Base Building start over!

nickgoldma

Re: Base Building start over!

Post by nickgoldma »

Green2Blue wrote:Is it a standard cooper? If so I'd scrap those flutter kicks and do sit-ups. I'm not sure what your standards are but we require cadets to put elbows past knees for them.

Don't worry about the 300 just yet. Your swings, etc. will help with that for now.

Are you overweight? Might be none of my business, but body weight affects the cooper to a fair degree.

Keep up the hard work! Consistency is key.
Yes, I am overweight. Trying to lose that overtime. It's a challenge.

In my state, it's 29 push ups, 38 sit ups, a sit and reach and the run. I'm thinking using my SE as that?? What do you think?
Get after it!

nickgoldma

Post by nickgoldma »

Green2Blue wrote:Is it a standard cooper? If so I'd scrap those flutter kicks and do sit-ups. I'm not sure what your standards are but we require cadets to put elbows past knees for them.

Don't worry about the 300 just yet. Your swings, etc. will help with that for now.

Are you overweight? Might be none of my business, but body weight affects the cooper to a fair degree.

Also, do you think I should re-configure my SE sessions? Just looking for insight. thanks man.
Get after it!

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

nickgoldma wrote:

In my state, it's 29 push ups, 38 sit ups, a sit and reach and the run. I'm thinking using my SE as that?? What do you think?
Your SE seemed fine. Ya if you can get some of that weight off things will become much easier. Eat better, eat less (but not too little), I'm sure you know the gist.

nickgoldma

Post by nickgoldma »

Green2Blue wrote:
nickgoldma wrote:

Your SE seemed fine. Ya if you can get some of that weight off things will become much easier. Eat better, eat less (but not too little), I'm sure you know the gist.
Thanks man.
Get after it!

close_fox

Post by close_fox »

I encourage you to evaluate your training schedule in light of your LEO career goal. For example, why are you doing BJJ? You seem to have a very specific goal: getting in shape so you can train for a PFT. Is BJJ helping you accomplish that? Or would that training session be better spent on a specific SE session? Maybe you should put BJJ on hold until you can pass the PFT. Maybe not; it's obviously up to you.

The Alpha-Bravo section of TB and the Base Building section of TB2 (including the Sample 17 Week Program) have good information for you. If you follow the "do this" guidance there, you will build the base of fitness you need. Let others with more TB expertise than me Rx your continuation protocol. I can say with confidence that, at some point, you will need to devote training time to practicing specifically for your PFT.

Have you made contact with your Sheriff's Department applicant coordinator? They might provide physical training guidance for applicants. The quality of their guidance may or may not help you. If nothing else, it might make you aware of specific workouts (or maybe smoke sessions) you will be doing when you are a recruit.
Last edited by close_fox on Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You oughta know not to stand by the window. Somebody see you up there." Talking Heads. "Life During Wartime." Fear of Music, Sire, 1979.

nickgoldma

Post by nickgoldma »

close_fox wrote:I encourage you to evaluate your training schedule in light of your LEO career goal. For example, why are you doing BJJ? You seem to have a very specific goal: getting in shape so you can train for a PFT. Is BJJ helping you accomplish that? Or would that training session be better spent on a specific SE session? Maybe you should put BJJ on hold until you can pass the PFT. Maybe not; it's obviously up to you.

The Alpha-Bravo section of TB and the Base Building section of TB2 (including the Sample 17 Week Program) have good information for you. If you follow the "do this" guidance there, you will build the base of fitness you need. Let others with more TB expertise that me Rx your continuation protocol. I can say with confidence that, at some point, you will need to devote training time to practicing specifically for your PFT.

Have you made contact with your Sheriff's Department applicant coordinator? They might provide physical training guidance for applicants. The quality of their guidance may or may not help you. If nothing else, it might make you aware of specific workouts (or maybe smoke sessions) you will be doing when you are a recruit.
Well, I do BJJ because it is something I love and enjoy. I know at some point I will have to put it on hold when I get hired at some point. That is a given. I have also been doing BJJ awhile before I have picked up TB, etc so it is something that I attend at least once or twice a week at that. I feel that some of the training we do before we actually drill can help me with cardio, core strength, SE, etc though obviously it is a warm up, I feel it can help. Its like a circuit pretty much.

As for the PFT guidelines/standards they are this:

Push Ups - 29
Sit ups - 38
1.5 Run - 12:29
Sit and Reach - I think is around 16" or something of that sort.

I have friends who work at the department and they said that running is the biggest thing to work on, not only for the PFT but for the academy as well. I believe during the academy it is more of a LSS kind of deal. I hear for other PT, its a lot of bodyweight/SE (Push ups, sit ups, etc...).

Just a quick question- what do you mean by Rx? Just confused. As for the 17 week program, do you mean the tactical one LEO one? Either way, I am certainly down for any advice, etc that one may give. I just really stuck in the whole "analysis paralysis" type of deal, and over think and not execute the way I should. Just a thought on that. Do you think I should re-configure my week to week schedule I posted? Should I just go for the Sample one you brought up? Cheers. Thanks brother.
Get after it!

nickgoldma

Post by nickgoldma »

Continued from above, considering I have all three books by KB. I was thinking I might as well perhaps jump into the Tactical Barbell: Law Enforcement. I am also looking at the 17 week program which seems like a good fit, as well. I almost think I should go either of those routes.
Get after it!

close_fox

Post by close_fox »

Rx, as in the abbreviation for "prescribe."

It's good that you recognize when you are over-analyzing. You have to break that cycle with action. Look in your TB books and choose some kind of base building now. Decide now, commit now, and start executing now. No more thinking about it. Good luck, and I look forward to your progress posts.
"You oughta know not to stand by the window. Somebody see you up there." Talking Heads. "Life During Wartime." Fear of Music, Sire, 1979.

nickgoldma

Post by nickgoldma »

close_fox wrote:Rx, as in the abbreviation for "prescribe."

It's good that you recognize when you are over-analyzing. You have to break that cycle with action. Look in your TB books and choose some kind of base building now. Decide now, commit now, and start executing now. No more thinking about it. Good luck, and I look forward to your progress posts.
Thanks man, I appreciate it!

Gonna head out for a run now for 30m. You are right, time to get after it. Thanks again.
Get after it!

K.B.
Site Admin

Post by K.B. »

close_fox wrote:Rx, as in the abbreviation for "prescribe."

This doesn't get said enough. Excellent advice.