KS-90's Log

Green2Blue

Re: KS-90's Log

Post by Green2Blue »

You seem to use some pretty advanced running training techniques. Is there any particular strategy you adhere to?

KS-90

Post by KS-90 »

Green2Blue wrote:You seem to use some pretty advanced running training techniques. Is there any particular strategy you adhere to?
Ya man for now it boils down to:

Short Intervals with Calisthenics (don't need to do the Cals): 200-800 meter intervals for a total of 1.5-2 miles with short rest periods; I'm using 2 minutes, but 2:1 Rest to Work is good too. The goal is to finish the last interval of your session at roughly the same speed as the first. Then you try and run at least one of the intervals a little faster the next session... Having a quick training partner for these is a big motivator.

Long Interval(s)/Tempo Run: Basically running for time or distance at 90% Maximum heart rate; so anything from mile repeats, ten minute blocks of running hard, a 5k (fast five).. with the eventual goal of building up to 40 minutes total tempo time (long ways off for myself I think). If you don't use a heart rate it is basically an 8 out of 10; I've also seen it described as 30 seconds slower per mile then your 5k race pace or your 10k race pace.. Only used the heart rate monitor the last two times I did these, but it is good. If you see your HR dipping you know you need to pick it up.

and I am about to add these in...

Long Steady State: Easy Running 120-150 bpm/ Talk test. I am going to start with one LSS session a week of 3 miles then progressively add miles, and possibly go to 2 LSS sessions.

For me personally I am really liking it so far man. I don't feel beat up or anything, and I can see progression in my times.

Good thread about run training, and where I pulled the meat of this program: https://www.sealswcc.com/forums/forum/f ... start-here
Good free ebook a guy posted on the reddit page that affirms the above thread; and also explains when it is appropriate to use certain methods to build different kinds of "conditioning".. definitely worth the read: http://built-to-endure.blogspot.ca/p/bu ... tical.html

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

I really appreciate the time and effort you put into your response, thank you.

I utilized intervals and tempo runs in my last block (op black pro). It was all based on pace though. I found it difficult to stick to because I can't find a running app that measures current pace, it's all average pace which doesn't really help. And even when I did it on a treadmill where I could control pace, I often felt like I could barely keep up with the pace prescribed to me.

The method you described seems a bit easier to follow.

For the intervals you talked about, how do you try to increase the speed of an interval over the previous run? How do you track that it's faster?

For the tempo runs, I've read various things about using heart rate as a measuring tool versus pace, but obviously pace hasn't been working for me, and heart rate has worked for you because you're fast as hell. So I think I'll try your strategy next black block. Any recommendations on HRM's?

I'll be sure to read those links.

KS-90

Post by KS-90 »

Ya man I have tried intervals just running on the road, but I didn't really like it. I find the track much better. If I did not have access to a track I'd probably just use an app like run keeper (which shows pace as your running as well as distance travelled) or similar and bring some chalk and mark off 400 meters on the road or trail/ use some kind of landmark. Then at least you have something consistent that you can track over time. As far as pacing it is easier on the track, because you can just check your watch and then you can adjust as your running. If your having trouble holding your speed during intervals I would just dial it back a notch (less volume or intensity) as long as they are all consistent and you are given er' your going to get the right training effect and whats a few weeks to build up in the long run anyway.

For the tempo runs if it is a timed run ( ex 20 minutes at 90% MHR) then I just warm up and go out run as hard as required to get to 90% then just keep my pace there. I read about all those other methods I mentioned, and I did try them out, but I am going to mostly stick to timed runs and using the heart rate monitor then just progress the distance when I feel the need.. My reasoning for this is that I am fairly competitive with myself and I don't want to get into the habit of trying to beat/PR my tempo run times every week.. They are a training run so I want to make sure I keep them that way. The Heart Rate Monitor makes it simple and self-regulates pace - Stay at 90%

I just bought a cheap heart rate monitor it was like $70. It's a Sportline nothing special, but gets the job done.

So ya

Intervals: Track, Watch, try and improve the speed of your intervals each week while keeping all intervals at roughly the same pace.. So say you do 4x400 meters this week at 1.30s, 1.30s, 130s, 130s... Next week try 1.30s, 130s, 130s, 129s.. mine are usually a bit more spread out but that is the goal.

Tempo: HRM 90% and a time.. start slow and build if you need to.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

I can't totally relate to the comment about being competitive with yourself. It's exhausting and sometimes counter productive. Part of why I'm going to try two steps forward and one step back.

I really appreciate all of the advice. I'll definitely put it into practice.

