close_fox TB Log

close_fox

Re: close_fox TB Log

Post by close_fox »

Jumped the gun with my last post...forgot I needed to test before starting BB. Got that done this week. Ran a PFT, rested a few days, then maxed on Grunt cluster exercises (OHP, FSQ, WPQ).

PFT
Numbers were down, as expected. As discussed in an earlier post, my recent op tempo has precluded me from getting the consistent, specific PT necessary to max a PFT. I will run another PFT after BB, and another after my Black+Op block. Might write a PFT-specific post at that time. I expect my score will improve during BB and jump up quickly once I start running HIC within Black.

Grunt Cluster
Shoulder Press 155*
Front Squat 225**
Weighted Pull-ups 5

Notes:
I didn't attempt a 100% effort max. I was feeling warning signs, so I backed off with some left in the tank. I don't have an ego hang-up about knowing exactly how many pounds I can lift. I'm certainly not going to push past warning signs to find out. I haven't consistently trained max strength in a while. A long while when it comes to shoulder press and front squat. Therefore, I am going to use a very conservative training max. If I start with a sub-100% "true" one-rep max, and work with 90% of that, then I will have that conservative training max.

*Shoulder press: Stopped at 155 when I felt a deep pinch between my shoulder blades. Not worth risking injury (especially a back injury).

**Front squat: Stopped at 225. Form started to break down, and I didn't want to risk injury from sloppy reps.
"You oughta know not to stand by the window. Somebody see you up there." Talking Heads. "Life During Wartime." Fear of Music, Sire, 1979.

Train_Hard_Live_Easy

Post by Train_Hard_Live_Easy »

Awesome effort
Have a great one

Steve
Train Hard, Live Easy.
"What was hard to do, is sweet to remember" Seneca.

close_fox

Post by close_fox »

BB Week 1

SE Circuits
3x20 reps
1min rest between exercises
2min rest between circuits

LSS: 30min run
Treadmill 1% incline

LSS: 30min run
Treadmill 1% incline

SE Circuits
20 reps (1min rest between exercises)
2min rest
20 reps (no rest between exercises)

Rest

LSS: 60min run
Outside (asphalt/concrete)
Notes: Not ideal. I wanted to get outside, but needed avoid hills to ensure my HR stayed down. I retraced a very boring route three or four times.

Rest

Week 1 wrap-up: No issues with motivation, joints, etc. On to Week 2.
"You oughta know not to stand by the window. Somebody see you up there." Talking Heads. "Life During Wartime." Fear of Music, Sire, 1979.

nickgoldma

Post by nickgoldma »

This looks outstanding, brother. I plan on doing the same "Sample Program for Tactical LEO Candidates". I really like what you have done while prepping for a few weeks of SE and LSS. I just may do the same like you recommended on my post. Looking forward to reading this.
Get after it!

close_fox

Post by close_fox »

BB Week 2

SE Circuits
3x30
1min after each exercise
2min rest after each circuit
Notes: Felt the increase in reps (from 20 last week to 30 this week).

LSS: 40min run
Treadmill 1% incline

LSS: 40min run
Outside

SE Circuits
2x30
1min after each exercise
Notes: Circuits today were much easier than 2.1. Strange. I was rested for 2.1, and today followed that and consecutive running days.

Rest

Treadmill 1% incline

Rest

Week 2 wrap-up: No issues with motivation, joints, etc. Looking forward to next week's ruck.
Last edited by close_fox on Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Im6-7

Post by Im6-7 »

Awesome log.

Moz69

Post by Moz69 »

Im6-7 wrote:Awesome log.
Plus 1 on that
An old Scottish friend once said to me "A queer bird the fish" I never bloody knew what he meant.

close_fox

Post by close_fox »

BB Week 3

SE Circuits
3x40
1min rest after each exercise
2min rest after each circuit

Notes: Circuits are getting long. I guess that's the point...

LSS: 50min run
Treadmill 1% incline

LSS: 50min run
Treadmill 1% incline

Notes: Heart, lungs, legs were fine. Time slowed down around minute 42. Got a little restless and ready to get off the treadmill. My distance covered during these runs is increasing, with HR staying down around 130. Tells me BB is working. With that said, today was supposed to be a 50min LSS triple. Not a run. I was used to days 2 and 3 each week being runs. Failure to follow simple instructions. Oh well, driving on.

SE Ciruits
2x40
1min rest after each exercise

Notes: More frequent rest/pause. Trying to keep legs somewhat fresh.

LSS: 30min

This was supposed to be a LSS run. My knees are a little stiff after the preceding four days, thanks to my extra running day mistake. I didn't want to risk having a bad ruck tomorrow. So I did 15min on one bike, and 15min on another bike. Waste of a day. Wouldn't even call it a workout.

Ruck: 120min with 50lb dry weight.

Notes: Got some elevation. Legs wanted to push, but I managed to keep the pace down.

Rest

Week 3 wrap-up: A careless error cost me some training quality this week. 3.3 was supposed to be a 50min LSS triple. I failed to check the text before heading to the gym, so I did a 50min LSS run instead. This caused me to take more rest/pause during 3.4 than I otherwise would have. It also caused me to downgrade 3.5 from a 30min LSS run to a terrible exercise bike waste of time. This obviously isn't the end of the world. I got the minutes in, and no real harm done.

close_fox

Post by close_fox »

BB Week 4

SE Circuit 1x50

Notes: Feeling the day 3.6 ruck a little in the legs and back. Glad today was only one circuit of 50s. Took rest pause a few times. Avoided coming close to failure.

Treadmill 1% incline

Treadmill 1% incline

SE Circuit 1x50

Rest

LSS: 90min run
Treadmill 1% incline

Rest

Notes: Long week of running. I don't feel overtrained, which is good. I wish had more to add. I'm just grinding through the reps and minutes. Not too much original thought on my part.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

close_fox wrote:BB Week 4

SE Circuit 1x50

Notes: Feeling the day 3.6 ruck a little in the legs and back. Glad today was only one circuit of 50s. Took rest pause a few times. Avoided coming close to failure.

Treadmill 1% incline

Treadmill 1% incline

SE Circuit 1x50

Rest

LSS: 90min run
Treadmill 1% incline

Rest

Notes: Long week of running. I don't feel overtrained, which is good. I wish had more to add. I'm just grinding through the reps and minutes. Not too much original thought on my part.
Nice work! I remember my 3x50 sessions left me begging for mercy :D
Good luck!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky