Building A Better Human

Train_Hard_Live_Easy

Re: Building A Better Human

Post by Train_Hard_Live_Easy »

Barkadion wrote:
I've never used AD for a long ride... How's that? Would you recommend that as LSS?
The AD, believe it or not, was originally designed for rehab purposes.... so it's actually a great tool to use for all manner of protocols...... I have an ipad set up on the shelf next to the bike so that, with headphones on, I can zone out on Netflix or whatever, if the session planned is a long single-bit-of-kit-type session.

I would not recommend paying attention to the HR monitor on the bike itself as these are grossly inaccurate..... I simply have my phone on the shelf telling me what my HR is at any given minute [I also use the benefit mode on the polar beats app, so that the voice guidance lets me know if I have to speed up or slow down]

Legs only, I find, is not enough to raise the HR enough, the arms are necessary as well.... but there is no need for speed.... other than numb 'nads, I feel pretty refreshed at the end [albeit sweaty as feck ;) ]

Good times.
Have a great one

Steve
Train Hard, Live Easy.
"What was hard to do, is sweet to remember" Seneca.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Train_Hard_Live_Easy wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
I've never used AD for a long ride... How's that? Would you recommend that as LSS?
The AD, believe it or not, was originally designed for rehab purposes.... so it's actually a great tool to use for all manner of protocols...... I have an ipad set up on the shelf next to the bike so that, with headphones on, I can zone out on Netflix or whatever, if the session planned is a long single-bit-of-kit-type session.

I would not recommend paying attention to the HR monitor on the bike itself as these are grossly inaccurate..... I simply have my phone on the shelf telling me what my HR is at any given minute [I also use the benefit mode on the polar beats app, so that the voice guidance lets me know if I have to speed up or slow down]

Legs only, I find, is not enough to raise the HR enough, the arms are necessary as well.... but there is no need for speed.... other than numb 'nads, I feel pretty refreshed at the end [albeit sweaty as feck ;) ]

Good times.

Thank you! Very helpful! I should give it a try on some rainy Saturday. HR strap on and hard rock mix from 80s should take care of the feelings :lol:
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Train_Hard_Live_Easy

Thanksgiving session prior to clients arriving for their group session.

Equipment: 2x24kg KBs, BB with fat grips, climbing rope, dip bars

After warm up and movement prep,

Clean & Jerks with 2xkb into Squats with 2xkb.
(2c&j, squat, rest, 4c&j, 2 sq, rest etc until 8c&j and 4 squats)
Rest 3 mins and repeat for 2nd round.

Then

3x8-12 drag curls with BB And grips.

Then

6 min of continuous work (cool down from the jerks and squats)

1 rope climb from lying to standing, (so arms only, feet pivot on floor)
3 dips
5 flutter kicks
Repeat until clock runs out

10 min cool down AD.

C&J and the squat combo is BRUTAL.
Have a great one

Steve
Train Hard, Live Easy.

Moz69

Post by Moz69 »

Train_Hard_Live_Easy wrote:Thanksgiving session prior to clients arriving for their group session.

Equipment: 2x24kg KBs, BB with fat grips, climbing rope, dip bars

After warm up and movement prep,

Clean & Jerks with 2xkb into Squats with 2xkb.
(2c&j, squat, rest, 4c&j, 2 sq, rest etc until 8c&j and 4 squats)
Rest 3 mins and repeat for 2nd round.

Then

3x8-12 drag curls with BB And grips.

Then

6 min of continuous work (cool down from the jerks and squats)

1 rope climb from lying to standing, (so arms only, feet pivot on floor)
3 dips
5 flutter kicks
Repeat until clock runs out

10 min cool down AD.

C&J and the squat combo is BRUTAL.

Like the look of that Clean & Jerk killer, nice HiC, how long do you rest between each set?
Have a good thanks giving
An old Scottish friend once said to me "A queer bird the fish" I never bloody knew what he meant.

Train_Hard_Live_Easy

Moz69 wrote:Like the look of that Clean & Jerk killer, nice HiC, how long do you rest between each set?
Cheers mate. Coming home to turkey and Pheasant cooking with a log fire burning away is freakin awesome!