KS-90

Post by KS-90 »

Wrapped up my first run at a 6 week "Fighter Template" last week and spent this week testing my lifts. Tested Bench Press and Deadlift on Tuesday, and then tested Weighted Pull-ups and Back Squat (which was not part of my Cluster) on Wednesday. I plan on testing my 1.5 mile on Saturday depending on how I am feeling.

My cluster for the last 6 weeks was: Bench Press, Deadlift, and Weighted Thumbless Overhand Chin-ups.

Bench Press went from 185 to 205 (+20 Lbs)
Deadlift from 315 to 335 (+20 Lbs)
Chin up from +55 to +65 (+10 Lbs)

I also tested my Back Squat and hit a smooth single at 245 which was easier then when I did it 6 weeks ago; All the hip mobility work really showed here.. Usually if I spend time not squatting I have a hard time getting depth and it just feels off.. These felt great other then my hip flaring up when I tried 265 (got stuck coming out of the hole).

Happy with the progression as my nutrition has not been great. Looking back I would be surprised if I hit 100g of Protein daily over the course of the last 6 weeks, and I have been burning the candle at both ends on the sleep. So pretty happy I made some improvements despite that, and I feel my running has improved as well.

So last 6 weeks..

Positives
*The frequent periodized style of lifting seems to work well; especially during busier times (quick workouts and improvement).
*Incorporating running/ conditioning was not a problem at all. Never felt sore or tired despite poor nutrition.
*Focusing more on mobility has been good. Hip/sciatic pain is way, way better then it was 6 weeks ago despite harder endurance workouts.
*Deadlift+Hip mobility maintained my Back squat.. I'd actually venture to say my form improved despite zero practice - due to mobility work.
*Focusing on Dead-hang Pull-ups has been a plus as well. I used to bang them out and they are much smoother and controlled now.

Negatives
*Nutrition. I don't eat poorly; I just don't eat enough. I was busy, but I need to start preparing more meals in advance.
*Sleep. Not enough of it. Some due to schedule. Mostly just not going to bed at a reasonable hour

Train_Hard_Live_Easy

Post by Train_Hard_Live_Easy »

Good man, nice improvements and I really like the learnings you are getting from it.....
Have a great one

Steve
Train Hard, Live Easy.
"What was hard to do, is sweet to remember" Seneca.

NFARCH

Post by NFARCH »

KS-90 wrote:
My cluster for the last 6 weeks was: Bench Press, Deadlift, and Weighted Thumbless Overhand Chin-ups.

Bench Press went from 185 to 205 (+20 Lbs)
Deadlift from 315 to 335 (+20 Lbs)
Chin up from +55 to +65 (+10 Lbs)

I also tested my Back Squat and hit a smooth single at 245 which was easier then when I did it 6 weeks ago; All the hip mobility work really showed here.. Usually if I spend time not squatting I have a hard time getting depth and it just feels off.. These felt great other then my hip flaring up when I tried 265 (got stuck coming out of the hole).
Nice job!....those are some solid jumps

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

KS-90 wrote:Ya man I have tried intervals just running on the road, but I didn't really like it. I find the track much better. If I did not have access to a track I'd probably just use an app like run keeper (which shows pace as your running as well as distance travelled) or similar and bring some chalk and mark off 400 meters on the road or trail/ use some kind of landmark. Then at least you have something consistent that you can track over time. As far as pacing it is easier on the track, because you can just check your watch and then you can adjust as your running. If your having trouble holding your speed during intervals I would just dial it back a notch (less volume or intensity) as long as they are all consistent and you are given er' your going to get the right training effect and whats a few weeks to build up in the long run anyway.

For the tempo runs if it is a timed run ( ex 20 minutes at 90% MHR) then I just warm up and go out run as hard as required to get to 90% then just keep my pace there. I read about all those other methods I mentioned, and I did try them out, but I am going to mostly stick to timed runs and using the heart rate monitor then just progress the distance when I feel the need.. My reasoning for this is that I am fairly competitive with myself and I don't want to get into the habit of trying to beat/PR my tempo run times every week.. They are a training run so I want to make sure I keep them that way. The Heart Rate Monitor makes it simple and self-regulates pace - Stay at 90%

I just bought a cheap heart rate monitor it was like $70. It's a Sportline nothing special, but gets the job done.

So ya

Intervals: Track, Watch, try and improve the speed of your intervals each week while keeping all intervals at roughly the same pace.. So say you do 4x400 meters this week at 1.30s, 1.30s, 130s, 130s... Next week try 1.30s, 130s, 130s, 129s.. mine are usually a bit more spread out but that is the goal.

Tempo: HRM 90% and a time.. start slow and build if you need to.
Good write-up and great progress!! Congrats! Thanks for sharing.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

KS-90

Post by KS-90 »

Thanks Fellas.