoe videos on youtube or startingstrength.com
I'm with WallBilly on this one. If you've been medically cleared to squat - then keep them in the mix. Get some coaching for your form and start out light. I'd rather see someone use a 60-75% training max before ditching them completely.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

ivan178 wrote:Hello! I had an ACL tear 4-5 years ago.

I tried to do front squats, and I managed to do them 4-5 months, but I'm starting to feel like if I'll end up breaking my knee if I keep doing them.
I have long legs + short torso, plus poor dorsiflexion/hip flexion (I keep trying to improve the flexion)

My cluster consist in.
WPU
Front squats
Military press
Which I'm doing 3x per week (Maybe would be an idea to switch to fighter and do it 2x per week?)

Any suggestion on what I could do instead of front squats (I don't think back squats won't kill my knee).
I can't really think in another exercise that could do the trick... (Maybe deadlift?)

I'm 23, 187cm and 77kg, if that does helps.
Thanks!
WHat do you mean by breaking your knee? As in one really hurts and where specifically?
Have you thought about dropping weight or getting someone to teach you the movement?
Does bodyweight squats hurt it or only front/.back squats?
You can google goblet squats and sub them in.

Just a few options.

I have a bad knee myself and I can have some discomfit with squatting movements, but it gets much worse if I don't squat at all.

Play around with things like raised heels, depth and turning your feet out abit and see how that feels.
If that doesn't help see a doc for a proper diagnosis and if possible make it a sports orientated doc.

ivan178

Post by ivan178 »

Maxrip13 wrote: WHat do you mean by breaking your knee? As in one really hurts and where specifically?
Have you thought about dropping weight or getting someone to teach you the movement?

Just a few options.

I have a bad knee myself and I can have some discomfit with squatting movements, but it gets much worse if I don't squat at all.

Play around with things like raised heels, depth and turning your feet out abit and see how that feels.
If that doesn't help see a doc for a proper diagnosis and if possible make it a sports orientated doc.
like broking my ACL again, yeah, this week i'm gonna start new block with the last block squat weights, lowering it, if it doesnt work, i'll switch to back squats, I really don't want to skip them, so I'll try all you guys said.

Problem is I don't have enough dorsiflexion/mobility I think, plus I have really long legs, I stretch daily, but didn't see a lot of improvement.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

ivan178 wrote:
Maxrip13 wrote: WHat do you mean by breaking your knee? As in one really hurts and where specifically?

Just a few options.

like broking my ACL again, yeah, this week i'm gonna start new block with the last block squat weights, lowering it, if it doesnt work, i'll switch to back squats, I really don't want to skip them, so I'll try all you guys said.

Problem is I don't have enough dorsiflexion/mobility I think, plus I have really long legs, I stretch daily, but didn't see a lot of improvement.
Buy squat shoes or raise your heels on some way. This he lped my knee issues.