Rest periods..... whatever is necessary for you to safely work through the next set...... look to keep it minimal but enough to allow safe C+Js....... don't be surprised at how compromised the breathing feels with the Jerks going into the Squats.
Have a great one

Steve
Train Hard, Live Easy.

Moz69

Post by Moz69 »

Train_Hard_Live_Easy wrote:
Moz69 wrote:Like the look of that Clean & Jerk killer, nice HiC, how long do you rest between each set?
Cheers mate. Coming home to turkey and Pheasant cooking with a log fire burning away is freakin awesome!

Rest periods..... whatever is necessary for you to safely work through the next set...... look to keep it minimal but enough to allow safe C+Js....... don't be surprised at how compromised the breathing feels with the Jerks going into the Squats.

turkey, pheasant n log fire, sounds great definitely beat my mackerel and boiled veg in front of the gas fire :lol:
An old Scottish friend once said to me "A queer bird the fish" I never bloody knew what he meant.

Train_Hard_Live_Easy

Equipment: BB, iron and 24kg KB

Warm up and movement prep. A twinge has surfaced behind left scapula. Will keep an eye on that.

Then 70% week

Fr Sq 4 x 5 @ 170# (pause at the bottom on reps 3 - 5 across sets 2 - 4)
OH Pr 4 x 5 @ 125#
Deadlift 1 x 5 @ 300# (felt the twinge here as well. - worked in there with ball and massage stick)

(1,2,3) x 2 on pull-ups. Supersetted between sqwwwwats and press.

Then,

EMOM FOR 10 mins alternating between the two exercises

10 x 1A swing @ 24kg
10 Hindu push-ups

10 min cool down AD ride.
Have a great one

Steve
Train Hard, Live Easy.

Train_Hard_Live_Easy

The twinge in the trapezius is easing up nicely, still played it safe with the movement that I felt it on on Tuesday (deadlift....it was felt during the initial warm up and movement prep, and then again on the initial reps of my top set on the deadlift, so played it fairly safe today)

Equipment: BB and iron and the AD6

After warm up and movement prep

FrSq 4x5 @ 170#
OHPr 4x5 @ 125#

Supersetted these two, with 2-2.5 min rest intervals. Felt great.

(1,2,3) x 2 on the pull-ups. These feel great too, no aggravation on the elbows.

Then

1 x 3 @225# RDL..... focus on the whole movement, max tension, no issues felt....moving on....
1 x 3 @275# conventional deadlift...... felt good, but not great.....finished here, rather than move onto 300#.

10 min cool down on AD, knew it would be a shorter session due to having clients arriving.
Have a great one

Steve
Train Hard, Live Easy.

Train_Hard_Live_Easy

'Kick Steve in the Ass' session today

Equipment: concept 2 rower and pull-up station.

Warm up and movement prep.

25 - 1
Odd - burpees
Even - cals on Rower

From 25 - 21 straight arm burpees
From 19 - 11 burpees proper (with push-ups)
From 9 - 1 Burpee pull-ups

Aim is not speed but strict form on all Burpee movements. Rather than flop up and down, maintain integrity of the movements, proper beginning and end to the push-ups. Come up from a squat position.

Well and truly fecked. Set the timer to 40 mins, finished with 4 mins 50s to spare. 8-)

Cool down 20 mins AD..... NEEDED.
Have a great one

Steve
Train Hard, Live Easy.

Moz69

Post by Moz69 »

Train_Hard_Live_Easy wrote:'Kick Steve in the Ass' session today

Equipment: concept 2 rower and pull-up station.

Warm up and movement prep.

25 - 1
Odd - burpees
Even - cals on Rower

From 25 - 21 straight arm burpees
From 19 - 11 burpees proper (with push-ups)
From 9 - 1 Burpee pull-ups

Aim is not speed but strict form on all Burpee movements. Rather than flop up and down, maintain integrity of the movements, proper beginning and end to the push-ups. Come up from a squat position.

Well and truly fecked. Set the timer to 40 mins, finished with 4 mins 50s to spare. 8-)

Cool down 20 mins AD..... NEEDED.
Like the variation on the burpees food for thought and I noice you always have a good cool down, compared to myself who just walks away I wonder if I should be doing something, have an old cross trainer knocking about wonder if I should use that or slow rope work.